Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagle River Black Bear Hunt!!!

Red face Eagle River Black Bear Hunt!!!

Has anybody ever hunted regestration only hunt for black bear, between the nature center and Girdwood? I am planning on doing that hunt this spring and I need a few tips!!!

I haven't hunted it, but I've hiked the entire length of the trail at least 20-30 times. I always see bears, and once saw 26 black bears in 6 days...and it was raining, so they weren't out as thick as usual. There are lots of bears out there.

-Brian

Default Yes

I have hunted it and there are alot of bears back in there and they are up high. Sit in the river bed and glass the hillsides for blueberries and watch them come, especially on sunny days. I have seen them on both sides of the river, and rememer you can't start hunting till you get past icicle creek. be careful, there are some big brownies in ther as well.
    I remember there being a crapload of sows with cubs also

Good Luck

There are a rediculous number of bears out there, just crazy, lots of browns lots of blacks.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Eagle River Brownies

I too can attest that this drainage is full of bears, both brown and black. A word of caution though, there are many very large brownies in there that have no fear of humans having never been hunted. My one and only time hunting in there we had a brown bear in our camp every night.

oh yeah....bring some type of wader or glacier sock to cross the river. Best advice I can give you!

It seemed like most of the blackies we would see were on the south side, leaving a river crossing to get after them.

Quote Originally Posted by mtcop71 View Post
    I have hunted it and there are alot of bears back in there and they are up high. Sit in the river bed and glass the hillsides for blueberries and watch them come, especially on sunny days.
    Interesting. It has been almost the opposite in my experience. Well, on the Girdwood side - up high near Raven Gorge - I see the bears up on the hillsides. Down by Eagle River, especially up by Thunder Gorge, I see them down in the valley bottom when I'm glassing from 300-500 feet up the side of the mountain. I guess it all depends on your vantage point and the food source available at the time. If you go in spring I would focus on the valley bottom, as that's where it will turn green first. They could be anywhere, though, so keep your eyes peeled. I've had many bears walk right into camp out there (again, especially at Thunder Gorge.)

-Brian

Default Bear Fence

So, a bear fence would probably be VERY wise to have while back there? I'll be going after Blackies in the early summer/spring while I'm scouting out the area for my goat hunt in Sept. I've been back there one time for a couple of hours, never saw a bear, but saw TONS of tracks. Fresh ones. Lots of Blackie tracks, but a couple of Brownie tracks. BIG ONES. Almost scary there are so many bear back there. Just remember. Thats a long way to hike out with the bear once you get it. I figured that'll get me in shape for the goat hunt.
    Johnny

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    ....Down by Eagle River, especially up by Thunder Gorge, I see them down in the valley bottom when I'm glassing from 300-500 feet up the side of the mountain. I guess it all depends on your vantage point and the food source available at the time.....
    Pitch a camp at Thunder Gorge, build a nice, warm fire, cook some weinies on a stick, and keep your rifle at hand.

They'll walk right into camp with you..................

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    ...Thats a long way to hike out with the bear once you get it. I figured that'll get me in shape for the goat hunt.
    Johnny
    Thirteen miles or so to Thunder Gorge and the river crossing. At least it's fairly level to the nature center.

This old man could carry a bear out, but it wouldn't be something he would be planning to do............

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thirteen miles or so to Thunder Gorge and the river crossing. At least it's fairly level to the nature center.
    If Thunder Gorge were my destination, I would walk from the Eagle River side. No river crossing necessary, 12 mile hike, mostly flat, easy walking.

-Brian

Thumbs up Mountain bikes

My father in law and I took mountain bikes in from the Eagle River nature center as far as we could, then stashed them. It knocked out the first 2-3 miles much quicker and easier than walking. Some good saddle bags on the bikes would be a welcome site on the way out too. You could probably walk the bikes further than we did with a little work.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years, mountain bikes are not permitted on the Eagle River Nature Center trails. They're trying to protect the trails from the rutting that comes from mt. bike use. You can use them on some other state park trails (Peter's Creek, for example), but not in Eagle River.

