Thread: 35 Whelen has arrived

Default 35 Whelen has arrived

35 whelen 001.jpg35 whelen 003.jpg

Model 700 Classic 35 Whelen. 22" Barrel with factory sites. Showed up a few days ago. The 338-06 was feeling lonely.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Model 700 Classic 35 Whelen. 22" Barrel with factory sites.
    Gotta love anyone's 35, especially in a Classic configuration. I'm confident you've a winner in that combo.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The only problem I can see is the wood is to nice to pack in the elk woods, I have an old style BDL stock that came off of a donor rifle that should fit the bill when I take it into a lodgepole patch. I would also like to replace the 4x Nikon with a Leupold some time down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    The only problem I can see is the wood is to nice to pack in the elk woods, I have an old style BDL stock that came off of a donor rifle that should fit the bill when I take it into a lodgepole patch. I would also like to replace the 4x Nikon with a Leupold some time down the road.
    My exact thoughts were.....man that's to purdy to scratch up!

There have been some dandy rounds developed off of the old 30-06 case and for your neck of the woods I'd say you own the best two. Your in real good shape with both 338-06 and a Whelen.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    There have been some dandy rounds developed off of the old 30-06 case and for your neck of the woods I'd say you own the best two. Your in real good shape with both 338-06 and a Whelen.
    Yup, when I'm walking out through the woods with one of the 30-06's big brothers, the deer and elk usually jump out and say " Take me Take me!"

you can't beat a "lucky gun", congrats on your whelen. my favorite load is a 200 gr corelockt over imr4350 powder in a federal case. most any load in the whelen is a good one though. i presently have three.
    remington 700 custom, 22" douglas #4 contour with an h-s precision stock.
    sako long action, 24 obermeyer #3 contour with a mcmillan stock.
    remington 700 cdl, 24" stock barrel and standard wood cdl stock.
    all are good shooters, easy to load for and deadly hunting rifles.
    happy trails.
    jh

Sweet! Perhaps when you name it "Thumper" would be appropriate!
    As for the wood, Hmmm, well I bet that was one of the reasons you bought it - it may not be the "classic" if'n ya put it in a plastic coat!
    One of my favorites to hunt with is a Win 70 Super Grade - asolutley beautiful wood - yes it nows bears some light scratches, yes I worry some about it, but man when I am out with it - it just feels right! I say use the wood stock, if at some point you scar it up they will only be tributes to a man using a fine rifle for what it was meant to be used for! When you are ready for the rocking chair then have it re-done - or better yet sit back and admire and remember how ea mark got on it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Mine is Ruger Mk II. It has moose and caribou to its name already, but, strangely enough, I never seem to run into bears when I'm carrying it. Maybe they know when its coming....
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Sweet! Perhaps when you name it "Thumper" would be appropriate!
    As for the wood, Hmmm, well I bet that was one of the reasons you bought it - it may not be the "classic" if'n ya put it in a plastic coat!
    I never said anything about a plastic coat, its an old BDL walnut stock that came off of an early 7mm mag that got turned into a 358 Norma. It should fit real nice, and still has the nice look of wood.

Awesome and very beautiful much less being powerful. I love the 35's
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Had a .35 Whelen AI in Rem 700. Nice rifle, but I went the other way. Since I had a .338-06 and couple other .338s, I ditched the Whelen.

Too many guns, in too many calibers. My .338-06 shoots a 230gr FailSafe flatter than the Whelen AI could, and I have a mold for heavy cast bullets as well. I live in Alaska. Have owned a lot of various chambered rem 700s, but ditched them also for winchester or sako.

Whelen is a great rifle. If I lived in the lower 48 and didn't need a heavy handgun, a .35 Whelen or .350 rem mag and a .357 N frame would be all the hunting guns I'd need. The .338 bore just has a better selection of bullets for my needs. Had a Classic at one time and the stocks are the finest of all that Rem ever put on a factory grade rifle. Hope you enjoy your rifle forever!

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    Had a .35 Whelen AI in Rem 700. Nice rifle, but I went the other way. Since I had a .338-06 and couple other .338s, I ditched the Whelen.

Too many guns, in too many calibers. My .338-06 shoots a 230gr FailSafe flatter than the Whelen AI could, and I have a mold for heavy cast bullets as well. I live in Alaska. Have owned a lot of various chambered rem 700s, but ditched them also for winchester or sako.

Whelen is a great rifle. If I lived in the lower 48 and didn't need a heavy handgun, a .35 Whelen or .350 rem mag and a .357 N frame would be all the hunting guns I'd need. The .338 bore just has a better selection of bullets for my needs. Had a Classic at one time and the stocks are the finest of all that Rem ever put on a factory grade rifle. Hope you enjoy your rifle forever!
    for the practical hunting ranges that a medium-bore (standard cartridge) rifle would be used for, there is no advantage in one over the other. there are plenty of 358 caliber bullets out there avail to load. You're logic is absurd, bizarre, and ridiculous. So you're saying a 35 Whelen is a "Lower 48" rifle??

No need for criticism here. I didn't read that Lester said one was better. He simply stated that he did'nt want so many calibers and in the fork of the road he "went the other way". His needs are his, not ours.

His logic has been in my mind as well. I really would like a 35 Whelen, but, do not want to add yet another caliber to my list. Hence, I may, one day re-chamber a shelved 30-06 to a 338-06 because I already have a 338 cal rifle and plenty of 338 cal bullets.

By the way thats a beauty of a Rem classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post

His logic has been in my mind as well. I really would like a 35 Whelen, but, do not want to add yet another caliber to my list. Hence, I may, one day re-chamber a shelved 30-06 to a 338-06 because I already have a 338 cal rifle and plenty of 338 cal bullets.

By the way thats a beauty of a Rem classic!
    Thanks for the compliment, that is suppose to be an upgraded stock. As far as the debate over the whelen and 338-06, just get one of each, I did