Thread: Girdwood in late July [Part 1 of 3]

Default Girdwood in late July [Part 1 of 3]

I spent a couple days in late July photographing the Girdwood Fine Arts Camp, which is an institution that for the past 24 years has spent two weeks each summer bringing young people from ages 5 to 18 into contact with professional artists. Primarily I was photographing Jim Kaiser's sessions that work with stained glass. And a major consideration were some past projects that built huge 12 foot in diameter flower pots using culvert pipe with stained glass patterns on the sides. But in addition, the flowers themselves were interesting, and so were various wild plants growing along the roadside.

Default Girdwood in late July [Part 2 of 3]

Default Girdwood in late July [Part 3 of 3]

These and many photographs of Jim Kaiser's stained glass sessions are at Girdwood Fine Arts Camp - 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post

I absolutely love this one. Something about the composition touches me in some way. Thanks for sharing man. Interesting subject matter for sure.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I absolutely love this one. Something about the composition touches me in some way. Thanks for sharing man. Interesting subject matter for sure.

-Dan
    Interesting comment! It matches my mind set when that was shot. After a dozen or fifteen shots of those particular plants, I wasn't sure that any of them were going to be able to show what I wanted. (Turned out there were a couple others that worked out above my expectations, but I didn't know that then.) It suddenly occurred to me that I could get underneath and shoot with only the cloudy sky as the background! I took one shot and knew I'd nailed what I wanted. So I did shoot a couple more just to be sure! :-)

I shoot plants when I'm bored because there are no animals, and animals when I can't shoot people...

Here's a portrait of Jim Kaiser. It's not outdoors, but trust me that he's an example of Alaska's wildlife!