Thread: First Boat: Southcentral and Yukon Use

Default First Boat: Southcentral and Yukon Use

Looking for Advice:

I'm looking at buying a 24' Alweld or SeaArk with a 200 outboard. I want to be able to switch between prop and jet. I'll be using it in Southcentral on Deshka, BigSu, etc. Won't be going on open water, river use only. I'll also be using for an annual hunting trip down Yukon to Koyukuk. Will take 2 to 3 people with me on those trips. I would like the canvis cabin to be aft in the boat rather than forward. I grew up on Yukon river, but have not run any rivers here in Southcentral. Some have suggested that I get an inboard jet, but haven't heard a convincing argument why. I'd like to stay within my budget of $35K.

Am I looking at the right boats (Alweld / SeaArk)? If so, which one is better?
    Saw a post about having a boat built in Oregon. Should I consider building in L48 and having shipped up here?
    Any comments on the boat dealers here in AK (Dewey's, The Boat Shop, Marita)?
    Should I be considering an inboard jet? Why?
    Anything else I need to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivalu View Post
    Looking for Advice:

I'm looking at buying a 24' Alweld or SeaArk with a 200 outboard. I want to be able to switch between prop and jet. I'll be using it in Southcentral on Deshka, BigSu, etc. Won't be going on open water, river use only. I'll also be using for an annual hunting trip down Yukon to Koyukuk. Will take 2 to 3 people with me on those trips. I would like the canvis cabin to be aft in the boat rather than forward. I grew up on Yukon river, but have not run any rivers here in Southcentral. Some have suggested that I get an inboard jet, but haven't heard a convincing argument why. I'd like to stay within my budget of $35K.

Am I looking at the right boats (Alweld / SeaArk)? If so, which one is better?
    Saw a post about having a boat built in Oregon. Should I consider building in L48 and having shipped up here?
    Any comments on the boat dealers here in AK (Dewey's, The Boat Shop, Marita)?
    Should I be considering an inboard jet? Why?
    Anything else I need to consider?
    Just saw the post date. What did you end up getting and did you go L48?