Thread: First Boat - Kodiak - What to get?

Default First Boat - Kodiak - What to get?

Probaly gonna get 15 posts with 20 different answers. Just looking for advice. I want to get my first boat for use around Kodiak. The situation - me and my 8 year-old (strong lad, good swimmer and good on boats) will be primary users for fishing (halibut, cod, probably NOT trolling just yet). I also have wife and 2 other kids (5 and 4) who would like to be able to get out to some of the closer in islands for the odd day/camp-out.
    I know wife wants an ocean going liner!!! But I do not see the need and the expense vs use is not justified. We will only be fair weather sailors - even in a big boat I would not take the kids out in a heavy chop.
    A few people have said a 14/15' Zodiak will fit our needs, thoughts? Also looking at various alluminum boats.
    Also Because likely just me and my 8-year-old a lot of the time and boat being trailored to a slip, also figure that a Zodiak would be lighter/easier to handle.
    As for budget - low!!! It is really my toy and not a family thing and seeing good Zodiak types for $$3000 and up is appealing.

Thoughts?

My first boat in Kodiak was a 12' Zodiac, a very excellent sea boat for those waters and I cruised that thing throughout the Archipelago and extensively in the Aleutians as a fun rig with great satisfaction in seaworthiness, fuel effficiency, I could go on and on. Easy to go to shore with, as two can carry or drag (especially with those transom wheels, which I regretted not having) up above the tide line to go exploring on land, etc.
    Also you don't need a Monster outboard to get them on step with style, I had a 35hp on mine which was Way Overpowered.... which I did so we could go Waterskiing behind it, and we did with success (had to start on two skiis and drop one as we couldn't pull a slalom out of the water but....) anyway you could use a 25, or 20hp which means a lot of money for budget as well

Potential major drawback is the durability of the hull (mine was not ridgid hull but fabric) as the barnacle covered rocks in that area are Vicious on material. The pontoons held up fine but I was constantly reinforcing the bottom back by the transom. Makes an aluminum hull skiff or ridgid hull inflatable a Very Important consideration.

But for safe boating, even with your family along (need a larger one as you are thinking 15' maybe) they cannot be topped in my experience. You do need to consider the possibility of "getting caught" by heavy chop now and then, even if you plan for fair weather boating as tide rips, quick weather changes are a big part of Reality in the Kodiak area.

Thumbs up to the well built Inflatable for your use.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I am not sure where my text went?? Anyway, I had an inflatable here and loved it. I wanted something a little bigger so I made this one. It was a family project start to finish and have been very happy with both building it and how it performs. I use it on sunny day cruises with the family or go a little further out with friends on more serious fishing trips. It cost around a grand to build. If you are not into that sort of thing I would go with an inflatable if you are mostly day cruising or aluminum if you plan on fishing alot.

Yep, been caught in the tide rip/chop on far side of Long Island in my buddy's on many occassions. Flat calm everywhere except for that area!
    Nice to here the Zodiak maybe a good option. Have used in the past in military and always seemed darned stable and heavy duty.

I used a 10 foot zodiac for years around Kodiak. You can launch off of Pasagshak beach, VFW beach or Mayflower. I finally upgraded, okay for wife and 1 child, not two. I agree with the previous comment, watch the barnacles and blue mussels coming up to the beach, not healthy for an inflatable. Excellant for you and your boy, recommend a plywood or aluminum flooring in case you drop a hook or other sharp object.

Get the boat you can most afford to own and operate. Use it as often as you can. When you feel like you've outgrown that one, move on to the next step. If you never move on, that's OK too. You'll find your own level of participation and activity as you go. Your 8 yr. old will never forget his experiences the rest of his life, no matter what you get.

Crestliner Sportsman or Lund SSV either 16' or 18' are great Alaskan beginner get out on the water and easy to beach boats. They go through the slop and are powered with 35-50HP ouboards. Good on gas to. I grew up with the Lund and today have a cruiser but I have friends who each have new Crestliers or Lunds. I know you can find used ones in your price range.

Sobie2

Below is from www.alaskaslist.com its not mine but its in your price range.

18' Lund w/50hp Mercury & Trailer (Soldotna)
    Reply to: Use Contact Form belowPrice: $3,500Telephone: 907-262-147118' Lund, 50 Merc 3 cylinder 2 stroke with power trim and tilt, Karavan galvanized bunk trailer, Fish-On seats, and Lund boat cover. Call 907-262-1471