Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I met a nice guy on a trail, that talked to much.

Default I met a nice guy on a trail, that talked to much.

I was coming back from trying to cross a swamp that I decided was too wet and met a guy on the main trail, that was headed into his hunting spot and I pulled over to let him pass. He stops to talked, he tells me where he is hunting (miles from trail head), method of hunting, the 47 inch bull he called in two days ago, the 57 inch bull he shot last year and all the moose a friend with a plane sees when he fly’s over.

After he tells me everything, I could not stand it and said, “Why are you telling me all this? You have no idea who I am. I could be some guy who tells everything on a hunting forum or at work and you going to find your area over run with hunters. Nice guy “I thought you were a local” RM “Why would tell a local? We went back and forth several times; I do not believe I got my message across to him. I hope I did because if not he can kiss his area, good buy.

I have seen this several times in the passed, most people do not give as much details. My question to all of you; Why, do you tell co-workers, and strangers where you hunt?

Something similar happened on our 40 mile hunt, however the other hunter knew what he was doing. He told us where he was hunting, but he was also honest about the game prospects. He offered us some alternative advice and a spot that may offer up some game. He started the conversation with "well were both hunters, so of course I should lie to you...". I asked myself why? It isn't like we were going to pitch a tent in his camp, we were just looking for a couple of caribou, he was after bear and perhaps a 'bou. So why should we lie when asked for advice? I wouldn't give out GPS coordinates to my favorite spot, but a little help can bring rewards ten fold in the future.

Heck, my dad doesn't even know where I hunt, neither does the FIL or BIL. Only guy I hunt the area with is my cousin and he is the one who found it and showed it to me. If he can't go I take the wife or go solo. The wife likes a full freezer too much to talk. <grin>

If someone wants to "gift" me a spot I will certainly check it out and regardless of what I find it goes no further than that. I won't send someone to an area with no moose and I dang sure won't send anyone to an area that has them!!! If a close friend takes a person to my area then that is the last time I will share a "spot" with them. If they want to hunt w/ me then we can go to their honey hole.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    Something similar happened on our 40 mile hunt, however the other hunter knew what he was doing. He told us where he was hunting, but he was also honest about the game prospects. He offered us some alternative advice and a spot that may offer up some game. He started the conversation with "well were both hunters, so of course I should lie to you...". I asked myself why? It isn't like we were going to pitch a tent in his camp, we were just looking for a couple of caribou, he was after bear and perhaps a 'bou. So why should we lie when asked for advice? I wouldn't give out GPS coordinates to my favorite spot, but a little help can bring rewards ten fold in the future.

I agree. Besides the way I see it, if I have to tell you where to hunt your probably not going to get anything anyway... I understand game habits and terrain. Put simply, I could care less where you hunt. If I can help someone I do.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post

I agree. Besides the way I see it, if I have to tell you where to hunt your probably not going to get anything anyway... I understand game habits and terrain. Put simply, I could care less where you hunt. If I can help someone I do.
    I don't mind telling. I know the work it takes to go out and hunt and if you have the mettle, then good for you. However, i don't give GPS coordinates, but I will tell where the general area. Just too much "other" knowledge needed.

I do offer to take lots of people out though. I see it as me "giving back" in a way. Each year I get people that I've met on the internet (I consider them friends in a way) and try to allow them to come w/me when I go after an Ox. I figure it is a "once in a lifetime" hunt, and I'm glad I could help them accomplish it.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Hard for me to consider caribou and moose or sheep as even close to the same. Caribou are where you find them. I am much more likely to tell someone where I saw bou on a hunt than where I find moose. W/ moose or sheep you can see the same animals in the same area year after year. A valley filled with bou today may be barren for the next 3 day, 3 months or 3 years.

Some years back we were camped in the little O valley. We had shot our three caribou and were just heading out. We passed by a camp about 1/2 a mile down from ours that was actually visible from our own spot. They hadn't seen a thing and had been there since before we arrived. They looked dumbfounded at our meat bags and asked us where we found our bou. The look turned to disgust when my dad told them that the last one we had spotted about 100 yards from their tent early in the morning. It walked on past them and then to within 100 yards of ours. That's as far as it made it. The old man added insult to injury by pointing out that we had seen about 2 dozen animals walk past their tent over the last 2 days. It was all absolutly true. I did not have any problem telling them where we found our caribou, though they didn't seem to like the answer! Like I said Caribou are where you find them, but it helps to be LOOKING for them!

Secret spots?! What a "joke". I have yet to be in one of these "secret spots" and not find evidence of use before my arrival. I have yet to develop access whether by airdrops or a couple of hundred miles by mules an not have others start using the area (and why not - it is just as much "theirs" as anyone else). I and others have shared information about the areas we're hunting in large part because I would much rather "share" the area with individuals that have a basic understanding of the trails and general routes of travel and some hunting principles than to sit on some hillside watching them "crashing" through the brush or wondering the mountain side "spooking" sheep or whatever from one valley to the next.
    Joe (Ak)

I guess there is so much more to success than just knowing where they are I think "It's probably a better idea to help people out with ideas of good areas than to keep what I found to myself. Makes room for more, "Surprise, there they are," spots of my own.

It's all favor anyway, so to stash it,............ doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I hate the idea of Lying about my success to keep people from finding my fav areas, that's something I don't want to have to stoop to so as haaaard as it may be to imagine a bunch of "Followers" camping on my good spot next time I go out there,

I tell folks good info, to help them, then let their ability to hunt hard, endure the weather, be prepared to stick it out all things considered in Alaska Hunting... determine their level of success. Also, I love to hear people thankful for help later...
    Ideally, they didn't just follow my info to the same spot but used that info of where i had success to find their own productive area.

