Thread: Treble hooks for stocked lakes in valley?

Default Treble hooks for stocked lakes in valley?

Are treble hooks legal for stocked lakes in the valley? Thinking about going out to KB area for some C&R and was wondering. I tried checking the regs on ADFG.com but couldn't really get a definite answer. I would email them but I don't think they'll be open for Labor Day. Thanks

One suggestion is, if you plan on doing some C&R get rid of the treble hook. You have a much easier time releasing the fish and it won't be as hard on them as a treble hook.

I agree with cmo Get some siwash hooks they have an open eye. Just cut the treble off and replace. Very easy and fast. I mostly fly fish but will do spinners some times on the lakes. I just change them all over at once and forget about it till you buy more. FYI I think you can fish with the treble hooks in stocked lakes its just better for the fish and I think a single hook just works better all around.

long lake is the only lake in K/B with a single hook only rule. Its single hook no bait C&R only. If you plan on releasing fish please use single barbless hooks
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

my understanding is that treble hooks were created by lure manufacturers to sell more lures.

They will snag up on anything and are very difficult to unsnag. I remove them from lures immediately and replace with a single.

go with single siwashes, as mentioned. You can also use your pliers' wirecutter to snap off two of the hooks on a treble and that works just fine, but the lone hook remaining doesn't present quite as well as an actual single.

For me it's almost always single hooks and pinched barbs.

Again, the treble hook benefits the lure manufacturer and nobody else.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    my understanding is that treble hooks were created by lure manufacturers to sell more lures.

They will snag up on anything and are very difficult to unsnag. I remove them from lures immediately and replace with a single.

go with single siwashes, as mentioned. You can also use your pliers' wirecutter to snap off two of the hooks on a treble and that works just fine, but the lone hook remaining doesn't present quite as well as an actual single.

For me it's almost always single hooks and pinched barbs.

Again, the treble hook benefits the lure manufacturer and nobody else.
    I dunno ...I've made sure that Gamakatsu has benefited from lure manufacturers sticking those silly treble hooks on their lures too!

Brian