Thread: Just came up with a really good recipe for duck!

Default Just came up with a really good recipe for duck!

I was experimenting with cooking some duck this evening when I came up with a way to get that liver flavor out.

Soak it in water for at least 24 hours
    Inject with Tony Chachere's roasted garlic and herb marinade
    cover duck breast with a pouch of lipton onion soup mix and add 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of olive oil
    bake at 375 for 30 to 45 min

It came out really well, I know that one is going into my recipe book, and with the onion soup gravy that was left in the pan, it made a great topper for some wild rice.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

sounds tasty....have to give it a go...
    I've always boiled my duck to get the blood/crappy flavor out....usually gets breaded/fried after that....your recipe sound much better...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

WHAT!
    Liver flavor, blood/ crappy flavor. What kind of ducks you guy shooting? Must be sea ducks. Shot some White wings once, never again. But as for the puddle/diver ducks(yes even spoonies and golden eyes) around here, I never had one I had to do anything prior to cooking it. I just put a little lemon pepper, onion and garlic powder, then put on the grill. Or salt/pepper and roast whole (mallards, geese.) If you don't really like the taste, try making brats with some. I do that with some of my ducks but not because I don't like the taste, I just like brats. Or wrap them in bacon. Bacon makes everything taste better.

What is your recipe for brats? I am a huge fan of brats, and that sounds really good. I bet they would make some excellent summer sausage as well. I will have to give your bacon idea a try as well. Do you fry or grill them when you wrap them?

Duck slayer- I think we're going to try your recipe tonight, it sounds great.

We take our breasts and cut them into bite size pieces, soak them in 1 cup of whiskey and 1 cup of dales steak sauce for an hour or so. Wrap them in bacon and stick a tooth pick through it to hold it. Put them on the grill for 15 minutes and flip at the halfway point. Enjoy!

do you drink this whiskey after ? if not thats just a waste lol

See you only use a cup of the bottle. That leaves plenty left to enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    What is your recipe for brats? I am a huge fan of brats, and that sounds really good. I bet they would make some excellent summer sausage as well. I will have to give your bacon idea a try as well. Do you fry or grill them when you wrap them?
    Thats an old family recipe on the wife's side she would kill me. You should be able to find one on line though. I will tell you 1 lb pork sausage for 4 lb duck, more but not less. As for the seasonings all I tell you is if a cup of cream fell into it it wouldn't be a bad thing. Also use real gut casings. With the bacon we grill it but I guess you could put it in the oven. we make kabobs. after the last turn put some pepper jack on them and let that melt a few min..

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Thats an old family recipe on the wife's side she would kill me. You should be able to find one on line though. I will tell you 1 lb pork sausage for 4 lb duck, more but not less. As for the seasonings all I tell you is if a cup of cream fell into it it wouldn't be a bad thing. Also use real gut casings. With the bacon we grill it but I guess you could put it in the oven. we make kabobs. after the last turn put some pepper jack on them and let that melt a few min..
    Ummm, sounds tasty.......
    I always made duck poppers. Half a jalapeno pepper filled with cream cheese, with a cubed duck breast on top wrapped in bacon.... cook on grill of oven, until bacon is done

I saw this on the DU show a few years ago and use it regularly. Fillet out the breast so it is thin and flat. I mix peach preserves, touch of brandy and black pepper and spread it liberally on the breast. You roll up the breast and wrap it with thick sliced peppered bacon holding it together with toothpicks. Put it on the BBQ with a pan of hickory chips and cook it. The duck breast comes out with a smoked/cooked affect and the peach preserves cook into the meat giving it an almost sweet flavor. Using this recipe has worked on every type of duck. I tried it with a sandhill last year. Had to cut it up. The roll up looked like a football. Haa haa.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Soak it in water for at least 24 hours

Add a few tablespoons of salt to the water you soak it in and it'll get the blood out a lot better. I also add an equal amount of brown sugar and it helps the meat get some flavor right from the start. Personally, I don't mind (in fact I like) the flavor of duck right out of the bird, but my wife doesn't like it. I'll put it in that brine for 24-48 hours and it really knocks that waterfowly edge off of the flavor.

good idea, thanks

Pick the duck. Put a couple hunks of onion wedges in the cavity, maybe a couple of apple slices too. Salt and pepper the outside and put in a baking dish with a rack under it so it stays off the bottom. Put a cup of wine or beer into the dish, not touching the duck. Put into a 525 or 550 degree (you choose) oven and cook until you like it. I like about 25 to 30 minutes at 550, depending on the size of the duck. It should be rare to medium to rare in the middle. I eat it like a corn cob with the grease running down my chin...mmmm...mmmm! My wife has learned to tolerate this behavior.
    Jesse