Thread: Haul Road Sheep

Default Haul Road Sheep

I'm headed up the haul road and would like to take advantage of all hunting possibilities. Seems like everyone goes up the haul road to harvest caribou, what about sheep? I've read thru the regs again and again and can't seem to figure it out. For example, if I'm driving thru Atigun Pass and see a full curl can put a stalk on it? I plan on going down to the fish and game in the morning to try to clarify but any first hand knowledge is appreciated. FYI, I'm planning my hunt Sept. 25-Oct 4th.

Yes, but it is still archery only within 5 miles of the highway. Stranger things have happened but that area gets a lot of hunting pressure so it is extremely unlikely.

Sheep season closes in most areas on September 20th. I don't have my regs on hand, but I'm fairly certain the same is true up there.

In general, though, yes you can bowhunt sheep up there. The same firearms/archery restrictions apply to all big game within the Dalton Highway corridor. Within 5 miles of the road it is bow only. I almost took a wolf right in Atigun with a bow a few years ago, but he got up from his bed about 5 seconds too early. With a rifle it would have been a piece of cake, but alas, thems the rules. In future years you can certainly look for sheep as you drive north. Understand that 50 other hunters each day are doing the same, though. If you really want to have a reasonable chance of seeing a legal ram, spotting from the road is not going to be your best option.

So just what are you asking here? If your asking if you can hunt sheep in the corridore. Yes but with bow only, just like Bou.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Thanks, I am bow hunting.

It was just the lack of talk about "haul road sheep hunting" made me a little nervous. I can appreciate having company with the other 50 or so hunters, but are those just sheep hunters? The regs change to 3 sheep after OCT 1 (harvest)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxindy View Post
    The regs change to 3 sheep after OCT 1 (harvest)
    No, they don't. At least not within the Dalton Highway corridor, they don't. You'll be passing through 24A prior to Atigun (1 full curl ram, closes Sept 20th), a very small portion of 25A (1 full curl ram, closes Sept 20th), and 26B remainder (1 full curl ram, closes Sept 20th). The only portions of the above units that allow three sheep and hunting after Sept 20th are the portions of 25A east of the middle fork of the Chandalar River (you will be west of that river) and private lands within the Gates of the Arctic National Park in 26B, none of which are found anywhere near the Dalton Highway.

Sorry, but you're out of luck with regards to sheep hunting along the Dalton Highway during that date range.

Thanks Brian, you saved me a trip to town. For some reason I just wasn't making sense of the regs.