Thread: marine grade corrosion resistance...???

Default marine grade corrosion resistance...???

I was on a boat based hunt when we got hammered with salt spray. Sadly I had forgotten to take any oil. In a pinch I used some engine fogging oil as protectant on my gun... It worked amazingly well... Lasted longer and provided better protection than anything I had used before.

Anyone else ever used fogging oil like this?

Any reason why I shouldn't do it again???

I am confident we've been through this before, but "gun oil" is not a particularly good protectant. It works if it is well maintained, but there other better suited alternatives. I've not used fogging oil for my firearms, but I suspect that so long as it does not affect the finish of the stock it is very suitable. I cannot think of any reason why you shouldn't continue its use except to use a better protectant (ATF comes to mind).
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Default atf?

automatic transmission fluid??? Or is something else...?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    automatic transmission fluid??? Or is something else...?

thanks
    You got it. For corrosion resistance it's about as good as it gets IMO. Can't like the way it smells, but a little goes a long way.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'll have to try the fogger. ALL my hunting is around the salt, and I've never found an oil that I completely trust for long days.

Gotta say the very best I've found so far isn't an oil at all. I just coat all metal with paste wax. From what I can see, it holds up better to rubbing and abrasion over the course of a day, not something that any of the oils can claim.

Default Will try again...

Well as with most things sometimes the greatest invention is accidental. I was in bind and would have done anything... Actually I did - Before another boater came along w/ the engine fogging oil I was scraping by using chap stick and had even raided the triple antibiotic ointment from my first aid kit. I was in dire conditions...

Anyway, I ended up using a spray of fogging oil and it stopped the rust and stopped additional corrosion.

I'm heading out again in Oct/Nov for a couple of weeks. I will go prepared this time but I will also put the fogging oil through a more thorough test. Maybe I've stumbled onto to something...

And for info - all my guns are synthetic stocks and either stainless or teflon. However, this fall I will be taking a "blued" remington 870 for some waterfowl. If any gun were to have issues this will be it... I will let you know how it works...

Winmag

EEZOX works really well. Like BrownBear I have also used a good paste wax (automotive type). I have an older Remington 700 I bought back in about 1990 when they first came out with a SS/ Synthetic stocked model and have used Turtle Wax Chrome polish on it and it cleans it up very well.

I'm telling you guys, especially you guys who spend time around the salt. Teflon is THE WAY to go. You need to call Lee at blackicecoatings.com. Talk to him about it. You will not be disappointed. I've posted it many times cause I just can't say enough great things about his work. As always, a standing invitation to see his work first hand. I'm in Palmer if you're interested...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Teflon if you have the $$ and a place to get it done.

I hunt in the ocean myself, so do my kids as well, also in the cold,(sweating cold) and moisture in the small places can be a rusty pain. I simple paint two or three layers of Matte Black or Matte Red Rustoleum spray paint.

Works great, and I can touch it up anytime, the blue remains perfect.
    Mine are 'work' guns, I dont care what they look like, I care that they are maintained and rust free.

I would even pain over fresh Teflon and sleep better at night
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default teflon

Of the two guns that I had the issue with - One is stainless the other teflon...

I did not have the teflon put on... I got the gun that way. It is awesome but over time the little nicks and scrapes that you can't even see with the naked eye "pop" off when they rust. I can't see spending the money a second time. And the teflon does not cover the scope mounts and sling swivels...

My guns get "rode hard and put up wet"... At least for the week or two while in the field... They are tools and their character grows with every trip.

The stainless gun had all sorts of issues... Most was cosmetic however on day 4 we realized it's trigger would not release the firing pin. Luckily we learned this prior to being 50 yds from our bear. I was get it working but swore that I will NEVER AGAIN forget some form of lube/oil... It was easily the worst and nearly a catastrophic mistakes...

I think I've found what I'm looking for... I am going to experiment with the fogging oil vs "CLP" and may even take a small bottle of ATF. I need a way to keep the guns functional and free from rust - INSIDE and OUT...

I'll second the ATF advice. I switched to using Amsoil synthetic ATF for running my AR-15 wet and I use it for the rails on my pump guns and slides on my pistols. I also wipe everything down with it when I'm out on a hunt and it works amazingly well. Fogging oil makes sense as it's designed to be sprayed in engine cylinders when an engine is in storage to keep the walls from rusting.
    Good use of materials on hand to solve a problem!

Mountaintrekker

winmag,
    Do you know who did the teflon? I would be very surprised if Lee did it and it is popping off like that. He does the scope mount and rings and also does swivels. If it's metal, I have him coat it.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Default Fairly certain...

I'm nearly sure LEE did NOT do the work. It's an older gun and I do not know it's full history. When I obtained it I had a smith in Palmer give it the once over to correct a few problems... It is a Rem 700 in .375 H&H and is quite possibly one of my best shooters. The gun is a real piece of art. The smith suggested it was Remington custom shop work but we never confirmed this...

Anyway, I can NOT speak for LEE's work but have no doubt it's quality... I'm heading back to Kodiak in October and plan to put several guns through their paces and see what I can prove or disprove about some of the suggestions and recommendations...

For the best test, introduce your guns to salt spray and splashing in a skiff first thing in the morning, then hunt with them all day. Get back to camp too late (or not at all) to clean them until the next day or so.

Try Fluid Film. You can get it at a John Deere dealer.
    PROUD TO BE A VETERAN