Thread: Did you lose shrimp pots in McClure Bay in PWS?

Default Did you lose shrimp pots in McClure Bay in PWS?

If you lost shrimp pots in McClure Bay in PWS on 8/28/2010, call the State Troopers as they will have your gear. The State Troopers came into McClure Bay and pulled all strings of gear that did not have a properly marked bouy. On Saturday morning there were roughly a dozen bouys for shrimping and after the State Troopers made their pass through the bay there were two bouys left.

The fine for not having your bouys marked as the regulations state is $110 per bouy. So for the rest of you, make sure your bouys are marked properly.

I was told it's the Tropper Office in Girdwood that covers that area? That where I reported mine missing and was told to call there???

Yep, the Girdwood office handles the Whittier side of PWS. We had the troopers pull along side our boat at Pigot Bay last weekend. They had at least 8 pots and a couple bouies on their deck that I noticed while showing our fishing licenses and safety equipment.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Wonder what people do wrong to get the troopers to take them? Not to hard to mark the bouy and I've always wondered if they are pulling to see the pot and bait are they careful to put back down so set will not float away?

Wonder what people do wrong to get the troopers to take them? Not to hard to mark the bouy and I've always wondered if they are pulling to see the pot and bait are they careful to put back down so set will not float away?
    The shrimpers did not have all the required information on the bouy - Initial of first name, last name, address, boat name or boat regiatration number on the bouy attached to the line going to the shrimp pot. The troopers were not checking the pot and bait, only the bouy markings. The trooppers pulled up to a bouy, checked to see if it is marked exactly correct, if not then pulled the gear and stacked on the deck of their boat.

I'm surprised at how many buoys I see that have no markings whatsoever. I don't fault the troopers for pulling those pots. The only fault lies with the person who put out the pots, in my opinion.

And of course they toss the shrimp back!