Thread: 3 Sep Palmer report

Default 3 Sep Palmer report

Duck Hunting 2010-3sep 010.JPG
    Today was allot different then yester day. No wind and warm by quitting time 1100 am it was almost 65+ seen only 1 flock of ducks that had more than 10. Almost all singles were coming in. We heard a flock of Specks out at the inlet. We finished with 1 Canada 2 Mallards, Widgeon and a teal. Will chill out this weekend with this warm spell, not my cup of tea.

We had no luck on at the Hay Flats today. Only saw one flock over 10(probably the same one you saw). Got 3 mallards and thats it. Any input on what the weekend might be like?

The theory is that everyday is different but it is in the 60s+ in Fairbanks. Allot of folks will be out as well due to the opener being Wed. I think its a good time just tom relax.

Im a fairly new Duck Hunter in Alaska. Hunted South Dakota all my life before I came here but Alaska is a different beast. Got screwed on opening day by some late comers who set up on both sides of us, still got a few though. Ducks up here more active in colder weather with a lower ceiling?

I saw you put in at mud lake off of maud road this after noon. hopefully you and the boy get some out there in the heat.

not much was moving the whole time I was out there paddling around with my dead motor.

Quote Originally Posted by CRCardinal View Post
    Ducks up here more active in colder weather with a lower ceiling?
    yes usually. there is a lot of habitat for them and if there is nothing to push them around they won't move much if they are well fed.

keep in mind that we tend to get some huge storms spun off from the tropics in the fall and that pushes the local birds out some times. After a typhoon this place can be duck free for a couple of weeks until it freezes up north.