Thread: Rl-17

Default Rl-17

Anyone using it?
    I picked up a Lb of it yesterday to try out in my .280 loads, as I'm not happy with Rl-19 and 22 in mine. My rifle has a 24" barrel, and I can load the cartridges quite a bit longer than COAL, and I think that the 17 might be able to maximise the potential of this particular rifle.
    I finally bought a chrony, and while out at the range yesterday, I was using max loads from the Nosler book, with both 19 and 22, and getting velocities more than 200 FPS less than published, while my factory loads where pretty much bang on published velocities.
    Hmmmm. I'm thinking its my longer than standard COAL thats reducing my pressures.
    Standard COAL is 3.330, while in my 160 loads, I can use a 3.385 COAL and be off the lands .030". The factory loads are quite a bit shorter than 3.330".
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Worked up some RL-17 loads for the .280R.
    3.380 COAL
    160 AB
    49.5gr-~2705
    50.5gr-~2725
    51.5gr-~2816 Alliant load for a 160 gr Speer BTSP
    52.5gr-~2911
    None of the above loads exhibted any pressure signs, and were all in the same 3" group.
    Also shot some RL-22 loads for the same rifle, same bullet, COAL, and the best I could get was 2761 out of 56 grains of RL-22. The 56 grain load had significantly more felt recoil than the max RL-17 load.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Anyone using it?
    I picked up a Lb of it yesterday to try out in my .280 loads, as I'm not happy with Rl-19 and 22 in mine. My rifle has a 24" barrel, and I can load the cartridges quite a bit longer than COAL, and I think that the 17 might be able to maximise the potential of this particular rifle.
    I finally bought a chrony, and while out at the range yesterday, I was using max loads from the Nosler book, with both 19 and 22, and getting velocities more than 200 FPS less than published, while my factory loads where pretty much bang on published velocities.
    Hmmmm. I'm thinking its my longer than standard COAL thats reducing my pressures.
    Standard COAL is 3.330, while in my 160 loads, I can use a 3.385 COAL and be off the lands .030". The factory loads are quite a bit shorter than 3.330".
    It could be, (COAL, does decrease pressure.) but I dunno if the COAL would make that much diffference. (200 fps)

Since, your Factory Loads are up to the velocity range you'd expect, I'd be inclined to blame the data.

Rather, than switch powder, now that you have the Chrono, you could up the chrg to bring the velocity up to the data.

Barring no other indicators, I think that's what I'd do.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.