Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trophy hunting. What has it done to our sport?

Default Trophy hunting. What has it done to our sport?

Down here Deer hunting has evolved into a "what did it score" game. It has really turned my stomach to what it did to the sport of bowhunting. People turn in to monsters all for a deer. I know people who will do anything for a big buck, not all of it legal. They pay big money to hunt private land, no big deal but they will out bid a buddy or cut them off ona deer trail and anything else it takes. If you shoot a buck with a low score you are a scumbag for shooting "future book buck". They get pi$$ed if you shoot a 6 or 8 pt buck. Then you also have the whole poaching thing. Deer have been shot at night with only the head taken, taken out of season, taken out of closed areas. tresspassed and just about anything you can think of. They have total forgotten that each and every legal and ethical kill is to be celebrated. Deer have been reduced to a "score" not the beautifull animal they are. they forget how good they taste and the fun of a hunt with your buddies. My first 3 deer were killed with a recurve. two does and a 6pt buck. We celebrated each kill! We had venison!! we split meat and had a blast. Then the deer herd took off and now deer are at all time highs.Bow hunting has turned for so many people in to a quest for a rack and thrown away all their ethics and morals. I have a buddy who has done it the right way and killed 7 book bucks but will never enter one as he does not want to play that game. two years ago i let an 8pt buck walk past me and he scolded me for not shooting it. He has remembered what hunting is all about. Nothing wrong with trophy hunting as long as we just dont forget what hunting is all about. Its not all about the horns. Now combine good friends with ethics and morals and hunt hard and any animal you kill is a true trophy! If it has big head gear so much the better but if i have to choose i would choose the first hands down!!

It ain't just Trophy Hunting. Shoot Fire, up here we do that and more, for a fish. Some will do that much just for a place to fish. Seriously.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Trophy hunting has been around for a hundred years, I believe the difference now is that we have television to promote it and less land access. For 50 years there's been a migration from country living to city living. Hunters used to be able to hunt their farms or their family members farms. This easy access is gone for many people, leaving them depeding on leasing land, hiring guides, trespassing, or poaching to get a shot at a good animal. If you're going to pay to hunt, you would rather pay to take a trophy animal than a small doe.

As far as television, it's kind of like sex sells. "Big racks" sell in multiple worlds. If Leupold, Realtree, Thompson Center, etc., associate their products with trophy animals they're more likely to sell their product. So they show trophy hunts and drive the idea of trophy hunting into the brain of everyone watching.

Any animal you take that puts food on the table is a trophy in my book.

"We celebrated each kill! We had venison!! we split meat and had a blast."

Im with ya on that........Thats how I go about it.

People do flip out........some hate "Sports" More hate "Subsistance" .......as if they werent the Same anyway...Hunting.

Besides killing threads left and right Ive been posting a few of my catch's.
    A big Mistake if you show more than one carcass.
    Some cannot grasp that we eat a Caribou a week in my house when we have it.
    The biggest mistake was posting the wifes Bear this spring and including the claws and tail in the mesurements. The tail was part of the skin, how would I know?

My **** up

So I learn when I burn......

....as well, my mistake fo 'talking Bear" a big -No No- among my fellow hunters....

My first and last time mesuring anything, 'cept mabt the 2 skulls from the shed roof that are BIGGER than the wife's Brown..........

~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nothing. Heck even you referred to it as a sport. You get trophy's playing sports if you’re successful right? Some people have different ideas as to what a trophy is. Some want the meat, some want the rack, and some want both. I'm not a trophy hunter, but I do collect the "trophies” from the animals I harvest. Most people do. On some level we are all trophy hunters. I mean if we took a poll, and said if you had the opportunity to harvest a spike fork or a 60 inch bull, I'm pretty sure the vast majority would take the big boy. Actually trophy hunting puts important dollars (and in some areas meat) into many places through out the world (thus promoting conservation). I agree with AK Wonderer about TV etc. The only difference between now and then, is that we can watch it on TV, and they had to read about it books. Like I've said before on here, as long as it is legal and ethically done, to each his own! This should make for a fun and interesting thread though!

