Thread: Any users of the .338 Federal for goats?

Default Any users of the .338 Federal for goats?

Have any of you used the .338 Federal on mountain goats? Curious to know what your results were, bullet used, distance shot, Etc.

I haven't used it, or goat hunted. I think the 338 Federal is a great cartridge. But, you will limit yourself (or present yourself with greater challenges) by using a cartridge in this class. Beyond 200 yards, you'll need a range finder with angle compensation and you'll need to know the winds more accurately. For that size cartridge, I think you'd have better range flexibility with a 260 Rem or 7mm-08.

I'm a big fan of .338 Fed...

Trajectory matches the 30-06 with 180gr bullets and has energy to match until a long way out there.

Heavier bullets would be a shorter range proposition but they're still shooting fairly flat to 300yds. The Kimber 84M in .338F has got to be the lightest production centerfire rifle I've ever handled at just a smudge over 5lbs. A sub 6lb rifle is a definite possibilty with off the shelf items.

What's not to like?

Maybe it wouldn't be my first choice for a goat but it certainly wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Yes, the Kimber 84M in .338 Federal is a great rifle. I have one and it is very light but manages extremely well and shoots MOA. I have not used it for goat but wondered if anyone has. I have began several posts on the .338 Federal over the past two years and not much has been written in response with regards to animals harvested. Many have spoken about the ballistics and compared it with the .308 and the .358 Win, a few but not many have stated they have taken xxxx game from xxxx distance with xxxx bullet. I take that to mean not many folks are using this caliber for Alaskan hunting.

i'll be honest with ya, i do not have one but i do want to convert my Winchester 670 .243 to a 338 fed some day. Its a great rifle and i love the trigger, i dont want to get rid of it and i hate the 6mm... so converting it is the answer for me on this. I like the 338 Fed's ballistics and since i have a lifetime licence in NY (i got it a few years before i decided to leave that dung hole) so i dont have to get an out of state licence to hunt there, i figured it would be a great rifle to take back for white tail.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

CHAPS- I don't have any harvest reports involving the .338 Fed. but it so closely mimics others with regards to energy, trajectory, and the bullets are so well used in the 338-06 and .338WM that I'd be awfully comfortable with it.

Hopefully you'll get out and give us some field reports!

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    I have began several posts on the .338 Federal over the past two years and not much has been written in response with regards to animals harvested. Many have spoken about the ballistics and compared it with the .308 and the .358 Win.... I take that to mean not many folks are using this caliber for Alaskan hunting.
    It's a great cartridge, but if availability and selection are any indication not many people outside of AK are using it either. My wife hunts with a 338 Federal and I've no qualms about its performance, but I realize that where you hit the animal and the bullet that is used determines killing efficacy. If you do your part in selecting the proper bullet for the intended quarry and then place that bullet appropriately the animal has no option available other than a quick death--regardless what the headstamp reads.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The .338 Federal is a step-child ctg, like the .358 Win. Great ctgs for use in a brush-country carbine, but not longrange propositions.

.338-06 or .338 winchester mag is much more capable. Only reason to favor the .338 is to have access to the high Ballistic Coefficient bullets. A 215gr Sierra is likely a better choice than any of the lighter bullets, unless you are chasing velocity. The .338 federal case is just too limited in capacity to make it a first choice for anything in AK. My opinion...

Neck up the .284 winchester to .338 and then you have something to work with. Ballistic twin of the .338-06, but really needs a Long Action to meet its potential. For goat or sheep, why not go 6.5-284 or the 6.5x55? Lapua and Norma both make 155gr semi-spitzer bullets. Not enough for bear? Neither is the .338 Federal.

Default 338 federal load for goat

handloader magazine has some great 200 grain bullet loads that are 2700+ with safe pressure and great accuracy in my ruger hawkeye (3/4 inch @ 100) set 2.5 inches at that distance and any goat 300yds + is meat in the freezer. the powder used is tac and the loads are on loaddata.com good shooting

Thanks mountaineer,
    I just shot another deer two nights ago with this caliber in Kimber M84 Montana using the Barnes TSX 185gr. clean .338 entry hole in right shoulder, about 1.5" exit hole in left mid ribs. The insides were shredded like burger. quick kill.

1Cor15:19,
    Nice passage of scripture! I like it! What animals has your wife shot with her .338 Fed? Thanks in advance!

I took my 338Fed on a goat hunt, but didn't get to use it. I did use it on Kodiak blacktail, with excellent success. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on another goat hunt. Barnes 210 TTSX seemed to be the ticket for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    I haven't used it, or goat hunted. I think the 338 Federal is a great cartridge. But, you will limit yourself (or present yourself with greater challenges) by using a cartridge in this class. Beyond 200 yards, you'll need a range finder with angle compensation and you'll need to know the winds more accurately. For that size cartridge, I think you'd have better range flexibility with a 260 Rem or 7mm-08.
    I would agree with you if you were using heavy bullets, but the .338 Federal does very well with a Barnes TSX or a Partition around 180 grains in weight.