Thread: good inboard for river/bay only?

Default good inboard for river/bay only?

Got the ok from the bank for a new boat, was looking for an inboard to use to zip across the bay, 10 miles or so to my favorite river and moose hunting spot. Bay is normally 2-3 foot swells. River can get to a half foot shallow in some places.

Looking at a Weldcraft Sabre 21' and upping the power a little. The other option for me is a Jetcraft 2075. I have no experience with the UHMW bottom and do not know how well they hold up. River is mostly sand and loose gravel with no boulders.

North river has been suggested to me but the options seem to be the same, the only difference being a increase in price. Would like a hard top with heater for the lady's sake, (and mine as well ) and enough oomph to get up on plane easily with at least half a moose and a couple guys. Am I looking in the right direction?

you are pushing it here. a big enough boat to get across like you want to isnt always going to make 6 inches of water. and that boat isnt easy to push off the bottom where you will get stuck sooner or later, mostly sooner.

looks like you need to go to s smaller flatbottom like a wooldridge and cross on good days only.

Thanks for the heads up, guess I was looking in the wrong direction. I looked up their site and it seems a sport in either 17 or 20' would suit me well. I think a 17' sport with a 150 jet would be a nice combo, small enough to make it up the smaller creeks and enough room for a couple guys and stuff in the back. A 20' with a 150 jet seems like it would be underpowered. I will have to give them a call tomorrow.

Sorry I mixed up the two, I meant a 20' sport with a 150 jet sounds like it would be nice. Add in extra 40 gallon tanks and it should work well, no? I would hope it would do at least 30kts with the jet for the Fall when daylight is slim. Is that expecting too much from a 20' with a 150 jet?

Are you looking to buy new or used. I have the 1975 Jetcraft. They call it the Fastwater now. Mine has the 240 SJ, but the new ones have a 200 Optimax SJ. A 2 stroke inboard. I love mine so far... No hard top, but I use a little black cat coleman propane heater---keeps the chill off..

http://www.jetcraftboats.com/our_boa...fastwater.html

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan9974 View Post
    Got the ok from the bank for a new boat, was looking for an inboard to use to zip across the bay, 10 miles or so to my favorite river and moose hunting spot. Bay is normally 2-3 foot swells. River can get to a half foot shallow in some places.

Looking at a Weldcraft Sabre 21' and upping the power a little. The other option for me is a Jetcraft 2075. I have no experience with the UHMW bottom and do not know how well they hold up. River is mostly sand and loose gravel with no boulders.

North river has been suggested to me but the options seem to be the same, the only difference being a increase in price. Would like a hard top with heater for the lady's sake, (and mine as well ) and enough oomph to get up on plane easily with at least half a moose and a couple guys. Am I looking in the right direction?
    A decent soft top will keep you plenty warm. As far as running in the 6 inches of water is no big deal......you just can't stop with a heavy inboard.

Default This boat is perfect and for sale!

This boat is perfect and for sale! Of course, I am a bit biased!

2007 20 ft Wooldridge Sport

With the Jet pump and the prop lower units, this boat will do just about anything you want. I take it to Montague Island (from Whittier) and back on about 45 gallons of fuel. With the prop on this boat cruises 30 mph burning about 7 (4.3 MPG) gallons per hour. With the Jet pump and tunnel hull I run this boat up the Talkeetna in the spring when the water is very skinny! It would cost more than 50K to buy a new boat outfitted like this one. Shrink wrapped every winter.

Perfectly maintained 225 Mercury Optimax 250 hours - warranty good through May 2012 -2006 9.9 Mercury ProKicker availa (elect start,tilt, trim) Jet Pump and prop lower units
    three water pumps - one on the jet - one on the prop and a new one in the box
    Bay kit (long shaft extension kit)
    Hydrofoil
    2 new fuel filters still in the box
    2 air ride seats
    48 inch bench seats that fold into (queen size) bed
    ICOM VHF with a new heavy duty/high power antenae
    Sliding storage drawer built into transom
    Multiple rod holders
    Custom made radar arch with rocket launchers and flood light
    600 ft anchor rope and chain and buoy retrieval system
    garmin 178C with alaska chip
    canopy reinforced with strong arms to eliminate sagging
    Duel axle trailer with surge break

Good luck on your search for the perfect boat! Pete

Have you done the research on the web? Do some research on this site as well, lots of great information here.

Wollydriver2 has himself an awfully nice setup. I also own a 20' Sport, but with a 175 Optimax and swap back and forth between prop and jet as needed. Probably wouldn't put anything smaller than that if I was to always run a jet. When hauling larger loads, it's never fun to be underpowered.

Do you see yourself running a jet most of the time?

Was in the same situation as you and did a ton of research for over a year. We settled on a Custom Weld 21' inboard (kinda like a weldcraft sabre). It has been awsome on the rivers,lakes and river mouth/bay in southwest Alaska. Has enough power, didnt burn as much gas as I thought it would. It will run in very shallow water........That being said! Its a really heavy boat. Good luck!

I talked with wooldridge yesterday and they steered me in the direction of the Alaskan XL, they said it can haul heavy loads and with the flat bottom not require a ton of power to do so. I will discuss it with the lady and see where that goes. Thanks for your input guys. Was recommended to try the optimax engine as well so that may very well end up on the back of it.

Nice! My buddy owns an XL and it's a beauty. Definitely the way to go if you're going brand-new. Good Luck!

I love my Weldcraft Sabre XL 20'. I have ran out to Pony Cove in Seward with 8' swells and 3' chop, no problem. Of course you cant run WOT but i can still do 20-22 mph with out beating up the passengers. My boat has a 14 degree dead rise so she take the ocean pretty well. Now for river running. I pull about 8" on step with 5 or 6 adults and fishing gear. It takes a little effort to get her on step but if i have 50-75 yard of straight water its not a problem. With 3 adults and gear i can be on step in 25 yards. I run the Talkeetna and Big SU all summer with it. If you want a lot more info on my Weldcraft PM me.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

so your boat will put him stranded up in the river when he hits 6 inches of water.