Thread: August/September for Silvers and Dollies or earlier for Reds? What to do.

Default August/September for Silvers and Dollies or earlier for Reds? What to do.

We are planning our first trip to Alaska next year and are having a hard time trying to decide when to come.
    We'd like to target Reds but being our first trip as fly fishing newbies we thought silvers would be easier to fish for.
    We'd like to avoid the combat fishing if possible. I've seen that the upper/middle Kenai has some room to get away a bit from the crowds and the guides seem to limit out on Reds before fishing for Rainbows in July.

What we'd like to do is go on a Halibut Charter then fish Salmon/Rainbows and Dollies.

We were hoping to try to catch some of those larger full colored spawning Dollies if possible.
    When are those dollies in full spawning colors?

From research it looks like we'd have to fly out for Silvers. Does anyone have any ideas for areas( several if need be) that we could do it all?
    We'll be up there for 10-14 days.

September is a great time for Silvers, Bows, and Dollies. Alot of people look forward to June and July for reds. Im begging for september, oct, nov and dec through march. Winter fishing is amazing. Anyway, I dont know about flying out for silvers but I am sure our members will be chiming in on that one. Weekday crowds on the Kenai Mon-Wed in September are not bad. You can get your silvers and chase bows and dollies.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    We were hoping to try to catch some of those larger full colored spawning Dollies if possible.
    When are those dollies in full spawning colors?

Dollies are fall spawners - The closer you get to September, the better the chance for a colorful dollie.

Gary

That's exactly what we're looking to catch.

silver salmon creek is a good option for a fly out, and i think there talon air might fly out there regularly. Just google silver salmon creek lodges, call them, they can hook you up for some awesome silver salmon fishing. Be warned fly outs are not cheap!!

The dollie in my pic was caught on the Alagnak River - not very big, but lots of color. We didn't catch many dollies - were fishing 9/7-9/15/10.
    Gary

Gary, beautiful fish

excaliber,

If you want dollies, consider a float trip in NW Alaska. Mid August to mid Sept would be the time to go. Great fishing for dollies and grayling. Caribou, bears, nice scenery and solitude is great if you go before the hunters show up in early Sept. Basic logistics, fly commercial to Kotzebue then take a bush flight up to the river. Several rivers to choose from, done three of them myself. Dollies in the 5-10 lb range are a given. Got my biggest 2 years ago, a 14 pounder. You could spend 6-7 days on a float trip up north, then finish off your trip with 5 days on the Kenai. Timing would be good for a guided drift boat on the Upper Kenai for bows. A motor boat on the Middle Kenai for big bows and silvers. Alaska Troutfitters in Cooper Landing is a reputable fly shop and guide service for the Upper Kenai. They have a good website as well. Timing not so good for halibut. However, this would make for a kick ass first trip to Alaska in my opinion. Send me a PM if this is of interest to you.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Try that pm again man. My pm box was full and I just cleaned some out when it came to my attention.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

What about Kodiak? Lots of silvers, lots of dollies, and a few bows ands steelies. All this for coming here in September. Stay at a B&B and rent a car and fish all the road system rivers. Do a week of that and week at a lodge and it sounds like the perfect trip.

If you are looking for a flyout for rainbows and silvers, I'd suggest Crystal Creek Lodge - http://crystalcreeklodge.com. They are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of working for, and have an amazing lodge... Not to mention world class trophy fishing.
    Tell them Dustin Fast sent you.

As for reds, if you chose to target them, you won't be fishing for them in the typical fly-fishing fashion... Look up 'Sockeye Flip' for info on how to fish for reds before deciding if that is something you want to invest your money on... I usually pass on it except to put a few fish in the freezer.

Hope that helps!