Thread: No Ducks?

Unhappy No Ducks?

I dont know what it is, but so far this season has sucked....Not near as much bird activity than previous season's. I got six opening day, and thats it so far??????????
    Migration delayed?
    anyone have a clue?

Other than onesy, twoseys that have likely been here all summer -- I haven't seen any real movement or sign in the couple times I have been out looking either. I have seen geese #s coming through but no ducks to speak of. New to Alaska -- I was wondering the same thing -- have they even started to move? The "First Day" post reflects similar conclusions -- low numbers . . .

The migration will pick up and the opening weekend warriors will die off as it gets colder. It does seem like there is a smaller number of local birds this year but the weather hasn't been very cooperative either. If things don't pick up throughout the week, I'll have to make a road trip with the boat in tow.

I've had the same experience. I usually see more birds the first week or two than I've been seeing. The teal have for the most part been absent. They are usually here in hgher numbers the first 2 weeks.

I've noticed the low numbers as well, which is unusual based off of previous seasons beginning numbers. Looking foward to a good front to move in some new birds.

I'd like to talk with a biologist about this. I have been on DL daily for the past 5 mornings, today didn't even fire a shot. Since these are all local ducks we are shooting here now, its the local population that is down. Also, since the majority, maybe 90% of the ducks we see, are this years hatch, its obvious that the nesting and reproduction this season is down in this area. Havn't seen or looked for reports specifically from the Fbk area or Bristol Bay area, etc, so my firsthand knowledge is limited to observation over the past 5 days. In addition, the abnormal amount of rain we have had may be a huge factor. Possibly a lot of nests this spring/early summer were washed out, eggs gone bad due to rain, or coolness with the rain, etc. Maybe even some flooded nests. For some reason the natural production is way down. We can only hope that the areas the Northern birds come from had a better nesting season and we get lots of Northern ducks coming through to save the season. I had high hopes for this being the best waterfowl season ever for me, I worked dilligently to have the equip I needed to hunt my chosen area, and know that in past years they have had some super seasons. Just not working out for this year so far, but not giving up on it yet. Bud

Im expecting to see lower than normal numbers of all birds this year. While my experiance with ducks is somewhat limited, cool wet summers are never good for grouse numbers and ptarmagin have frequantly followed simular paterns.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Could not hardly buy a duck

I just got back from Healy Lake, over Delta Jct way. Saturday night we saw maybe 15 to 20 birds, not including a nice group of swans that came in close and showed off. Those birds were so far away I could not even tell what they were.
    I did not hunt Sunday morning, but again Sunday night pretty much the same. This morning I changed up tactics a bit and walked the edge of some marsh. I was pretty sure nobody had been there this year, but the ducks were scarce.
    I did knock down a mallard hen that my young lab ran a good mark on, other than that, it was very slow.
    I have hunted the lake since 1972 and I think this is the slowest I've ever seen it. The only guys that seemed to get any shooting were the ones running and gunning or shooting after hours.
    Maybe I need to go back and see if my luck will hold out on cranes again. The ducks sure don't seem worth tackling, at least not yet.