Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: King Goes Float Hunting or There And Back Again by kingfisherktn

I have enjoyed the Story of your adventure. It brings back memories of the float trip that I did 15 years ago with my Dad and best friend. We are looking in to doiing another float in 2014 but My Dad passed away 10 years ago in Petersburg so I have lost my connection in Alaska. We are thinking of using a consultant to help orginaize the trip since we are all from Colorado. Is it worth the extra money. I don't want to be on top of somebody else when I hunt. I called one of the biologist and didn't get much input from them. I was considering Prestine ventures or Michael Strahan. Any thoughts?? Look forward to your next hunting experince.

Catch22:

Based on my lack of float experience and never had been in the northern regions of this great state we felt it would increase our chances of a great float trip and hunt if we went with a planner, so yes, it was most assuredly a benefit for us to get a planner on board.

As you read in our story we chose Michael Strahan for our planner and he provided an excellent job for us and I would highly recommend his services. If you have any specific questions let me know.

king

I am sure I will have many question along the way. That is why I am starting early. What all does Michael Strahan take care of? I read you had to switch last minute and go with a different service? How would you recomend dealing with that or avoiding it if possible. Did you guys put together your own list of what to take for personal gear. I have a list from 15 years ago but would be open to suggestions. Did you talk to any Biologists or did Strahan take care of that. Is there anything you would avoid?

Thanks for the input. catch

We didn't switch to a different service but had to switch to a new river because the air service said they wouldn't put anymore parties on the 1st river we had chosen to float. Not sure how you would avoid that problem except to pick a river as soon as possible and get your reservations with the air carrier right away. Michael did give us a recommended gear list which was very helpful and we did follow it closely. We did talk with the local (for that area) biologist and so did Strahan and I would suggest you talk to them also. Please contact Strahan about what he will provide in his service because I'm sure after a couple of years I would miss something.

What would I avoid? I would not delay in my decisions. Even though we started a year before we made the trip we found in the case of the river we 1st wanted to float (as I mentioned above) we had to make a different choice because we hadn't made reservations with air service soon enough. Also make sure your partners are signed on soon enough with commitment money. Someone backing out at the last minute because they don't have the funds can ruin your whole trip.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    We didn't switch to a different service but had to switch to a new river because the air service said they wouldn't put anymore parties on the 1st river we had chosen to float. Not sure how you would avoid that problem except to pick a river as soon as possible and get your reservations with the air carrier right away. Michael did give us a recommended gear list which was very helpful and we did follow it closely. We did talk with the local (for that area) biologist and so did Strahan and I would suggest you talk to them also. Please contact Strahan about what he will provide in his service because I'm sure after a couple of years I would miss something.

What would I avoid? I would not delay in my decisions. Even though we started a year before we made the trip we found in the case of the river we 1st wanted to float (as I mentioned above) we had to make a different choice because we hadn't made reservations with air service soon enough. Also make sure your partners are signed on soon enough with commitment money. Someone backing out at the last minute because they don't have the funds can ruin your whole trip.

Good luck.

King: Truer words have never been spoken! I have had my deposit in for 2013 for a long time and I use the same service every year. Most of the transporters will take a deposit for 2014 and agree to refund your money if you do not draw a tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I am sure I will have many question along the way. That is why I am starting early. What all does Michael Strahan take care of? I read you had to switch last minute and go with a different service? How would you recomend dealing with that or avoiding it if possible. Did you guys put together your own list of what to take for personal gear. I have a list from 15 years ago but would be open to suggestions. Did you talk to any Biologists or did Strahan take care of that. Is there anything you would avoid?

Thanks for the input. catch
    Thought I would jump in here if I may. I have posted a somewhat complete list of what I do, here on Outdoors Directory AT THIS LINK. I say "somewhat complete" because each hunt is different, and requires different things. Another way to put it is that I work directly with you from the beginning to the end of your hunt. No questions are off limits, I hold no secrets back, and you have complete access to me and to whatever information I have. I do prefer my hunters to be actively involved in the planning process (most of them prefer that as well), and at the end of a typical phone call we will both have some assignments to complete before our next call. To my knowledge, I am the only hunt planner who offers this level of service.

If you are interested in doing this on your own, or if you need further information in terms of what I could do with you, you might check out our Hunt Planning Page. It contains a ton of detailed information that will be of use to you in the planning process. Don't overlook the links to the left-hand side of those pages, as they contain all the content in the section.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself or guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Addresses
    http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    https://akoutdoorsuniversity.com
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the information, I will probably be in touch after the Archery season. I am guiding My Boss in a trophy area for Elk and spending most of my efforts on getting him a 350 class bull. Trail cams, blinds, Tree stands, scouting etc.
    Thanks again for the input. Catch22

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Thanks for the information, I will probably be in touch after the Archery season. I am guiding My Boss in a trophy area for Elk and spending most of my efforts on getting him a 350 class bull. Trail cams, blinds, Tree stands, scouting etc.
    Thanks again for the input. Catch22

Curious, did you make any plans?

Man, this was a heck of a story and definitely a dream hunt. I can only hope to be able to do something like this in the future. Have you done anymore float hunts since?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    Man, this was a heck of a story and definitely a dream hunt. I can only hope to be able to do something like this in the future. Have you done anymore float hunts since?
    Andy, haven't taken the opportunity to do another float hunt yet. Logistics haven't worked out. Hopefully we are looking at next year or the following year.

Bringing this one back up to the top because it is such a great read!

And excited because I just booked flights for a 2013 float hunt with my dad and brother. Spent a lot of time fishing and skiing in AK, but this will be our first hunt. Looking forward to having even a 1/4 of the success you experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by eshunt View Post

And excited because I just booked flights for a 2013 float hunt with my dad and brother. Spent a lot of time fishing and skiing in AK, but this will be our first hunt. Looking forward to having even a 1/4 of the success you experienced.

Glad to hear of your preparations and will be looking forwards to your successful float hunt report with pics.

Doesn't Look like we will be able to afford to go. Thanks for the information. Catch22

Sorry to hear that.........

Quote Originally Posted by eshunt View Post

Glad to see your plan finally came to fruition, you sure had a great trip.

Bump to the top.
    Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Epic trip, thanks for dredging it up.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Epic trip, thanks for dredging it up.
    Thanks Steve. Thought it might be good timing with float hunting on a lot of peopleís agenda.

BTT........

Bump......

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516