Thread: Valdez Report

Default Valdez Report

Thought I would beat the crowd by going down to Valdez thursday afternoon. Arrived at Sea Otter park around 730 pm. To my delite the weather was perfect! Sunny and calm waters and the Silvers where jumping everywhere. I managed 3 nice ones before dark caught on a Mepps Flying C. I was thinking that it was going to be awsome at Allison Point in the morning......................................Wrong ! I fished most of the incomming tide and ony saw a few caught. The weather must have been too nice! It was sunny and the water was flat calm. The most excitement was the bear patrolling the beach behind us and of course I did not have the camera. So back at Sea Otter Park same story nothing everyone catching but me. Ever had one of those days. Went and got some lunch and then back to Allison Point for the next tide. I managed 3 with a #4 Red and Silver Vibrex before the afternoon wind picked up and started churning the water then it all stopped. I decided to check out the boat harbor. I saw that people snagging where doing well and after casting all day I said what the heck! Tied on my only snagging hook and let it fly! 2 fish in 10 minutes before I broke it off so a total of 5 for this day. I decided this was the most effect way to get my limit in the morning. Everyone in town was sold out of snaging hooks so I designed my own for the morning tide. I used some hollow core led and treble a hook off my Pixie lures. Saturday morning normal Valdez weather rain and fog. Managed a limit in under 2 hours and headed back to North Pole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did basically the same thing this past weekend, was a good time. Question I have is when and where it is legal to "Snag," What defines a legal snag rig? Only thing I saw in the regulations talks about a 2 hook limit when sportfishing. To me this means a limit of 2 treble hooks on a single snag rig no matter how you really configure it? I saw people with those weighted trebles and 1 other treble on a line snagging, legal?

Snagging is legal in saltwater. Look in the regs under the section about fishing saltwater in PWS.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Buddy and me stopped overnight in Valdez (boat trip from Whittier-Gravina-Whittier over the weekend) Saturday for fuel and to hole up. What a zoo! Never seen so many people fishing/snagging in such a small area. Saw lots of turned silvers being caught and they were jumping everywhere, even up onto the dock. Some people were getting chrome silvers. We decided we didn't want to fight the crowds, so Sunday morning we left the harbor and trolled for a couple of hours as we headed west. Nothing. Was worth the stop in Valdez just for the experience!

Yes it was a zoo. People in everything from rafts to paddle boats. No one knows the navigation rules, right-of-ways, and anchoring rules. People anchor right in the harbor entrance and between the access to the docks. One guy had a 30' boat set up in the channel and everyone had to go around him on Friday evening.

But people were still catching the red bellied silvers and keeping them. The trooper ticked a bunch of people for illegal gear in the fly fishing only area of Robe River too as indicated on the blogs. Glad the zoo is over for the most part.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I believe they will allow the commercial harvest of these fish beginning today? If that is the case, is it still worth a trip over there within the next day or two for shore fishermen??
    thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Seiners were out at 12:00:01 last night to clean them up. Still some in the harbor though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We killed 11 silvers on sunday afternoon and monday morning. They were all in the harbor. We had two that were blushed - I am canning 1/2 and smoking half - meat looked fine.

The sidewalks should be rolled up by now I figure. The locals were abuzz at getting their town back for the winter.

Hammered valdez hard from shore over Labor Day weekend from saturday to monday morning hoping to catch a 20 pounder and win 15,000 dollars.... Well obviously that didn't happen but I still had a blast. Fished on saturday afternoon snagging from the bank side of the docks, managed to catch and land aprox 7-8 fish, keeping 3 that seemed to be the brightest.

I didn't want to continue snag/releasing and had no intention of harvesting more fish so I left to the docks with a point wilson dart. On my FIRST drop down I jigged off the bottom and instantly hooked into a silver. Thanks to the help of some friendly guys fishing on the next boat walkway down from me the fish was netted, upon realizing the huge size of the silver compared to others I had seen being snagged I literally RAN to the weigh station for the derby. The lady working at the office instantly commented I think you're in first place for the day, but upon being placed upon the scale the fish came out at 13.9 lbs, a bummer but a great fish nonetheless!!

I had this fish filleted in addition to my 3 others for only a buck a piece, unfortunately noting that the flesh was VERY light pink on 3 of my fish. Do not be decieved by the silver color of some of these fish, coho showing ANY pink within the harbor are probably losing more and more texture and flavor daily. With that said there were PLENTY more fish to be had.

I lost my only jig on my 3rd fish off the dock around on the pilings, proceeding to go the fish central or whatever the tackle shop near the harbor is. I found some jigs similar to point wilsons (but much larger) and bought 2, then proceeding back to the docks. Landed probably 8-10 fish before losing both of my jigs due to no net and pilings... Needless to say the fish central loved me that weekend as I bought probably 6-8 of their 5 dollar jigs, landing a total of atleast 40+ fish Sat evening-Monday at 9am. Almost everyone around me was having to put in LONG hours to catch a fish or two, but I had periods where I was hooking into a fish almost every cast.

After Sunday evening/monday morning the fishing became MUCH slower... coho no longer would bite my jigs and I only had a few incidental snags with the jig apposed to MANY more the day before, even with tons and tons of jumpers around me. I personally witnessed 2 dead fish just laying on the docks, appearing to have jumped over the rails the night before... pretty funny site and a great indicator at the number of fish milling and hopping about.

The run is definately winding down with many fish showing color now, but there are still limits of bright fish to be had if you put your hours in, if you snag from the shore fishing should be amazing, quality might not be. This was my first visit to Valdez, I hated the agonizingly long drive but the scenery was great and the fishing even better... I will be back next year for an entire week earlier in the season (with a boat), don't be suprised when I take first place in that derby next year!
    Last edited by Fishwhacker; 09-07-2010 at 19:39. Reason: wall of text

Thanks for the report fishwhacker. Really enjoyed the read.
    I was gonna head down this evening but my client switched our meeting to tomorrow evening instead which menat I had to stay in Anchorage so I really enjoyed reading your post. I imagined the whole thing! Sounds fun.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I ran into AlcanRon on Alison point and shared some stories...nice guy! My son and I had no luck on the point but cleaned up in the harbor area. The silvers were in thick! So were the blackbears, saw a sow with 3 cubs, and 2 other solitary bears, one a big old boar...all at the hatchery area on Saturday night. Our truck lights also scared off the sow and cubs who were about to walk right onto 3 fishermen on the rocks....all were oblivious to each others presence. I think we stopped a very interesting meeting. Anyway..Cya next year Valdez...thanks for the bounty.