Ak wonder, i agree with you a 100%, thats the reason it has gotten so bad. And Im glad kgpcr, you dont think all trophy hunters are bad news, I would consider myself one, heres my reason for that. I collect big horns/antlers, from the sheds i find to the game I take, theres just something about em that I love, each one is different like art. The bigger and more nontyipical the better,(and they are more valueable), but I will never or have never told anyone that their animal wasnt a trophy, every kill or shed find is a memory to hold forever. It does feel like a score game now a days, because it has gotten to be like tradeing baseball cards but with antlers, I keep the big/rare ones and sell the rest. Ive seen poached and stolen antlers surface and i just report it to F&G when ive seen it, I dont condone that crap. I have some huge antlers, some that make book without question, and I score them myself, not one of my sheds or racks have been officaily scored, officials have looked at them but I wont enter em, thats for me, like a own personal best score. I have to addmit its nice to brag now and then to these guys that spend all that money on private land leases, and private guide services or the canned hunts, that i did it without all that and with my best friends. Of coarse they never believe me when i spurt off about my 182 muley, 372 elk... until they see it, lol. but your right for sure about the level of ethics being brought to a all time low, we are all hunters in the feild reguardless of why, who, where, when and by what means we hunt, so why cant everyone act like sportsmen. most guys just want to "fit in" and be "that guy", the season of fame and its what some people are willing to do to achieve that, that has given trophy hunting the bad name. I love feasting on game all year, showing off pics, video and horns with buddies while listening to stories passing, on new ones, and planning for the next ones. I hope that im not part of the problem as you see it, Im just doing what I love and enjoy while showing respect to every hunter. happy hunting to all!

An interesting note is that for the most part trophy deer hunting is sound game management. We have our own defacto version of that with the SF50 moose and full curl sheep regulations. These rules help to ensure the balance needed for a hunted population to grow. I am no "bone collector" but when it helps the population it is hard to fault it.

I have NOTHING against trophy hunting the right way. But for me the day an animal is just a score i quit. There has to be the fun and thrill of the hunt. Just being outdoors and taking in the sunrise and sunset. seeing other animals big and small. Good friends and a good campfire. now thats a hunt

Nothing wrong with trophy huunting but the way I see it you cant eat the horns and as posted before anything animal that puts food on the table

I don't worry what other people do or think. If your concerned about points other than if it's legal.... your not in my camp anyway.
    Last edited by alaskanassasin; 09-05-2010 at 12:28. Reason: spelling
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

If I am glassing a hill side a see a spike bull on one side of the hill and a 55 incher on the other. I'm going after the 55 incher because it has double the meat. Does that make me a trophy hunter? I will hang the 55 incher right next to a forked horn they are all trophys.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default What Jim Posewitz had to say...

from Beyond Fair Chase: the Ethic and Tradition of Hunting by Jim Posewitz:
    The basic idea of a trophy is the pursuit of an animal that has grown
    to maturity by having survived both nature's limitations and many
    hunting seasons. The pursuit of such an animal limits the hunter's
    chances of taking an animal because there are few of them in a
    population. Testing your skill as a hunter by restricting yourself to
    the pursuit of these uncommon, individual animals elevates your
    personal standard. In this context, seeking a trophy is consistent
    with a sensitive hunting ethic.

Implicit in the idea "trophy" is that the game pursued is a wild,
    free-ranging animal
    and that other hunters have not been completely
    restricted from its pursuit. Also implicit in the trophy concept is
    that the animal is the natural product of the land. Practices such as
    stimulating antler growth with mineral blocks, hormones, or other
    substances is beyond acceptable ethical practice, and diminishes the
    value of all trophies. [my emphasis]

The ethics of pursuing a trophy animal are closely tied to why we seek
    such an animal. If you hunt these animals because they represent the
    survivors of many hunts, and you respect that achievement, then you
    have selected a high personal standard. If, on the other hand, you
    pursue a trophy to establish that you, as an individual hunter, are
    superior to other hunters, then you have done it to enhance your
    personal status, and that crosses the ethical line. No animal should
    be killed for that reason.