I'm surprised nobody called you on it, Mud. They're pretty tight with enforcement out there.

-Brian

Red face Oops...

Didn't know that, thanks for the heads up Brian. It has been 5 or 6 years ago now that we did it on a sheep hunt. Maybe they weren't banned then, or maybe we just got lucky...

Scratch the Mtn. bike idea
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

they should have a grizzley hunt for all of eagle river I say anything in the eagle river drainage and in CSP should be harvest for blackies registration for grizz and 50 inch for moose, plus we should be able to hunt small game. There are so many rabbits and grouse and bears back there, its stupid to not let people hunt them I mean its that or have hunts in the streets of eagle wood which happens right now. I'm afraid to go down to the river in ER I'm not afraid of any drainage in AK as much as ER as far as grizzlies go. I know 3 people who have been charged down there.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    Unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years, mountain bikes are not permitted on the Eagle River Nature Center trails. They're trying to protect the trails from the rutting that comes from mt. bike use. You can use them on some other state park trails (Peter's Creek, for example), but not in Eagle River.
    Yup us mt. bikers are gonna rut up the boardwalks, poaching (on a mt. bike) carries a $1000 fine don't ask me how I know.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ......its stupid to not let people hunt them......
    It's open season.

It's just a "put-'em-on-your-back" hunt.

No problem. That's where the "put-'em-on-your-back" guys need to hunt.

Good huntin', too.......

So......................where are they?.................

......I mean its that or have hunts in the streets of eagle wood which happens right now. I'm afraid to go down to the river in ER I'm not afraid of any drainage in AK as much as ER as far as grizzlies go. I know 3 people who have been charged down there.
    So, again.....

........where are they?.............

Default Not to sidetrack but...

Ive spotted bears all over the valley. Growing up on Hiland I used to venture down the old homestead trails, some of which lead to the nature center, some go down to the river. Never in my life had I seen so many bears over the course of the few summers I would explore there. At the time it was so-so legal to cruis earound on a dirt bike however thats not the case these days. This year alone my parents had a routine sow/2 cubs in there yard, Ihave personally walked into our open garage to greet a blackie, have spotted a blackie cub climbing the birch by the garage to go after bird seed. Infact once while installing a stereo in a chevy s10 i had a bear walk past the driver door, with the window down, i though it was our dog.....

Its not that they are in any one place, they are all over. There are well beaten highways through the woods

You say the registration is from between the nature center and girdwood...does any part of the hiland road/valley enter into the reg. area? i dont have my good map book so I cant look it up.

shoot me a PM if so.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Having a season on grizzlies in ER valley would be a risky move. It'd probably be successful most of the time, but every once a while, a wounded bear would make her way into someones yard. That'd be bad news for the hunting community.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by nwsak View Post
    Having a season on grizzlies in ER valley would be a risky move. It'd probably be successful most of the time, but every once a while, a wounded bear would make her way into someones yard. That'd be bad news for the hunting community.
    A wounded bear running around a community like Anchorage or Eagle River would be a media circus.

But, then, bears in neighborhoods already is a media circus:

Here:

A trash-munching grizzly bear was shot by Fish and Game officers in an Eagle River subdivision Tuesday night....
    Here:

Brazen bears rattling residential communities...
    And here:

Bear Sightings Spike in Anchorage Neighborhoods....
    And this one is a real doozy:

Good news! Sinnott silenced, finally! Rick Sinnott had way too much visibility by way of our local television stations and Daily News articles....
    So, I guess, the best thing to do is just let the bears roam about unchallenged, right?

Ever notice that you almost never read about such things here in the Valley? It's always Anchorage, Eagle River, or Girdwood.

Things are different out here.

It isn't a "zoo" or "park".

It's open season here. And the bears know it.

Funny how that works..............

Same thing in the bush, Mark. Bears are a competing predator and a danger to humans. Most folks out here don't allow them close to town and camps. Most bears out here know that humans shoot first and ask questions later.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast