Thread: West Marine RU260 inflatable dinghy on sale for $750 next week. Down from $930 ish

Default West Marine RU260 inflatable dinghy on sale for $750 next week. Down from $930 ish

Was at West Marine today getting stuff to refurbish an old dinghy I'd aquired, I had about 300 bucks worth of liquid rubber, cleaning stuff, and topcoat in my basket when I got to talking to the sales lady and she mentioned that their 8.5 foot flat slat-bottom 260 dinghy was going on sale next week for only $749.

I looked at the basket of stuff and thought about the work involved in refurbing the old PVC quicksilver dinghy, and then looked at the new clean one on their showroom floor and said "Sold! I'll take one"

When I offered to pay for it now and have them hold it she simply sold to me at the sale price and I took it home.

I needed lightweight and its only 51lbs, its a 1100 decitex PVC coated polyester boat made by Zodiac for West Marine.

In my inexpert opinion its a decent dinghy. And for $750 its hard to beat. PVC will eventually degrade in the sun, but we dont exacly live in the tropics either, and you can get a cover.

Think I might paint the bottom with liquid rubber, lotsa sharp rocks in PWS.
    dink.jpg
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Sweet score!

West Marine has always done me right in the customer service dept.
    Afflicted by condition human

I have had the same RU260 for about 4 years and it has done me good.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have had the same RU260 for about 4 years and it has done me good.
    Great! Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the long term viability of it - do you leave yours on top all the time or roll it up and store it?
    "Dominion"

I have the same dinghy. Very happy with it. Still need to be careful as you go ashore to avoid cuts/tears from barnacles or rocks.

I inflate it and leave it on the roof for the season, roll and store during the winter.

With my wife and I, a bear, and our packs/weapons, we can still get on step with our little 4-hp outboard. With only one person, it flat flies!

Good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I have the same dinghy. Very happy with it. Still need to be careful as you go ashore to avoid cuts/tears from barnacles or rocks.
    Thanks Mort, more good info. On my to-do list while the weather is nice is to paint the underside with liquid rubber, it'll help keep rocks from cutting it, and it'll help with the sun from fading/degrading the PVC. I store it upside down on the cabin roof.

That other dinghy I'd aquired for a short bit impressed me with just how much the sun can degrade PVC dinghys.

I sure do like the lightness of it, 51lbs makes it easy to get it back up to the roof.
    "Dominion"