Hunting is not a contest between humans. Trophy scoring and big game
    contests come perilously close to, and sometimes cross, the line of
    proper ethical practice. In other words, trying to take a trophy to
    get your name in a record book is taking a fine animal for the wrong
    reason. Contests between hunters that require killing animals should
    be prohibited. Trying to kill the "big buck" to win a contest or a
    monetary prize also represents pursuing and killing wildlife for the
    wrong reasons.

The idea of hunting trophy animals and the preservation of wildlife
    have a deep and common root in our history. One of our nation's oldest
    and proudest conservation organizations has done both well for over a
    century. There is value in keeping trophy records, and they should
    include information about the animal, the land that produced it, and
    the wild nature of the habitat that sustained it. Over time, valuable
    information about a species and the land is collected and
    preserved. Displaying the name of the hunter, however, may no longer
    be necessary.
    [my emphasis]

Human perceptions of grace, strength, beauty, and edibility - along
    with the necessities of subsistence - contributed to the notion of
    game animals. For the hunter, the display of a trophy is a reminder of
    the hunt and a way of extending the appreciation of the experience and
    the animal.

In this respect every animal ever taken is a trophy. They are all
    things of beauty and remembering them through photography, taxidermy,
    or other forms of art is reasonable.

We have some of Jim's work posted on our Alaska Backcountry Hunters
    website. These excerpts above are available HERE

Plenty more concering opinions on hunting and hunting ethics is on
    Jim Powlesland's hunting page here:
    http://people.ucalgary.ca/~powlesla/...ext/index.html

I think TV has made "trophy hunting" what it is today.I agree,nothing wrong with trophy hunting done the right way,but way too many people are missing out on a lot because of what they see on TV/videos.They make it look like book animals are everywhere just waiting to be taken when most know the opposite is true.If people would do what they enjoy and stop worrying what other people think things in the hunting world would be a lot better off IMO.

alright really! I know **** well everyone of you dream of killing that big buck, moose, caribou, sheep, bear and even a freaking fish... so stop the bull s**t already!!!!!!

Ya weasel I dream of killing bigger animals,but I dont feel any less of a hunter by taking a lesser one.Its not a go big or go home deal for me.I dont think there is anything wrong with wanting trophy class animals,but some people think thats the only reason for hunting and try to push their ways off on others who may hunt just for the thrill,or maybe for the meat.The younger "generation Xers" around my area are probably the worst.Unless you kill something of record book status they always wanna give the hunter that line of "he would of been a good one in a few yrs" or "why did ya wanna shoot something that small".I dont think trophy hunting in of itself is all that bad,kill what ya want to kill,its the TV prostaff propaganda wannabes that have made it the crock of BS it has turned out to be.I say to each his own,be happy for the other guy when they're successful,dont run them down because THEIR kill doesnt meet YOUR standards.

It's all Roosevelt and Hemingways fault.

Dont forget Muir.

Funny, he got me 'a Hunting.....I actually kinda followed his trail in the Kiwalik, where he came out of with a Mammoth tusk, when he came here in 1880 on the Corwin. Thats how I found the Keel to the Louisiana, that was burned escaping the Confederate Raider Shenandoa.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Another thought or two to chew on

So, as far as the "Harvest the Older Animal for the Good of the Rest," idea, don't these points mess with that a bit?

Considering the choice between the Spike on one side of the valley and the 55"er on the other, should I really take the Older?

#1) The Younger, more foolish Bull would probably be a tastier, more tender meat, right?
    Are we really meat hunters first?

#2) Also the Older wiser Bull would be, by definition, a better set of genes to pass on by mating a few more years, versus the younger potentially less wise Bull, right?

So Actually the Real True meat hunter would choose, for the long term good of the species in that area, and for the finest meat in the freezer, to take the younger one, right?

That stuff always messes with my head, It's Really True with Halibut, makes no sense whatsoever to one who knows all the details, to take a huge trophy halibut out of the water.

So, harvesting, managing the Deer/Moose, etc. stocks, does trophy hunting make as much sense as they say,...... or not?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    #2) Also the Older wiser Bull would be, by definition, a better set of genes to pass on by mating a few more years, versus the younger potentially less wise Bull, right?
    Logic would indicate that you are very correct.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast