Thread: Great land success

Default Great land success

bou.jpgmoo.jpgFirst, I love Alaska. Second ,,,I love Alaska. After 3 years of living here I finally got to hunt for more than an afternoon. I was able to schedule a week of and hit it hard.

Friday the 27 I left Wasilla heading for the Forty mile area with a Bou tag. I was told this was an easy hunt and a way to put meat in the freezer. HA! Not this year. 200 miles on my wheeler and a lot on my feet, hours of glassing and lots of rain and wind with not a single bou spotted. I was really thinking about tossing the towel in when I finally saw the first caribou. A bull at 200-250 yards. I was able to anchor him. I had really not looked at him horn wise as this was a meat hunt and after 3 days any bou was a good bou. Turns out he is a nice bull with a double shovel. 31st of Aug. and a bou for the freezer. Life is good.

As I am a ways from home and Moose opens on the 1st, I think what the heck. I will bum around and see what happens. As luck would have it lightning strikes twice and I was able to take a spike about 75 yards of the road system. In the time span of 3 days I was able to complete two big game hunts, fill mine a two friends freezer, and drink a rum and coke. First moose, first bou, great adventures and landscapes, as i said, I love Alaska.

Man, that is absolutely fantastic! A beautiful bull caribou and a tasty spike in three days? Crazy good fortune for you, sir. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing.

Way to go !!

MEAT!! MEAT!! MEAT!!! the Cheer of the sucsessfull Hunter!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

That is awesome man, way to go.

This is probably the same guy that kills 2 ducks with his first shot on his first waterfowl hunt too.

That is crazy good fortune!! Congrats!!

I don't think an undertaker could wipe that smile from your mug! Congrats on sticking with it and being successful!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

THanks to all. It was brought to my attention that my post looked like I killed both animals in the same area, 20E. That is not the case. The moose came from 20D on a general harvest ticket hunt. I would like to thank the person that pointed this out to me.

Congratulations and enjoy your tasty bounty for months to come!!!

Great job, good to have friends with freezer capacity!! Nice to spend some quality time in the bush.

Man you got something goin' on....

Good Job stickin it out with the endurance thing. and then....

GOOD SHOOTIN', and then Good Cuttin' and Packin' and Wrappin'................ Wow what a week, Congrats

SOME GOOD EATIN' comin' up for you and yours, for a GOOD LONG TIME........

Thanks for writing it up for us
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

borderblue,

It doesn't get much better than that, looks like you have a full freezer to get through winter. Congrats and thanks for posting,

Congrats!! Two tasty animals in the freezer!!! That caribou is a dandy for a first!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

way to go congrats I sent you a pm jeff

Sure looks like a easy moose hunt there...............He ain't got no legs!!!

Congrats!! You sure made it look too easy........All in one week. Congrats agian.

Yep, I find it is a lot easier to hit a moose with no legs. That is unless they are in tall brush then the advantage shift to the moose.

I have to admit now that the excitement has worn off, I am a little depressed. No more big game for me this year. I am going to go out with a freind and act as a pack mule in the event that he gets a bull but it is still not the same. Yep the dark cloud of depression is hanging over my head. What to do, what to do. Guess Ill just have to go BBQ a steak and lament a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by borderblue1 View Post
    Yep, I find it is a lot easier to hit a moose with no legs. That is unless they are in tall brush then the advantage shift to the moose.

I have to admit now that the excitement has worn off, I am a little depressed. No more big game for me this year. I am going to go out with a freind and act as a pack mule in the event that he gets a bull but it is still not the same. Yep the dark cloud of depression is hanging over my head. What to do, what to do. Guess Ill just have to go BBQ a steak and lament a bit.
    Shoot Low Shorty - they are riding Shetlands!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....