Thread: Just Got back from the Brooks

Default Just Got back from the Brooks

Here's to a slow start of trying to get pic's loaded onto the computer. First attemp see if the pic shows before I go into detail.

P1000568.jpg

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's a BEAUTY!!!!!

Still working on trying to get pic's downloaded, computer is loaded with to much picture %@^t. Hang in there!!

Holy smokes that is a beauty!! More pictures and a story is always enjoyed. Thanks

Great Ram! Even better once I got the stupid advertisement out of the way!

Here is another one, Computer is not loading all of the picture's veiwable.

P1000557.jpg

It came and went in the blink of an eye, as usual a year in the planning. Getting the list of gear to put together , hours of reading over peoples past hunt on here and 10,000 clicks on the gear forum. From buying a pack suitable to carry everthing to clothes, boots, and the top 10 lightest's things to bring.
    I will have to stay that pretty much everthing I brought with me got used.

This was by far the best and toughess hunt I have ever had. I seen country I only dreamed of seeing and pushed myself to new limits, mainly climbing and treversing country I couldn't belive animals walked on. Hours upon hours of walking and planning every foot step. It seemed after each mountain climbed I became more confident on walking lose shale and steep cliffs. If possiable.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Wow, that is an absolutely fantastic ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was it a solo hunt?

WOW VERY NICE MAN!!! Was this a solo?

I wish, No it was guided.Unforunately I'm not a resident

In the begining of the hunt I asked my guide have you ever had some body hit a sheep in the horns, No not yet. After spotting the band of rams from High on the next ridge we started to try to get a closer look. After climbing to the ridge above the band of rams we set up the spotting scope and looked them over. At first there were mostly young rams and a couple sub-legal rams, 7 altogether,some were lying with their heads down and some were feeding as they were still very far down the mountain, even through the spotter it was hard for me to see their horns. So we dropped back down and side hilled around to try to get closer, it seemed with every step the wind changed direction and I woundered how we were going to pull this off.

We slowly peeped over the ridge, they hadn't moved and for the first time in five days I was looking at rams that were not miles away. It was so surreal, Something I had dreamed about was actualy only 600 yards away.

The top ram that looked small from farther away, turned out to the largest in the Band. We watched as they started to feed down the mountain. We quickly put together a game plan, dropping back down once again.

As we were creeping around to a small rock pile 2 young rams that we never saw busted us in the open. They watched us as we dove behind the rock pile, then turning to run back across the hillside.I stayed low following my guide not knowing the 2 youg rams ran away from the others that were below and still feeding.

After crawling another 75 yards or so, we slowly peeped over the edge. My guide quickly ducked back down and wispered there close. The blood started pumping and as he ranged them he wispered back to me 300yards.

Now I'm hearing my own heartbeat Wholey smokes they are close! He set the spotter up and he said what do you think of that one. As I slowly peeped through the spotter here stood this beautiful full curl ram LOOKING RIGHT AT US!!! I said OH YAAAAAAAA!!!

I creeped alittle closer trying to clear the brush. Trying to use the spotters tri-pod for a rest I was unable to stay still enough, I dropped down belly craweled a little closer, the whole time the Big Ram was glued to us. Getting set up with a firm rest I settled in and waited for 2 small rams to feed out of the way. In that time watching the ram through my scope I said to myself this is not really happening.Here stands a DALL SHEEP in my scope. Trying to clam my nerves I said I'm only playing Cabela's Big Game Hunter it's not real!!

Just then the 2 rams cleared my fire. Off with the safty and Boom. All of a sudden he turns and starts running, I couldn't belive it I missed. I quickly jack in another round spotting the ram back in the center of my scope I took aim and fired. This time it hit its mark, The ram stood up on its hind legs as the report of the hit echoed back to us.

After celerbrating, I walked down to my sheep, finding him only 40yards below were he fell.
    P1000598.jpg
    Walking up to the ram I quickly noticed that I hadn't missed with the first shot. It went high and Hit right through the horn
    Attachment 38498P1000552.jpg

Awesome hunt New Jersey. Congrats on your ram, you done good. I know others that have characterized their rams horns as well with a little lead, so don't feel bad.

Thanks for the write up and pictures!

Congrats,
    What did it measure???

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    Congrats,
    What did it measure???
    P1000593.jpg
    He measured just shy of 38 inchs and was 2 1/2 inches past full curl and aged at 9 1/2. Didn't get a base measurment yet

Charterboat Operator

What a beast! Congradulations!

He's a beauty! These amazing critters deserve much respect. Congrats!!

Congrats!!! Beautiful sheep!

Congrats! Nice sheep. I just did my first dall sheep hunt this season in the Chugach. You captured the experience well, AK is not easy on us east coast boys, but we do OK for flatlanders

Thanks everybody, Congrat's to all of you who were able to get out this year, And a Bigger thanks to our Troops who were unable to.
    Hunter