Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot this guy?

Default Would you shoot this guy?

My Elmendorf Archery tag starts tommorow so I spent today chasing moose with my camera and practicing calling a bit. Its a little early for calling, but this guy came in about 10 minutes after I started. There is no chance I would shoot him in a spike/fork/50 area, but I would be ecstatic to see him tommorow evening with my tag! How wide would you guess he is? I spent about 4 hours with him and a few much larger bulls today and at one point I was within 10 yards of him so I have a pretty good idea how wide he is.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

those are some big mosse ears!! I would guess about 40.....????

Cory---that is a great picture, as far as shooting him--depends upon how important it is to you to fill that tag--seems to me if he is around day one---he will be around later--unless someone else tags him first. I am guessing that he is 40" wide because his antlers flair in, and there isn't much mass to his paddle. Good luck with your hunt, I so miss that place!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47" my guess ,They say eye to eye 10"

52 inches. Crush it!

42-44". I surely wouldn't shoot it if it was a 50" area.

I think a yard stick would fit well inside his rack, I would guesstimate 5 - 6in on either side of that - 46 - maybe 48?
    Nice pick 4 sure!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

That is a shooter. I am sure glad there are people that would let him go so i can shoot him.

That bull is not 50 maybe 48 in an any bull area that moose is burger. To close to risk it in a S/F 3 browtine or 50 inch area he's a breeder.
    The amount those antlers would shrink as you walked up to him after you harvested him would be amazing.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Nope ... I would guestimate him in the 43-45 range and not take the shot.
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.

He's not hunting in a 50" area, though. He has an any-bull tag.

If it were me and I were hunting in an any-bull area, then absolutely, I would let an arrow fly if given the chance.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    My Elmendorf Archery tag starts tommorow so I spent today chasing moose with my camera and practicing calling a bit. Its a little early for calling, but this guy came in about 10 minutes after I started. There is no chance I would shoot him in a spike/fork/50 area, but I would be ecstatic to see him tommorow evening with my tag! How wide would you guess he is? I spent about 4 hours with him and a few much larger bulls today and at one point I was within 10 yards of him so I have a pretty good idea how wide he is.
    LOL spent most the moring with the same view, with the boy. sure that guy is not up here? i would say might do 42 max..

nice shot Cory. good luck
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

On an any bull tag I'd let the air out of him in a New York second. He's pretty thick through the body and bound to be t-a-s-t-y.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    On an any bull tag I'd let the air out of him in a New York second. He's pretty thick through the body and bound to be t-a-s-t-y.
    My sentiments exactly!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I figured the replies would be all over the place. After spending an awful lot of time really close to him I would say his is between 42-44" tops. My hunt is an any bull hunt and does not produce too many bulls that much bigger than that. I would be very happy on this hunt to get within bow range of a bull like this. Here is another shot of him with a significantly larger bull for comparison. I am guessing the big guy to be around 62-65 inches. I have photographed that bull 4 years in a row now. he dissapeared for a while during the rut last year and showed back up in early to mid Oct with a bullet hole in his left antler. It was pretty cool to see him in there today and that he made it to another September!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

nice pictures! and yes if I had an any bull tag I would get him. My biggest factor with wether or not to shoot would be how close is he to the truck!

HuntNPhotos, I sent you an Email, your PM were full! You can PM me back or email at thezinkers at yahoo. Sorry not sure what email I used here.

And either of those bulls are dandy.
    Last edited by Zinker; 09-06-2010 at 23:19. Reason: additional text

I would never pass up a legal animal to find a legal animal. Good luck; sounds like you have it all figured out! Share the results; good scouting and good hunting!

Nice image Cory.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

It would be hard not to shoot him given the chance ,but that is a very good archery permit. I've only drawn it 1 time in 20 yrs .
    If you do like I did and shoot the first one mine was a 36" bull .You might wish you had waited for the big boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast