Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a tough flyrod for Kenai Reds

Default I need a tough flyrod for Kenai Reds

I am planning on buying my buddy a fly rod for the Kenai for flippin reds. I love my ugly stik but it is a bit heavy. As you know the Kenai and reds can be very hard on rods so i am looking for something TOUGH. Any thoughts?

I'd go with the Temple Fork TiCRX in an 8-weight. Light, but really strong. Priced right, and great guarantee, 4-piece for convenience.

The TiCrX doesn't have a strong enough butt section and is a bit noodly for a flipping rod. They are nice trout rods but I do not like them at all for flipping.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    The TiCrX doesn't have a strong enough butt section and is a bit noodly for a flipping rod. They are nice trout rods but I do not like them at all for flipping.
    Not to mention thay are pretty fragile. Too many of them have had warranty issues. Sure TFO WILL they replace or repair them but there are sturdier rods for Red fishing abuse. Echo would be in the same price range if not a bit less( Echo Ion) They are better built and stronger from what I've seen first hand.

A Rope and Grapple will easily work on reds.....

Telephone poles also work great!!!!

In other words, nothing special.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Lamiglas are good for salmon. Cheap, sturdy, plenty of backbone to pull reds accross the current. I use one in 9wt and have never had a problem dragging reds in.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Lamiglas are good for salmon. Cheap, sturdy, plenty of backbone to pull reds accross the current. I use one in 9wt and have never had a problem dragging reds in.
    +1. I use one in 8 wt. Works great.

The Lamiglas rods are tough and cheap. That's a great combination for Reds.

The cheapie Okuma 9' 8wt from Soldotna Trustworthy has held up well. I think their rods and reels are something like 20% to 30% off right now. I guess $$$ depends on how much you like your buddy.
    Terry

Everyone seems to have there own style of fishing, their own wants and needs. Personally I like my TFO Lefty Signature 7wt. It catches fish and I havent had any problems catching reds or silvers for that matter. It works with the way I like to fish..... Super Sporty!

I would go with something in a saltwater series or step up 1wt heavier than you normally would. 8wt should do the trick and then use it for silvers as well. Echo makes a great rod for around $200 to cover this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    A Rope and Grapple will easily work on reds.....

Telephone poles also work great!!!!

In other words, nothing special.
    Spoken like a trout fisherman...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    I would go with something in a saltwater series or step up 1wt heavier than you normally would. 8wt should do the trick and then use it for silvers as well. Echo makes a great rod for around $200 to cover this.
    Col is right on, if you want a good sturdy rod. The saltwater rods generally have a faster action with a whole lot more backbone. I am sure you will find some lower end rods that have the backbone, but not the sensitivity. Why not go with a higher end rod with both backbone and feel. Then you also have a multi-purpose rod. Why buy a rod strictly for reds?

I use a lamiglass for Reds/Silvers. I love it.

But Echo also makes some amazing stuff for the price. I would vote one or the other.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

I would go with a Rainshadow 9 wt F909. I have fished one for years and it has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    Why buy a rod strictly for reds?
    Almost everybody that I fish with has a dedicated flipping rod. The cheaper rods are great for this as you don't need tight loops to flip a heavily weighted fly (or hook).

I have an Echo Ion 9wt that I really like. Think it was around $180. Lamiglas is good, but I couldn't find a 4-piece in the$200-$250 range. I have a WW Grigg 9'6" 10 wt that casts real nice and I like it for reds when the combat fishing is on and you want to land the fish in a hurry. I don't like the Okumas. I've seen too many of those break. G Loomis Xperience is nice, but may be a bit too expensive.

If you don't need 4-piece get the Lamiglas, if you do, get the Echo or G Loomis.

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    I don't like the Okumas. I've seen too many of those break.
    You can ask Cube about that....
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    You can ask Cube about that....
    My Okuma Magnitude reel has broken twice. However, this thread is about rods... Muzzy, please keep your posts relevant.

Ive been fishing my Sage XI2 and it is an awesome salmon rod! I have fished several others and they just dont have the backbone or durability this rod has.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast