Thread: Drumming in September?

Question Drumming in September?

I was out with my GSP, Max, the past evening and morning looking for grouse -- beating brush under some aspen patches southeast of town.

I did not happen upon any birds -- but I did hear the unmistakable sound of a grouse drumming in the distance. At least that is what I believe it was -- I just thought that drumming typically occured earlier in the year. The first couple of times I heard it - I basically disregarded it. By the 5th or 6th time -- it was hard to deny.

Anyone know if this is possible? Common?

See below. Jim posted this for me on another thread. I'm heading out for the last few days of moose season this week. I'll give yo a call next week, and maybe we can get together.

Hoyt,

I'm very sorry I failed to check PMs. I'm always in a hurry, on the move, and sometimes I'm a computer idiot. I just now answered your message and a couple of others. Thanks.

And a ruffed grouse drumming in July is very cool, and quite territorial. In the spring they do it to attract mates (while also attracting goshawks, great horned owls, foxes and the like!), and you may hear them in the fall as the grouse disperse from broods and try and take up residence elsewhere. Cock birds will drum in the fall to tell all these interlopers to stay away. On one particular snowy day last season, probably the last of September or the first of October, my terrible hearing did detect some drumming in a patch of woods where two of my Brittanys were hunting. My pup Charlie pointed the bird and a lucky shot put the bird in my vest. If I have time this evening I'll perhaps post a picture of said bird and pup.

Take care and good luck!

Jim

Kyle,

That's pretty cool! And I must tell you how that drummer wasn't all that far away from you. It's a very decieving sound and it's hard to zoom in on. That's a good thing, in my opinion. He either was warning you to stay away, or perhaps another grouse.

I've been concentrating on sharptails so far this season and haven't messed with the ruffs just yet...except for the couple my dogs have found and pointed. One I should have had. A going away shot through not all that thick woods. But I did make a bunch of ruffed-grouse-like shots on sharptails in the thick stuff to redeem myself.

Keep at it. The best part of autumn is nearly upon us.

Jim

I must have missed that earlier discussion, Ryan -- Thanks though and thanks for the clarification, Jim. It was definitely hard to determine exactly where the drumming was coming from -- very hard. I gave up trying to get closer as the setting sun was getting the best of me -- but I'll be back . . .

Regards.