Thread: A place to fish in MatSu/Anchorage

Default A place to fish in MatSu/Anchorage

We will be in the MatSu area starting 21 Sept. I know it is late in the year for salmon. I need a place where my wife can get to easily to catch a fish of some kind. She is not very mobile so it needs to be easy access. Several years ago we went to a lake on the Kenai where she got 4-6" rainbows every cast. I don't expect that. In July I was up NE of Fairbanks on private property & you couldn't get away from the Grayling. I don't expect that ether. One fish in 2-3 hours would be great. For the cost of non-res licenses I only expect to fish for one day & without a way to cook them I don't expect to keep any. Also low tech gear. I usually go to wallymart, buy a low cost rod & reel, then try to find a kid to give it to before we leave.
    So no banks, rocks or problems like that. I can buy a chair if needed.
    Thanks for your help.

Cary

Check this website out for stocking information http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/Hatchery/

I would say this is your best bet with the mobility issues. Salmon will, for the most part, be done by that time and you have to be a little mobile to get into the trout and grayling on the area streams. Hope that helps a little.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default Thanks for the information

That was a great link. I should be able to find a place to fish that has been stocked that will still have some fish left.
    Thanks again.

You're more than welcome and have a great trip! Hopefully the fish will be biting! If you do want to get into some salmon, concider traveling to the Kenai River in Soldotna. There will be silvers down there and there is a lot of space to fish on the board walks in town at the visitors center that are easily accessed. Stop and get some cured roe and drift it under a float.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"