And Beside all that, "Heck why hunt in the same area again next year anyway? There's so much area to explore.....?????"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    "...I tell folks good info, to help them, then let their ability to hunt hard, endure the weather, be prepared to stick it out all things considered in Alaska Hunting... determine their level of success. Also, I love to hear people thankful for help later...
    Ideally, they didn't just follow my info to the same spot but used that info of where i had success to find their own productive area..."
    Hard to say it any better than that - thanks!
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I was coming back from trying to cross a swamp that I decided was too wet and met a guy on the main trail, that was headed into his hunting spot and I pulled over to let him pass. He stops to talked, he tells me where he is hunting (miles from trail head), method of hunting, the 47 inch bull he called in two days ago, the 57 inch bull he shot last year and all the moose a friend with a plane sees when he fly’s over.

After he tells me everything, I could not stand it and said, “Why are you telling me all this? You have no idea who I am. I could be some guy who tells everything on a hunting forum or at work and you going to find your area over run with hunters. Nice guy “I thought you were a local” RM “Why would tell a local? We went back and forth several times; I do not believe I got my message across to him. I hope I did because if not he can kiss his area, good buy.

I have seen this several times in the passed, most people do not give as much details. My question to all of you; Why, do you tell co-workers, and strangers where you hunt?
    Hey, that was me, I was steering you in the wrong direction so you'd stay out my way!

I tell my buddies where I hunt and the route I take to get where I go. That way they know exactly where to come find me if I don't come home.

I can't say that sharing info ever came back to bite me in the rear? If anything it helped me because the hunters I shared with respected "my spot" and gave me some room. Other thing that comes to mind is if I ever get injured I want as many people as possible to have a general idea of where I might be for sure...
    I think a good hunter / outdoorsman can readily pick out the slobs that would intrude and ruin a spot and avoid sharing any info of value with them.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I always tell folks where I caught such and such......either I have it already or I just know "It" has moved on...especially Caribou, so the info is always 'general' in nature

Shareing Hunting info is mandatory around here, we all want sucess, and theres plenty for everyone.

What a guy does with the info I give 'em depends on him.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I can't say that sharing info ever came back to bite me in the rear...I think a good hunter / outdoorsman can readily pick out the slobs that would intrude ...
    Well said --
    I don't have any honey-holes here yet, but if I did, I think I'd share them with my father if he asked and other folks I can trust to respect the information and obtain some value/pleasure from it. Maybe they'll return the favor.

Sounds like the original dude just wanted to share his exploits and successes -- no harm in that.

I'm still working on my skills at locating a good area to hunt, and techniques..So I can't say what I've done about areas where I got some good moose yet. But I will say this, I have several friends that come back with large bulls every single year it seems. They were shown the spots where they hunt by family and/or friends and asked not to disclose it. And even though I've been busting my rump for the last 3 years and haven't gotten one yet, I respect them for not blabbing, because I have seen areas that were supposed to be great and now they look like the parking lot at an outdoors show!

I tell strangers because even tho they may be more successful than me, mosty cant find their @ss with both hands. So I try to be the Good Sam. ( I do NOT divulge h9oneyholes )
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Here is a whole lot of thanks to the various individuals on this forum who have divulged some somewhat privileged info to me over the last several years. I never expected juicy details, but their hints and helps were sufficient. I want them to know that I have never passed that info on to anybody else without permission. But, because of your generosity, I have felt that I too should help out a handful of folks who needed a little of my own info/expertise. What goes around comes around/do unto others/reap what you sew/karma type stuff going on there.

I have to say, however, that I have no patience with, nor generosity for lazy people who just want information hand-outs, and are not willing to do the research, Google(earth)ing, or the walking to discover their own sweet places. A person has to be willing to try before I give out any of my success spots. That becomes even more important as our state gets more crowded.

I think we have all experienced one of our "own" places getting trashed and fished/hunted out because somebody passed info onto someone else who couldn't keep their pie hole sealed to save their soul. Watch out for those kind of people folks.

i tell my buddies what i see and where I went. I wont blab on a forum though to much about what Ive seen or where I was. Alaska is a big state and time is limited. I like to share stuff with people I trust, in turn I hope they will share with me.

I try to hunt a different area every year for Moose/Caribou, I have yet to shoot two in the same general area. This state is so big and I find alot of fun trying out new places. I don't however give out Lat/Long. to people of the places I hunted for moose, just incase I do decide to go back. Caribou however is a different story if its not a crowded hunt (40mile) I 'll tell someone exactly where I found mine.

As far as information on the trail I tend to be a little more cautious with info. But if I see a nice moose and I'm not hunting it I might give that info out. I know I don't need a moose every year so its nice to give a hand to someone who needs it.

I've given out some "spots" to honest, hard working, hard charging, people who just rub me the right way. That being said, not too many people rub me the right way. I want others to succeed and share what I feel. If I can be part of someone's dream, then I feel OK with that. I always start with "dont' tell anyone......" and if I learn that person took someone in there, or told someone else, then it's burned and I'll never give a "spot" to them again.

All of this said, rarely do any of my buddies go into these areas and harvest animals. I know the animals are there. I know that if I go, I'll get an opportunity to harvest, but that is not true with my buddies. They go in once, have no luck and never return. To date, no one has ever shot an animal in a spot I've given them, unless I was with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast