Thread: What percent of BOG proposals pass?

Question What percent of BOG proposals pass?

This was asked awhile back and didn't get a response. Any idea what percentage of the 200+ Board of Game Proposals will actually be implemented? There are some bizarre proposals out there (same with the Board of Fish proposals).

Tim

Thanks for bringing this up again, Tim. We tend to flip out about some of the proposals, like the changes to dipnetting being discussed over on the fishing forum now, but how many of these really are non-issues? Maybe someone with more experience in the BOG process can give us some general ballpark figures.

-Brian

TCC............do you really expect an answer to that question? Any answer you get will be speculation. The BoG process isn't a coin toss. You can't just say.......oooohhhhhhhh.............about 7 % usually pass. It all depends on alot, I mean ALOT of variables. Some proposals are nuts, some are well written, some are almost guaranteed to pass.
    The BoG meetings aren't a game show. If there are any proposals that you are concerned about, talk to F&G about them, or maybe even the person or group that submitted them. Attend advisory committee meetings for your area.
    I don't think your question has a logical answer.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Perhaps a percentage or number is irrelevant. What should concern us most, is WHICH ones will be adopted. I have seen some real LuLu's adopted, shocking most everyone. I am never surprised anymore about the outcome of the meetings. No doubt I will NOT be surprised again this year.

Default MT

I agree, it is a very subjective process. I was just wondering if there were any trends or any predictablility to the process. I have sent in comments and may attend the Anchorage meeting.

Tim

Those proposals supported by local Advisory Committees and backed by sound reasoning have the best chance of passing.

One trend we can expect is the increase in off-road vehicle restrictions. There are more hunters with better equipment every year....

i plan on being at the meeting and hopfully speaking on some of the proposals if all goes well. takes alot of people putting in two cents to make a dollar.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink Right on Martentrapper

Some proposals are much better than others. If you submit a proposal, you should first off, make sure your facts are straight. If you state something that is obviously false, the Board may not spend much time looking at your proposal - and it's likely doomed. If you have a really good idea, and you present it well, you have a very good chance of it being passed. If your local Area Biologist does not agree with you, then you have an uphill battle, but you can still get it passed, IF the Board thinks it's a good idea. In these cases, it really helps to come to the meeting in person to testify, and have friends do the same thing. Written testimony is good too, but not as good as being there in person. You have to keep in mind a few things, initially, make sure the proposal is biologically workable - you have to think out all the scenarios of implementing it. Second, if the proposal is controversial, make sure it's worth it, meaning, make sure the regulation will be worth the flack it will bring. Oh, and lastly, use spell check. You want to show the Board you're smart enough to know what you're talking about.