Thread: Doubles treestand?

Default Doubles treestand?

I am totally new to bear baiting and had a few questions. I was wondering how people set up their treestand if they are hunting with a partner? Do you do a double treestand or set up two? Also were do most people get their bait barrels?

Thanks!

It's up to you if you want to use a double stand or not. My hunting partner and I use two stands in the same tree. You can get a plastic bait barrel at any carwash.

Quote Originally Posted by menzel82 View Post
    I am totally new to bear baiting and had a few questions. I was wondering how people set up their treestand if they are hunting with a partner? Do you do a double treestand or set up two? Also were do most people get their bait barrels?

Thanks!
    Like MB was saying, your options are endless as to how you want your site setup, I have used 2 person ladders, 2 climbers on seperate trees only 3 feet away from each other also. It also depends on how far you a walking back to your site, weight does make a difference when it comes to walking a mile or more. For your barrels just check craigslist in April/May time frame, they will be for sale everywhere. Best of luck to you next spring, and maybe if you asked nicely "Master Baiter" will share some of his secret spots with you to get you going....

Thank you so much for the advice I appreciate it. I am excited for the next season.

Default Big game treestands

I purchased a double seater big game treestand this year and I loved it for bear baiting. In my opinion they sit two people as comfortably as any stand can for 3 hours or more. I got the smallest size of the double person big game treestand and it was adequate. If you want to you can order a bigger size as they make two larger double person stands with the differences being a bigger foot platform and a bigger seating area, but watch the weight as the larger ones weigh more and will likely take at least three people to hang the stand. I also love the shooting rail, it is a great reliable rest and makes for a nice easy shot. If you want to bowhunt you could probably even take the shooting rail off and it would make a good bowhunting treestand. I ordered mine from cabelas but noticed a couple weeks ago they now have them in stock at sportmans warehouse.

I bought a 2 man tree stand for my son to hunt bears . The one we bought is very comforatable and you can sit facing foward or backwards with the backrest and railing swinging over if you bow hunt.

I usually set up two hangon treestands on the same tree, each facing opposing directions for different shooting lanes. The other advantage to this is you only need one set of treesteps to do so. The most stands I hung on one bait site has been three stands, but found out that it isn't necessary, never have that many people there. You can buy barrels from a guy in Wasilla near Target I believe, ill have to look for his number. He usually advertises near baiting season on craigslist. Another option that some guys/gals have tried has been beer kegs, I might try this next season. Good luck next season, I cannot wait for bear baiting season again, I absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    [...] I cannot wait for bear baiting season again, I absolutely love it.
    Same here.. while it's allot of work, it's worth the effort.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

He went out of business. Im with you guys cant wait for baiting season

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I usually set up two hangon treestands on the same tree, each facing opposing directions for different shooting lanes. The other advantage to this is you only need one set of treesteps to do so. The most stands I hung on one bait site has been three stands, but found out that it isn't necessary, never have that many people there. You can buy barrels from a guy in Wasilla near Target I believe, ill have to look for his number. He usually advertises near baiting season on craigslist. Another option that some guys/gals have tried has been beer kegs, I might try this next season. Good luck next season, I cannot wait for bear baiting season again, I absolutely love it.