Thread: Snap!

Cool Snap!

So NSTIW -fishing one of my favorite stretches of one of my favorite small water 'bow streams, when I feel the line hesitate; I go to set the hook, and then SNAP! My **** 3 wt. (with 6 lb test tippet) snapped in half above the grip.... If you have ever wanted to see a grown man on the verge of tears, you would have liked to be a fly on that proverbial wall...

Now don't get me wrong. I've broken rods before, but never from the pressure of the line - pressure that the 6 lb test could hold up to no less!

To add insult to injury, I then had to wade in to remove my fly from the log that I so expertly set the hook into.

Thank goodness for lifetime warranties... I now have the 3 wt rod in the mail from this incident, the 5 wt reel in the mail for a broken click pawl, and the 5 wt rod recently back from the manufacturer for a broken eyelet... And I BABY my gear!!

Just wanted to vent to some folks who will feel my pain - I know I am preaching to the choir...
    Thanks for listening

What brand and model?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    What brand and model?
    Ah the $36,000 question... It's a well known/popular brand with a lifetime warranty.

I'm a firm believer in not naming names when it comes to rod breakage - If a rod breaks, it's almost always the end users fault regardless of manufacturer... I have a sneaking suspicion that in this case it broke because I had been using my 5 wt a lot more than my 3 wt this summer and we all know how dangerous a jealous women can be!

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Ah the $36,000 question... It's a well known/popular brand with a lifetime warranty.

I'm a firm believer in not naming names when it comes to rod breakage - If a rod breaks, it's almost always the end users fault regardless of manufacturer... I have a sneaking suspicion that in this case it broke because I had been using my 5 wt a lot more than my 3 wt this summer and we all know how dangerous a jealous women can be!

A men to that one!

Default Every one has an achilles

Agreed, it's normally operator error, but many models have a chink in their armor that folks may need to know. I have snapped two Orvis T3's (they now call them Hydros) each after two years of good use. The interesting part is that they both broke on a hook set on a twenty ish inch rainbow with a flesh fly during late September. Even more interesting is that both times it broke two inches above the cork, then again 6 inches up from there (imagine the area with the model and serial just dropping into the water). Orvis replaced both rods, but obviously after lots of use these rods stress in a certain way. I was stunned the first time it happened, sounded like a 22 going off in my hand...the second time wasn't so shocking.

That said, I LOOOOOOOVE this six wt....it throws like an eight, has a perfect balance and fighting butt and looks good. The new Hydros they sent me this spring is sweet as well, we'll see what it does after a few hundred busted fish.

It seems that busted gear comes in groups, hopefully yours is done for now.