Thread: Newbie Introduction

Default Newbie Introduction

Greetings from the lower 48. Just joined and thought I'd kind of put an introduction in. I'm from the Amish country of Pennsylvania and although I have never been to your great state - I plan to do so next summer.......finally gonna fullfill that lifelong dream of mine. I've had a fly rod in my hand and have been winding materials around a hook since the tender age of 13 and now that I'm 54 - it's about time to see for myself what I've been reading about for so long now. But......I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed by it all - trying to decide just how I want to do it. Thought I had my mind made up to spend the $ and fly into the Bristol Bay area but my sister who is visiting your state -taking a road trip now, called yesterday and said there's no need to spend that kind of money - that they are seeing great fishing along the roadways. So I don't know and am back at square one but anyway - I'm glad I found this site and look forward to checking in now and then. And.......whichever way I go next year, I'm sure it will be a trip of a lifetime. Again - looking forward to the reading on here.

Nice introduction Steely, welcome.

quote : "...I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed by it all...."

Yup, know the feeling, but as you keep reading here, it gets a whole lot less. Lots of good info.

- Jay

Quote Originally Posted by steely34 View Post
    Thought I had my mind made up to spend the $ and fly into the Bristol Bay area but my sister who is visiting your state -taking a road trip now, called yesterday and said there's no need to spend that kind of money.

Has your sister done much fishing in Bristol Bay?

Buy Tony Weaver and Troy Letherman's "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska..."

Buy Scott Haugen's "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska"

Find a target species or two, pick a river, then decide on trip timing. Consider a remote float trip. PM me if you do. That is my favorite way to see Alaska. Consider the lodges if you got the dough. Maybe rent an RV and do the roadside thing. Lots of opportunity there. The Kenai has lots to offer. Many ways to skin a cat man. Reading the two above books will be of great use to you. Not only will they inform you, but they will help you narrow down the seemingly endless options. I have fished in many parts of Alaska. I don't know much, but I am willing to talk about what I do know. Shoot me a pm or email danattherock@hotmail.com anytime you want to talk. I always got time to talk fishing. Welcome to the forum.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

As you read more on here you will realize there are people that know what they are talking about. Then there are people like me, Im a lengend in my own mind You will find the crowd here can help you out in many ways. Most of us have fished all over the state at one time or another ay every time of the year, Dont hesitate to ask questions, jump in and chat, and smack the heck out of Danattherock.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

It seems to me that lots of people find great fishing along the road system. You pay the big bucks to fish bristol bay so you get the great fishing and don't find lots of people...

Thanks much for the info - I will look into getting my hands on those books Dan. No - Sis's trip is her first and she's not really up on fishin. But anyway - I'll keep on readin for the next month or so - then make a firm decision on all of this. Either way - I'm finding that this is all part of the fun I guess. At least better than planning a day's work!!

Steely
    the books Dan has recommended are a good starting point.
    I'm originaly from the Pottstown area and have been here for 15 years (and spent a couple of years feeling overwhelmed.
    Send me a pm.
    Gary

No - Sis's trip is her first and she's not really up on fishing.

Steely, I was kidding of course. But at the same time reminding you that folks that have not fished in remote areas of Alaska will always say, "fish the road system". It is the only thing they know. I am not knocking it, just stating a fact. There can be a significant difference in the quality and ease of fishing on remote rivers. In more remote locales fish tend to be "stupid fish" as folks like to call them. Aside from that, the solitude alone can be intoxicating. Then there is the wildlife and such. A very different experience than riding down the highway in an RV looking for a pullout near a river. Again, nothing wrong with that. Just pointing out the obvious differences. Three basic choices (among many), stay in a lodge, take a remote float trip, or fish the road system. Your budget and goals will dictate which way you want to go. It would be pretty hard to go wrong doing any of these on your first trip. First being key word as you will likely be taking many more. Read the books I suggested and ask some questions here on the forum as they come up. Lots of knowledgable folks here willing to help you out.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks so much everyone for the info. Dan - I'm finding that your right in your thoughts about it all. I'm not into crowds or combat fishing - in fact when I fish for steelhead here - I'll walk a long way past fish and people just to get away..... so perhaps a fly-in would be my way of doing it. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the Lake Creek area with Wilderness Place Lodge ... (being a newbie to this site I'm not sure if I can name lodges ..hope I don't get banned right off the start) but that's not definate. Following a week with them, I was kind of thinking of renting a motorhome and doing a few days of the road thing. It's still up in the air though. Thanks so much again for all your help and you all can count on me being somewhat of a pest in this quest of mine.

The first thing I really need to decide is what species I want to target. The heaviest fly rod I have is a 7 weight that I use for steel. Too light for Kings and a 10 weight I would never really use here. Although Kings so intrigue me, Silvers I hear are just unbelievable and from the pics I've seen are beautiful - So are the rainbows. So I guess my question to start is - for you lucky fellows who live there or have fished there in the past - without creating a huge debate - if you were a first timer - what would you think I should target. Again - flyfishing is my thing along with my son.

Secondly, - again I guess I should post this over in the flyfishing section - but I'm used to floating lines with constant mending when I fish for steel. I'm reading alot about the use of sink tips up there or even spey rods. Is that the norm when it comes to using the flyrod up in your waters?

There's alot more to come gentlemen - please bear with me.

I fished the upper kenai yesterday and caught some nice trout, dollies, and huge silvers. If I were coming up here I would come in September and target these species. Silvers on the fly are awesome. They put up the greatest fight, IMO. There are less people out fishing now than in the summer months. I fish the road systems a lot, and if you are willing to hike away from the crowd, you can still find some solitude, and some decent fishing. (Carry Bear Spray) Read the books Dan suggested and that will help you plan your trip accordingly. Good information with run timing and areas to fish. If you come during the summer, and fish the roadways, be ready to deal with a lot of people. When the fish are in at the easily accessible areas, so are the people.

Yeah when my sister called - she had taken a raft trip down the upper kenai and said there were dollies there - also some reds. You know - I cannot imagine.....You are so fortunate as I'm sure ya already know. I mean - here i am trying to plan my trip of a lifetime (and yes - perhaps I will be back) and your able to fish what I call my dream water frequently. You all have my jealousy.

Ya, but you got White tails.

- if you were a first timer - what would you think I should target.

I would look for a Sept trip with an emphasis on flyfishing for rainbows, dollies, and silvers. Whether that be a remote float in SW Alaska, a lodge experience, or an RV on the Kenai, this would be a great first trip in my opinion. Less tourists, less bugs (if any), great weather, fantastic fishing, just a perfect time to visit Alaska.