Thread: Interested in a waterfowl guide

Default Interested in a waterfowl guide

My partner and I have a couple of 4 year olds that desparately want to go duck hunting with us. The problem is that all of our spots involve a lot of hard walking through marsh which will never happen with them at this point.

This will be their first hunting trips ever, so I want this to be a really good experience. I'm thinking that the best way to make that happen would be to get hooked up with a guide who could make the transport in and out easy via something like a boat. I'm just interested in an afternoon or morning due to short attention spans.

Obviously, this whole thing will be based on getting the kids a good experience. Let 'em blow on some calls, ride around in a boat, bring their favorite snacks, elaborate face paint, that kind of stuff. We may have to leave early, but whatever. If the guide has a dog that is friendly - bonus points. Hopefully we even get to shoot at a few ducks.

I did some searching and can find only one website of a guide near Anchorage, and that is in Kenai - Big Reid Guide Service. I will send them an email, but if anyone has any other recommendations or general input, I would appreciate it.

Big Adam Reid is also on here as "yukon" I believe. He mainly hunts out on the hay flats off the knik side. right now he is probably guiding trout fishermen on the Kenai.

The ADFG has a listing of waterfowl guides on their website somewhere. Most are big game guides that also take clients out for birds if they want to. However, there are a few actual duck guides on there, but most are not hunting around Anchorage.

Kodiak outdoor adventures guides clients for sea ducks in Kodiak not sure where or how far you want to take it.

You could always check with Tim Bouchard and see what he can do for you. I know he mostly caters to multi day trips, but you might be able to work something out. He does boat trips out of Valdez for sea ducks, but I believe he also does some puddle duck hunts on the Hay Flats and near Valdez. Alaska Wildfowl Adventures is his company. He goes by tbduck on here.