Thread: Moose near Fairbanks

Default Moose near Fairbanks

Hi All,

I live in North Pole/Fairbanks and am curious about Piledriver slough. I am thinking about putting in a canoe and maneuvering down towards the Tanana looking for a moose while I go. Due to my newborn I don't want to take off too far and this hunt would be close. The only problem is that it is close to North Pole and Eilson AFB, so I'm worried about how hard its been hit already. Has anybody heard about this place or is it even worth it. I'm only going to get one weekend and would like to find something.

That is in the FMA so is a bow only area which means you have to have your IBEP course card, and the only way you will know if there are moose there is if you get out and scout.

Piledriver isnt in the FMA because it is south of the flood channel.

Yeah Piledriver isn't in the FMA, I was just asking if a lot of people had already scored in that area. I know there are cows in there, so I assume there will be some bulls. I'm just tryin to get some feelers out there. See if anyone has heard anything.

A sizeable length of Piledriver Slough runs through Eielson AFB, which is bow only for moose and requires a base permit and a qualification shoot specific to the base.

There are a fair number of hunters in there every year. I suggest you do it very early in the morning and late in the evening. It isn't the greatest area simply because it is so close and easily accessible. You're unlikely to come across many big bulls there during hunting season, but the chances are definitely better there than sitting in the Lazy Boy at home.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

cavtrooper94,

kylemac is correct a good part of piledriver slough runs through Eielson property. It wouldn't hurt to give Eielson DNR a call 377-5182 and get a clear cut answer of where you can and can't hunt. As for hunters in the area, on Eielson property, I have not seen that many moose hunters in that area. There are folks out waterfowl hunting so just be mindful of that. Hope the info helps you out a little.