Thread: New to AK Fowls

Default New to AK Fowls

I have been in AK for awhile now. I have never hunted ducks but am looking to get to harvests some this year. I have no knowledge of duck hunting and am not above saying it. I am looking for someone who is willing to show me the ropes. I know I am probably asking a lot but I am looking for someone in the Anchorage or Mat-Su area. If you have some knowledge you are willing to share I will do my best sponge imitation to keep up.

Try cottonwood creek off of Hayfield Road in Wasilla. You'll see some folks out there but it's not crowded at all. We went Sunday morning and there was 4 groups out there all morning. Just park and you'll see a trail towards the right corner of the parking lot against the treeline (hard to see in the dark if you don't know its there). Once you go over the walking bridge you can go left or right on the trail. We followed the right trail about a mile and a half to a nice water opening. After 4 hours we walked out with 1 duck. Meanwhile some guys that went left after the bridge were shooting up a storm. We met them in the parking lot later and they said there were ducks everywhere. So I would suggest going left after the bridge. The trail is partly maintained and reinforced with steel grates but those areas that aren't maintained are rutted, filled with water, and muddy as can be. We walked a mile and a half in about 20 minutes so it's not bad, just watch your step. Some of those holes will catch you by surprise. You'll be kneeling in some pretty smelly water and your gears gonna get soaked so think ahead. Have some good neoprene chest waders and camo yourself head to toe. Don't torget your duck call. Good luck.

In my humble opinion (and that is all it is) there is a big difference between someone who hunts waterfowl and a waterfowl hunter. If you want to work at being the later (we're all still learning and that is the key) then the following is what I think you need to work on. 1) Read as much as you can about the sport-there is a ton of material out there on dogs, guns, camo, decoys, waterfowl habits, DU is a good starting point and a great organization 2) For me the #1 thing that will lead to a successful hunt is being hidden and staying that way-I can't tell you how many folks I've seen in the field who don't get that part of duck hunting. They walk around or sit in a blind with a bare face looking up in the sky wondering why the birds aren't coming within range. I read an article about an F&G aerial survey during the hunting season somewhere in the lower 48 and the spotter said that many of the waterfowl hunters could be seen a mile away when they looked up and their faces were like a flashing light. Get hidden, don't look up and stay still until the birds are within range. 3) Find and train a good dog-for me this is the most enjoyable part of the hunt and although you will occasionally lose a bird, it won't happen very often. 4) Get out there and find out where and when it is the best time to hunt. 5) Don't expect to just find someone to teach you everything. Most of learned the hard way-trial and error. I can't count the number of times I've tried something and said "Well that sure didn't work guess I've have to try plan B." That is the way we learn. But when you finally get things dialed in there is no better feeling then knowing that you figured it out. Good luck.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Ill be moving to Eagle River around the 13th of October. I work in Afghanistan, but have hunted ducks all my life on the Texas Coast. My email is JAD344@HOTMAIL.COM. email me and if you have a place to go, Ill try and help. Just let me know what I need to bring....