Thread: Alaska Series Kenai Drifter

Default Alaska Series Kenai Drifter

I can't find a review of this particualr model raft. Anyone have teh Ak Series Kenai Drifter 14'? What are your opinions? Manuverability, etc.

I have one I bought at the fair last year. I've only had it in the water one time last year. When I looked at rafts one of the reasons I settled on the KD was that the floor was up out of the water. Thinking in my mind that it would be easier to handle and turn, more like a cataraft. My neighbor is an experienced rafter and was in mine on the maiden and was very surprised how easy it handled. We floated the Matanuska from Chickaloon to Kings river. I like the design because it makes sense to me. For what it is worth. Later Jon

Attachment 38541

I have owned a 14ft KD for two years. I have not had any issues. It is an easy row and handles well. I have had 7 adults on it a one time and due to the huge tubes it handled the load fine. If I remember right it is rated to 1800lbs. I know the load was pushing 1600lbs without an issue.

I bought mine to float hunt first and fish second. In hindsight it turned out the other way around. My honest opinion is this. I love my raft and have a great time in it. I know it will get me where i need to go and back. The warranty is bullet proof. The only drawback I can think of is it is a heavy raft. I have not weight it and the frame but would guess 250-275 total. The weight has not been an issue yet as I have not done a fly-in, but it might be something to consider. PM me if you have any spec questions.

We bought our KD14 this spring from Jim and have used it on the Kenai and Matanuska. We love it. Heavy ? yes, Strong and tough for a price point recreational raft? You bet. While floating the Kenai a dozen times this year, I bet you say Ak series rafts 7 out of 10 times.. that in it's self says something.

Tom

Thumbs up I have no complaints about mine.

I've had a Kenai Drifter 14 for several years. For various reasons I haven't had it in the water this year, but in previous years have used it on the Mat and Kenai. It's worked well for me. Several more experienced rafters who have rowed mine have remarked that it seems very manueverable for that type and size boat. Also seems tough and well built. Jim King has been a good guy to deal with in my experience.

Dont try to put it in a Super Cub! I did and it was not an easy task.

I had a friend that took his KD14' down Sixmile Creek a few times. I was following along and he did fine in it. Tough boat.

I've put about 500 river miles on my 14 KD in the last three seasonas since I bought it. Two of those were to western AK fly-out rivers, the others have been a variety of road accessible class I -III.

For the most part I like it. I would like it better if I had a truck and a trailer. It is a really heavy boat and takes up a lot of space rolled up under my stairs. For the road system it is pretty sweet, and it hauls a ton of stuff. For example, we took four guys and all our gear and spent a week floating Lake Creek. It was a full load for an extended trip, but we made it and really enjoyed fishing. There were a few times we had three guys with fish on at the same time while floating down