Thread: any silvers in the valley or where to catch some grayling?

Default any silvers in the valley or where to catch some grayling?

My family and I are staying in chugiak until the 7th and we were wondering if there is anywhere to catch any grayling in the area since it seems like the silvers are done. we have vibrax and pixies with single hook set ups. any help would be very much appreciated!
    thanks,
    andy

I'm not sure where, but I'm sure you'll find a few more silvers coming in. I think you're a bit behind the tide though, and will likely pick up more dark fish than bright. I fished Montana the day before yesterday, caught 4 fish ...2 dark chum, 1 large but dark and aged silver, and one big rainbow trout that was so beautiful it should've been in a magazine (it's catch-n-release at that spot though). From what I could see, the fishing was definitely turning to the slow side and the only silver that I saw taken home was one that I wouldn't have taken home ...too dark. That said, the runs generally do run into late September, but the odds of picking up nice fresh/bright fish diminishes and you have to pay your dues in time to get a chance to take one home. I think I'm done with salmon for the year (since I'm not going to make it to Valdez). Time to switch to trout and char...

Brian

If I was looking to catch some grayling in the Valley, I would head for the Sheep Creek slough.
    Gary

thanks for the advice guys i tried montana 2 days ago and came to the same conclusion. I would really like to catch something while were here but its not looking good. Will rainbows,char hit vibrax or pixies and where on earth could i find some within an hour or so from chugiak?
    I would so love to prove to my wife that fishing isnt a waste of time! Ha!
    MANY THANKS FOR ANY FORTHCOMING ADVICE,
    Andy

If you find the silvers, pinks, and chums that are already spawned out up on the Parks streams, the best way to catch those trout and grayling is on a bead with a flyrod. Fish the bead pegged an inch above the hook. Have enough weight on your line so that you are ticking the bottom. cast right behind the spawning salmon and let the egg pattern drift down stream. The bows will be following behind the salmon. 2 weeks ago fished Sheep Creek downstream of the bridge and caught some nice bows. Used 8mm apricot/pearl beads, behind chums and pinks. There are also the weekend only fisheries around Wasilla(Sat,Sun, Mon 6 am-6pm) that you might be able to get into some silvers at. Fish Creek is off of Knik Goose Bay Road out of Wasilla. Fish a few hours before tide and a few hours after, I fish a little downstream of the bridge and polarized glasses are a must to spot fish. Don't know how good the fishing will be, but it is a closeby option. You can get into some silvers on vibrax down in the tidal zone, but the best way to catch silvers there is to spot and flip with a size 3 hook with yarn tied above it, and weight to get the hook/yarn down. You'll have to floss them,(put it right in there mouth)