Thread: Tips on shooting Goats

Default Tips on shooting Goats

I have often read about how hard goats are to put down quickly. I've heard of several solid hits with a 375 h&h and the goat showing no sign of being hit. It sounds like the goat hasn't read about shock and killing power. What is the strategy for bullet placement? Almost sounds to me like first one thru the heart/lungs and then go for the shoulder to break bones to help put em down faster. Thanks for your thoughts and experiences. Tony

The two goats that I have shot were both heart/lung shots with a 338, 210 Nosler Partitions. The first goat ran a few feet swayed and fell over, the second dropped instantly.

its different everytime, shoot them with whatever you've got, load heavey for the caliber that will put that in your favor and take good shots, try to get shoulder and vitals in the same shot, but every situation will be different. some die fast, some die hard...never know till you pull the trigger.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Placement

I've shot 5 goats and they've all gone down with one shot except for the last years Billy which I shot in the knee with the 1st shot (second shot anchored him). I've read those stories also and I believe if you put your first shot in the boiler room, it's lights out.

Default boiler room

I think probably the most important thing is "WHERE" is the goat located before the shot. Where will they fall? The first goat I shot was a big billy in Southeast. I was shooting an 8mm Mag. Hit it and the **** thing was on an edge and jumped off out of sight! My buddy shot the other billy and anchored it. We went over to his and then to mine, but when we got to the bottom where the goat should have been all we found was a depression in the gravel with blood and hair! We slowly walked around the face of the mountain and found the billy bedded down under a small tree and bloody. One more shot and he was anchored, but rolled about 100 yards which was the demise of one of the horns. These were both LARGE billies going 9 1/2" +. Shot another the was on the edge of a ledge that I knew I could get to the bottom on and when I shot it at 10 yards, it just fell down and landed on the ledge about 30 feet below. Goat country can be NASTY! Got caught up on the side of a mountain in the dark once. Thank goodness the partner had a head lamp. Took 4 hours of feeling in the dark to get off that mountain. Ran into drop offs, rolling rocks. Be PREPARED! The goat hunt described above was the HARDEST one day hunt I have ever done. GOATS are BIG animals!

I have only shot one billy. He took two steps and fell over. 1 shot, 175-ish yards, Fed Prem 165 gr TBBC in 30.06.

He was downhill and quartering away. The bullet penetrated nearly the entire body cavity--from high/back on ribcage(my POA) to the offside "armpit". The bullet mushroomed beautifully but I lost it on the hike out.

I agree with the others in the importance of bullet placement, and with goats especially, location at the time of the shot since in much of their range they frequent genuinely dangerous country.

In general I wouldn't shoot an animal in a place where I couldn't recover him from.

try & not do this,for obvious reasons,LOL! Click here->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhqbV0U47Zo

Thumbs down what a couple of morons!!!

c'mon, what an idiotic video.
    so he made a long shot...big deal.
    my 6 year old came over to watch the vid...even he at his tender age said it was a dumb place to shoot a goat.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Angry the great white hunter strikes again

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    c'mon, what an idiotic video.
    so he made a long shot...big deal.
    my 6 year old came over to watch the vid...even he at his tender age said it was a dumb place to shoot a goat.
    agree 100%,saw this on another thread here and was surprised no one had much to say about it,stuff like this only gives the bunny huggers more ammo