Thread: Inflatable Boat Tips

Default Inflatable Boat Tips

Hello,
    My name is Don and I'am the owner of Hy-Seas Inflatable boats.
    We manufacture Neoprene Hypalon boat tubes for all makes and sizes of inflatable boats.
    We also have an online website full of pictures and related information.
    If I can help with any Inflatable boat related questions please feel free to ask and I will do what I can to help.

Take Care
    DonR

Default valves and inflate/deflate

Don,

Yeah when filling inflatables can you talk about valve position using pumps manual and electric for inflate and deflate. Might seem like dumb question but I'm new.

Rick

Don,

Do you make bladders for other boats? I have a one man pontoon that has dual bladders on each side. They are cheaply made and pop like a pool toy. The company has been good about replacing them but I was hoping for something tougher.

I've got an old hypalon (metzler) raft - rubber accessories (oar locks are about the largest and worst off on the boat) have all started to delaminate badly and even in some cases to cause leaks. It appears that in some cases the glue stayed adhered to the outer fabric (the layer that is painted) but that then seperated from the more woven looking fabric underneath. This is how leaks are occuring. I tried a heat gun and careful removal of the accessory to minimize this, but attempts to remove accessories and reglue have ripped off some of that outer layer.

Any advice on a repair technique? Reglue right over the top (will that seal up that woven layer so no leaks occur?) or is a large patch over the affected area needed to address the leak followed by regluing the accessory on to the patch?

Oar lock is probably 12" x 6" area on the tube...so a patch over that would be very large...would putting the oar lock onto a patch that size result in a strong mount? Or would the interaction of forces on the oar lock cause the patch to fail?

thanks for the post!

Default Repair issues for delaminating boat

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    I've got an old hypalon (metzler) raft - rubber accessories (oar locks are about the largest and worst off on the boat) have all started to delaminate badly and even in some cases to cause leaks. It appears that in some cases the glue stayed adhered to the outer fabric (the layer that is painted) but that then seperated from the more woven looking fabric underneath. This is how leaks are occuring. I tried a heat gun and careful removal of the accessory to minimize this, but attempts to remove accessories and reglue have ripped off some of that outer layer.

Any advice on a repair technique? Reglue right over the top (will that seal up that woven layer so no leaks occur?) or is a large patch over the affected area needed to address the leak followed by regluing the accessory on to the patch?

Oar lock is probably 12" x 6" area on the tube...so a patch over that would be very large...would putting the oar lock onto a patch that size result in a strong mount? Or would the interaction of forces on the oar lock cause the patch to fail?

thanks for the post!
    Pardner, you've got some work ahead of you with this one. Before you do anything I'd contact Tracey Harmon at Alaska Raft and Kayak; I do not personally know anyone more qualified than he to advise you on this.

It would be presumptuous for anyone to offer advice to you over the internet without actually seeing the boat first. You need to bring it to a reputable shop and get a real assessment. This boat may not be worth repairing at all, or it might be fine with some minor work. No way to know without seeing it.

Delamination can be very serious, depending on exactly what is delaminating and how extensive the damage. Tracey will likely be able to spot issues you have not identified as well.

Best of luck!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

good advice by Mike

Thanks Mike...I knew it wasn't good when I saw that woven looking fabric underneath!! The worst and most obvious problems was the doughnuts around the valves delaminating! When I first got it I had nightmares about being on the water and that doughnut delaminating the rest of the way and an entire tube dumping in no time flat! Short story I fixed that last summer (removed, cleaned and reguled) - went pretty well and they seem to be like new. Also, applied a couple patches. Spent quite a bit of time on both jobs prepping to ensure a good job - learned a lot about it doing that work.

This boat is small (12' maybe) and is a 1978 or 79...so it's no stretch to say it's not worth fixing, but unfortunately as far as boats go it's this or nothing (other than my float tube!) and the only thing I can afford to invest is my time and sweat...so I'll be giving it a go one way or another!

Heard lots of good things about AK raft and kayak and I'll try to give a call here soon and see if I can get some advice. Is there anyone you'd recommend in the Fairbanks area? I was going to go talk to the guys at Test the Waters out the highway - they're the only shop I know of in town. I might be stuck emailing pictures if there's nobody good locally.