Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be Aware-Koyokuk

Default Be Aware-Koyokuk

I have 2 boat load of friends hunting up there now. Yesterday while traveling separately above the 3 day slough one boat was was flagged down by some locals. When he stopped to see if they had a problem the locals demanded he pull his boat to the beach. He said he was meeting his hunting buddies and took off. When the other partner came up river he didn't see the locals until they pulled right up to his gunnel like they were gonna to try and board his boat at 25 mph. He pulled away and took off. Don't know what is going on with that aggressive action. But with a lot of hunters traveling with guns and beer things could get out of hand. They contacted me by sat phone and I have been trying to get hold of the troopers but Fairbanks said nobody is available until Mon morning. If you are headed that way you might have to keep an eye on your camp. I have been hunting up there since. 1991 and have not had any probs yet. But I haven't run in to that kind of welcome yet.

Hmmmmmmmmm......How do ya know they were "Locals" and not some boat in idjits?
    Did your friend talk with 'em? Did "Pull his boat to the beach" mean he had engine trouble and was drifting?

Acting agressive is no way to get help, for sure....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

That's why you carry a rifle with ya at all times in that part of the world. No telling who needs to mind their own business, the two legged kind or the 4 legged kind.

And I'm sure they weren't locals.... I mean 3 day slough has been a tourist trap for years...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Ain't the first time, certainly won't be the last time. Go prepared for the unexpected.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

LOL Pike..

A guy I used to work with had his beer stolen at gunpoint up the Koyukuk. That was the late 90's, but I imagine they're still at it.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I'd recommend putting the video camera on them and recording their actions, statements etc. And of course keep the rifles loaded, handy
    and in full view. Don't give in and don't back down.

what losers, probably came from their "Village".

Quote Originally Posted by justanaveragewhiteboy. View Post
    what losers, probably came from their "Village".
    Losers come from all kinds of "villages"; even ones with populations of hundreds of thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Persistent1 View Post
    I'd recommend putting the video camera on them and recording their actions, statements etc. And of course keep the rifles loaded, handy
    Best advice on this thread, right there!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Losers come from all kinds of "villages"; even ones with populations of hundreds of thousands.
    Couldn't agree more and I live in one of those 100K villages. Losers come from all places folks. Not just remote villags in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Very true, but somehow I doubt they came from very far away... just a gut feeling.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Lotta Losers on the internet too....seems to be a World wide "Thang"

Regardless, always carry conceled.

"Have Gun , will travle" seems like the slogan of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Persistent1 View Post
    That might be the best way to catch them in, but any confrontation could turn ugly just as easily and usually more quickly... the best action in this case is probably the same as in bear country: "carry ready, but try to avoid entirely." Report their actions, a discription of their outfit and wait for the troopers or fish and game to clear them out or launch around them, but don't give them the opportunity to target you... even if you can defend yourself. Often the most responsible thing to do is keep the situation from escalating.
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

...and if you hear dueling banjos, head back down river right away!!!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by gvsujustin View Post
    That might be the best way to catch them in, but any confrontation could turn ugly just as easily and usually more quickly... the best action in this case is probably the same as in bear country: "carry ready, but try to avoid entirely." Report their actions, a discription of their outfit and wait for the troopers or fish and game to clear them out or launch around them, but don't give them the opportunity to target you... even if you can defend yourself. Often the most responsible thing to do is keep the situation from escalating.
    i does not think there are many troopers up the koyokuk.... just looking at a map thats along ways to go and I doubt there are many stations up there, if any.... So you can be green and wait for officer outatlunch and I'll handle things my way.

not sure why stranger is so upset.

RELAX everyone. Been there, worked there and lived there for 6 months (best part was the hunting season). Like anyplace they ddidn't like the hoard of hunters coming up, however never to the extent of doing anything drastic. I'm sure, like anyplace, there are a few bad apples...but that goes with everywhere. When I was there, it was one of the nicest villages I'd had beenin and the community was very friendly!

Relax, be kind, and I'm sure you'll get it in return. One thing thoug: NEVER leave gas unattended in your boat. That WILL grow legs. (but that goes for anyone, not just visitors. Gas is open season for anyone down there).

Troopers are located in Galena, and don't think for one second they aren't out and about during hunting season.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by justanaveragewhiteboy. View Post
    i does not think there are many troopers up the koyokuk.... just looking at a map thats along ways to go and I doubt there are many stations up there, if any.... So you can be green and wait for officer outatlunch and I'll handle things my way.

not sure why stranger is so upset.
    I can't speak for Stranger, but frankly, I would have to say your original statement was asinine. Your subsequent statement seems equally uneducated and reckless, and your presence in this thread seems intent on only being inflamatory. Just my observation.

"Your subsequent statement seems equally uneducated and reckless, and your presence in this thread seems intent on only being inflamatory"

Do you think? Considering the grammar, the screen name, number of posts, and join date, it looks like that is exactly what he's here for.

Stranger has the voices in his head with some no **** observations

Stranger hasnt an inkling of anger about 'em, he's just a positive skeptic........Stranger figures if YOUR not from the area, its very possible "They" are not from there as well.

Stranger says to himself all the time when meeting friends and Strangers "How will I kill this person, if nessessarry?"

Stranger looks at maps too, and sees that with a boat, he too could steal yer gas, and go back to Fairbanks or where ever.
    Stranger looks at all the posts about Moose hunting on the Koyukuk and knows that asswipes are mix in with 99% way Cool Hunters, from all over converge on hunting season, of all colors, races, boats and planes.
    Stranger says, "When a you are a Stranger in a Strange Land, Protect yerslef, First, then call cops.....if theres witness's........""

Stranger knows Men are more dangerous than any wild animal.

Stranger knows this **** happens all around the world...........

Got Shovel?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast