Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14C Black bear Hunt

Default 14C Black bear Hunt

Anyone heading into that area for black bears. Been scouting for about 2-3 weeks and have seen a couple shooters. Going to be dropping into ship creek, anybody know of past hunter in this area and what they made out with. Freezer is still empty.

Daniel

I hiked back in the Bird Creek drainage on Sunday, saw lots of bear sign but no bears. I want to go hunt in there for moose, did you see any moose when you have been in there by chance?

Isn't Bird Creek a draw for moose? I was in there a bit last year helping with an archery sheep hunt for my uncle. We scouted a time or two and hunted for a few days. Lots of Griz sign and sightings. Had a huge billy walk through camp - pretty awesome. Didn't see much for moose sign, but some - didn't see any moose.

no bulls a couple cows. went up high to some of the alpine berry ptches and saw a grizz or two, really want a dang blackie. anyone took a blackie from this area before,

no it's Harvest Ticket. It has a weird season but it's draw according to the regulations. It opened today, Sept. 7

I replied in the other thread, I'm going to try the RL460 hunt starting this weekend. I'll share info with you.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

If anyone thinks they might need help packing an animal, I def need the practice. PM me and I'll reply with my #. thanks

went back behind the nature center at the beginning of May for blackies, too early for them, only saw one bear and he eluded us everytime. He was on the top higher than the sheep and goats! Extremely tough hunt near icicle glacier, some pics but no success. It was hard going up after the same bear 3 days in a row, everytime you'd get almost within range the wind would swirl and their gone. An unsucessful hunt still beats workin. Good luck to you, plenty of bear sign, as well as a lot of wolf
    Attached Images Attached Images

pics look good. im heading into ship creek this weekend. good spot to glass if u go to the eagle lake and symphony lake trail head go down that trail for about 5 min and look up and right. there will be a trail going up and over the ridge. got spotting area, u can also drop into ship creek from there and be off military land. just a sugestion. good hunting to all

Let us know how that works out for you Danny, should be good. I hear packing stuff out of there is alot of fun

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

well back from ship creek, did alot of glassing and spot and stalk but it seemed right when i was going to make up my mind to go for one they would slip over the ridge into a registration area. now at least i know where these guys are hiding. all the alpine areas with berries are covered right about now. well maybe next weekend. im off tuesday and wednesday if anyone is planning on going after a bear mid week.

How much of a hike is it to get into the Ship Creek area? I'd be down to skip class and hunt Tuesday if I can be back in town before 6.

Jon

I left the house one year at 9AM, shot a moose, called in friends with two horses, cut it up and packed it out and back to town by 6PM. I was 2.1 miles in from the ski hill. The late Registration hunt.

from where i live in eagle river its a 3 min drive to the trail haed and once at the trail head give or take 10-15 min be at atop of the ridge glassing. where i was glassing at i had hiland valley to my left and ship creek to my right.

If you are wanting some blackies, PLEASE go just above Friday creek (via Jim Creek) towards the Knik Glacier and start picking them off! There's waaaaayy too many of them back there and they have killed off my moose honey-holes!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Well seeing im off tomorrow and and wednesday, i just might head out that way, how are the river crossing on foot. been back there in a jeep a couple time but never that far back.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    If you are wanting some blackies, PLEASE go just above Friday creek (via Jim Creek) towards the Knik Glacier and start picking them off! There's waaaaayy too many of them back there and they have killed off my moose honey-holes!
    I'd love too, but this isn't very easily accessible without a wheeler/4x4 is it?

Jon

so hiked up mt, baldy in eagle river and does anyone know where or what creek seperates the eagle river hunting area and the chugach state park are. bcaus i could of sworn i was glassing into the peters creek area but just wasnt that sure to go after one of those bears i was looking at. an help would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by danny09 View Post
    so hiked up mt, baldy in eagle river and does anyone know where or what creek seperates the eagle river hunting area and the chugach state park are. bcaus i could of sworn i was glassing into the peters creek area but just wasnt that sure to go after one of those bears i was looking at. an help would be good.
    You have to be in the Ptarmigan Valley drainage to be considered in the Peter's Creek/Chugach State Park area. The first valley to your left when on Baldy is not legal. If you go up to the base of Blacktail Rocks and hang a left, then you're good to go. I saw a guy carrying a shotgun up the back side of Baldy along with his bird dog, both decked out in hunter orange. I hope the guy didn't think he was in a legal area for ptarmigan hunting. He still had 2 miles to go.

Brian, thanks i guess its a good thing i didnt go afte the one i saw at the old abandoned homestead halfway down the valley. Would anyone know how the peters creek area is looking like for black bears. im heading in there this weekend just wanna know if its worth my time, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast