Thread: any reports out of kotzebue

Default any reports out of kotzebue

heading up that way in Sept, just wondering how its been up that way for caribou

Cabellas Army has Kotzebue under occupation

The lead Cows Passed through Kobuk River Vally, these last couplea weeks, enough to make Trails to hunt, and theres Bulls showing up in the boats people have filled upriver, enough here in Noorvik, you cant even give meat away
    Ive been hunting Caribou enough that Ive stopped'till I get it dryed and put away, if the rain stops.........despite reports otherwize ~~LOL!!!!!!!!!!!~~~

I donno, maby some 'Biologist' or 'Transporters' are out "Searching for the Herd" ........NOT!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I will be part of Cabelas army on Thursday but only for 2 hours or so. Hoping the trails are filling up with bou... I see on weather that it is raining 24/7... a balmy wet week ahead if that doesnt stop soon!

When you go to Kotz to hunt (assuming you don't live in the area) you need to bring street clothes. Don't wear your camo while in town. That way you hopefully won't be identified as part of the army.
    FYI..........guys and gals in camo (and their associated MONEY) are welcome in Bettles.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

They are most welcome in Kotzebue as well. You dont need street clothes, unless you are embarrassed or something. People respect Hunters, no matter where they come from, and we all know theres plenty to go around.
    If you do wear street clothes, then nobody will sell you carvings, crafts and such ~~~LOL!!~~~ The waitress will serve yo last, over those rich tippin' Cabellas guys....

Actually, Ive been on the reciving end here in Noorvik, with a fat Bull left on my steps sometime this morning.
    Bulls are crossing the Upper Kobuk now, (look up a map and see the West to East lat.) in quantity. I havent met any one here who dosent have meat'cept those who have outfitted a freezer or two and are heading back up for more...........

Good luck.

So I wont wear my 3 piece suit, nor my work uniform, jeans and denim shirt I guess! Seriously, I am excited to be leaving the Vegas heat and get out to the field regardless of weather! Caribou are a huge plus for the overall experience with my friends but wont make my trip a waste if they dont show! Still got a fishing license and pole, a few other tags and a shotgun!

Oh ya, like yer clothes, a Gun for every occasion is a MUST!!

You'll have fun, and passing through Kotz hasnt kill't any one yet.~~LOL!!~~

Good Luck!

I work for Alaska and can fly to Kotz, but how much and how do you get to Noorvik were the good hunting is at?

Quote Originally Posted by ganleyhonda View Post
    I work for Alaska and can fly to Kotz, but how much and how do you get to Noorvik were the good hunting is at?
    Once you get to Kotz, Ganley, mosey over to the Bering Air counter and use your pass agreement benefits to fly free to Noorvik. When you get to Noorvik, tell the village agent your there to see Chip. After that, it's all up to the caribou!! Haha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The Bering air agent is next door.

Then its to the boat and up river we go,about an hours drive to the mountains where the Caribou are, so bring gas and time with ya.....and a Thrust washer ( The funky big washer between the 'underwater' and the prop) for a Honda 15 outboard, mine has disentagrated and the props advancing ito the housing, and Im landbound till the replacement comes in the mail......they are about 30$.

Ill be ready in 5 mintues.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    The Bering air agent is next door.

Then its to the boat and up river we go,about an hours drive to the mountains where the Caribou are, so bring gas and time with ya.....and a Thrust washer ( The funky big washer between the 'underwater' and the prop) for a Honda 15 outboard, mine has disentagrated and the props advancing ito the housing, and Im landbound till the replacement comes in the mail......they are about 30$.

Ill be ready in 5 mintues.
    Well if that ain't a deal then I'm not sure what one is!
    Last edited by Zinker; 09-07-2010 at 00:02. Reason: spelling

Welllllllll, The best "Deal" would be to skip Noorvik and fly up to Ambler/Shungnak/Kobuk and simply tell folks your interested in Caribou hunting and go buy gas.
    They will come to you.
    ............. but its 10$-12$ a gallon there.

Caribou are Right There, no hours of travling need, unless it warms up again.

Hunting with folks like that will help them as they help you, and getting alotta gas is a sure fire way to do that.

Just got back from kiana for 6 days of moose and boo hunting. The caribou are starting to cross the kobuk in small #'s . We harvested a few around hunt river about 30-40 miles up the kobuk from kiana. Took a nice 13 brow tine moose @ 58" spread also. Had to take out a second mortgage on the house to get the meat and rack home though...

Good luck......

strangerinastrangeland I appreciate the offer, and if you let me I will purchase the washer you need and send it in the mail. Im not sure if I can now this year yet, but if you can help me with some information on timing and things for a definite hunt next year I would greatly apprecaite it.
    I fly for Alaska and am on leave now so I dont have my flight benifets for other airlines untill March.
    I have never got a bou and have been born and raised in Alaska, it would be a chance to hunt something that I love to eat. Tired of begging or tradeing moose and fish for bou meat lol.
    Again just information I dont expect you to do anything for me in general, if you do have a open spot next year and I can purchase your gas then maybe we can work something out but, would just like some general information this time and would be more then happy to by you a washer for your boat just send me your mailing info, or PM me tried sending you a PM but your space is full. I have a few people that I chat with I work at the Alaska Native Hospital and now their is some great hunting around their.

Thank you again for your time
    Ganley

DrDaves, sounds like your were Hunting Qallugrok area, where my Fartherinlaw lived the first 13 years of his life, at the turn of the Century. Any pictures I post with us shooting Caribou from the boat are 3 outta 4 from that area where the river cuts the mountains. One of the worlds premier Caribou Hunting area. You must have 'inside' friends or you stayed at Scherks lodge.

Theres nothing to it, Ganlyhonda (Are you a dealership?) I have a washer inbound, just thought you might show up today~~LOL!!~~
    I never have an "open spot', Im not a Guide, I'm a Hunter and nobody pays me nothin'. I have hunted with alotta forums guys, though, and I like hunting anyway~~LOL!!~~.
    I dont know whats gonna happen tomarrow, least a year from now, but the invite is the firststep,then show up mid/late Sept in '11.
    You will need 'Time", theres lotsa variables.

PM me and we can get a better idea about getting this done, I like to hunt with others.

We'll go on a Subsitance hunt thats been on for 10,000 years according to archeologists. The methods have changed from poking swimmers from a Kayak, to the 1890' when .22's became available and the bullet supply stedy, they started popping them in the head from a Kayak to useing an out board onthe boat starting 90 years back in the early 20's,and its still done that way today, with the same results.
    Yaaaaaa, real 'unsportsman' like, but its the absolute best way to make meat while its prime and right there to put in the boat, and get a guy through the 3 months of Arctic darkness and the thin ice, till its good to travle, see, and hunt again.

The PM box is flushed,Granlyhonda, drop me a line anytime, and well figure you a place in the boat next fall...... and DrDave8, PLEASE post a story,eh? Sounds like you were havin' fun.

(How are we 'spossed to know when the box is full?? no more "PM Meter"....)