Thread: I need some help choosing ammo

Default I need some help choosing ammo

I just bought a 30-06 and I want to use hornady 165 gr ammo to HUNT with.any tips on another cheap 165 gr ammo I can sight my rifle in with so that I don't have to spend 40 dollars on a box of ammo to shoot at the range? Any info much appreciated thanks

Are you set on 165 grain? I have never bought that round for my 30-06. I always buy 180 grain, and can pick up boxes of Core-Lok or Federal for about $18 a box at Fred's, Wal-Mart, Sportsman's, and occasionally Mt. View Sports (when they have it in). That is about the cheapest way to go for shooting at the range on a budget. Even if you want to hunt with 165, you might be able to shoot 180 for practice so that you can get used to the rifle, then sight it in with 165. Depends on how many rounds you plan to shoot I suppose.

With that said, I almost choked when I bought my Noslers this year for hunting at $53 a box.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Anything should get you close but honestly you will need to fine tune it with your hunting load. I use the green box rem core lokt to rough in my rifles when possible since it is cheap but there will be a difference in POI between most different rounds. My cousin missed a good sized black bear because he failed to verify his hunting loads. In his case he was using a hot 45-70 load for hunting and sighted in with a cheap ammo at the low pressure rated for old (non guide gun) rifles. The difference in POI could be measured in FEET in his case!!

Sight that rifle in with the ammo you are planning to hunt with.

Using quality, consistant ammo for practise and then hunting will give you the results you need. You dont know how much deviation your going to experiance when you swich and you would be basicly hunting with a rifle that is NOT sighted in.

Stick with the same ammo, same brand, same weight no matter what they are, as long as you get results. With an accurate rifle/ammo combo, you wont be bangin' off lotsa ammo anyway,you will be knock'n things over.......

40$ a box, thats average....get an odd magnum rd...~~LOL!!~~getting into reloading is a great idea, you can do 'em one at a time with an inexpensive Lee Loader. 30-06 is an AWSOME round to load up too....so many choices....
    I solved that with a couple dozen cases of 7,62X54R, 62$ an 800 rnd case.....back before the i prices hit roof.......never regretted that investment....so much Death to do yet....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    you will need to fine tune it with your hunting load

Without question the only advice you need on the subject. Far more variables than just bullet weight to consider. You want maximum accuracy, work up a load custom tailored for your rifle and shoot the piss out of it. Know what a round out of a cold barrel does compared to your third shot. Know exactly how a specific round performs in the gun. Handrolling will give a much more accurate round in most all cases.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

What are you hunting?

I ask because I loaned my 30-06 to my younger brother last year and he killed an elk with a 165 grain core-lokt. $15/box

Also, I suggest you pay a few extra bucks at a range where they help you sight it in (if it's available in fairbanks). It will save you a couple of boxes of ammo.

Sounds like a good reason to get into reloading. If you don't, find a friend that is and buy the dies, powder, bullets, primers and get him to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    What are you hunting?

I ask because I loaned my 30-06 to my younger brother last year and he killed an elk with a 165 grain core-lokt. $15/box

Also, I suggest you pay a few extra bucks at a range where they help you sight it in (if it's available in fairbanks). It will save you a couple of boxes of ammo.
    I agree with scott rn, what is wrong with Remington core lokt? I have used them for many years but I did switch to Nosler Partitions recently. If you sight in with core lokts, why not use them to hunt with? 180 grain should be good for elk, moose. I might go with something else on grizz, no experience there yet. But to your original question, using the same bullet weight of different brands should get you close but absolutely shoot your hunting load at the range also. Good luck

Two different ideas pitched here on the thread. For sure sight in before you hunt with what you are hunting with. I shoot a .300 win mag. Good ammo is upwards of $50 per box. I have been able to find cheap stuff on sale in the teens. That is good for just going to the range and having fun, getting used to shooting (for those that don't shoot thousands of rounds per year), etc.

Typically I'll shoot a few boxes like this and then use about 1/2 of a box to get zeroed with my hunting round.

Every now and then Fred Meyer will mail out a coupon for 10 (or 20) percent off ammo. It's always the Federal (blue box) stuff. Good deal in my opinion. And depending on what you're doing, that stuff will work for your hunt too. The guy that lives across the street from me has the same caliber as I do and he uses the Federal blue box for black bear and deer every year.

"Stick with the same ammo, same brand, same weight no matter what they are, as long as you get results."

More than once I've had POI change with same bullet and brand but a different LOT NUMBER. What a pita. Bought some dies.

I practice with Federal or Remington cheapy stuff like Corelocks and have a couple of boxes of Federal Nosler 180gr Partitions I hunt with and that is the round the rifle is set to zero with.
    When I practice with the cheaper stuff I don't care where it lands on paper as long as the rounds group well because big groups tell me something is either loose or the barrel needs cleaning.
    I sight in 2" high at 100 yards, unless I am knowingly going to be shooting under 175 yards, then I sight in to be dead on at 100 yards with the 180gr Noslers.

So in a nutshell, I shoot one or two rounds of the hunting ammo each year to verify zero and put the box away and can get 5 or 6 years out of a box.

I usually clean the gun at the range after a shooting session but if it is the session before the hunt I may run one round down the barrel after I clean the gun if that particular gun has a tendency to shoot the first round from a cold, clean barrel an inch or more from where the rest of the rounds group from a barrel after a shot or two.

Exact same routine I use, PRDATR- you're a pretty smart guy!

I also agree with PRDATR except that, for some load/rifle combinations, rather than store and transport a dirty barrel for even a short time, I make a special point of rechecking zero on arrival at camp and then don't clean until the shooting for the trip is over. Fortunately the few combinations that have needed a fouling shot have rarely been good hunting choices anyway.

Oh, and something he said but didn't really emphasize: don't touch your scope adjustments for the cheapo practice stuff! You should know roughly where it hits WRT your good load and you just don't want to mess with a good zero once it's set. Saves a lot of ammo in camp.

Use NP or failsafe..