Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **********, I used your campsite

Default **********, I used your campsite

4 years ago, on August 6th 2006 at 2:30 in the afternoon, you bought 75 bucks worth of diesel fuel at the Holiday Station just off the Seward on Tudor in Anchorage, paying $2.81/gallon for it.

You drove hundreds of miles after that, parked your vehicle, and then travelled 21 miles by ATV or horse up a hard rock canyon to a wonderfully beautiful campsite, just off in the greenery next to the intersection of two mid sized hard rock canyons. You saw many sheep up in at the gravel line of most all the mountains, and quite likely saw bear sign. Pretty likely the caribou were thick in there too.

Now how would I know all this?

Because you left your Holiday receipt on the ground at that campsite, and for some dumb reason they make their receipts so weather-hardy that 4+ years later they're still in one piece and readable. 4 fulll winters the snows covered it, endless rains pelted it, and lots of hard sunshine too.

I used your campsite ***********. I didn't leave anything behind though, except some pressed down grass in places.
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-03-2010 at 09:27.

2.81$ a gallon..........4 years ago seem so longs ago........

Thems the "Good ol' Days" in fuel prices.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Coolest post I've seen in a while. Always interesting to know who has gone before you. Makes you wonder what they saw and what they did. Cool stuff. (not that I condone littering)

PS- Thanks for ruining season 4 of prison break for me... I'm watching it on netflix now

that some CSI stuff right there,

Wow, that is pretty neat, thats some durable stuff they make them receipts out of! 2.81! What a "steal" it seems that was.

It's a stretch, but it's possible that **********didn't actually throw down that receipt as litter. Maybe it simply dropped out. That's it...he was probably just getting ready to...umm...err....ahh...

okay....forget about it.
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-03-2010 at 09:27. Reason: Names removed

*******= "********"

hmmm

ha ha...

Great post Familyman. Reminds me of a NW float in 2006. Flew 4300 mile from NC to Kotz, got on a bush plane and flew 70 miles north. Some 100 miles above the arctic circle we start a 13 day float trip. The pilot drops us on a small gravel bar he could barely take off from. We unload our gear, look around as we are surrounded my some of the most beautiful and remote land we have seen in Alaska. I look at the ground by my feet and see what? An Alaska Air baggage tag. Fook me. Such a seemingly simple thing, but turned my stomach. If I could have read the address, I would have mailed it to the dicshizzle that left it there. An accident, sure, most likely. But we all have a responsibility to leave a place the way we found it. Ironically enough, I hear from a guy that made a video of a float on the same river after our trip. He commented he saw my size 15 footprints and his buddies joked about bears wearing waders. Leave footprints. And flat grass as you say. Anything other than that is unacceptable. Below is where we found the Alaska Air tag. Such a perfect scene sans the baggage tag.

-Dan
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-03-2010 at 09:28. Reason: Names removed
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Funny post, but it is very possible that leaving behind the receipt was an accident - I know it's difficult for some people to fathum on an internet forum, but people aren't perfect 100% of the time, but it's nice to see that you pointed that you "didn't leave anything behind". Dang that ********* for degrading the AK landscape like that with that 3 inch by 1 inch piece of paper that he surely left there on purpose!
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-03-2010 at 09:29.

No quarter from you guys! Next thing you know, you'll want folks raking their footprints too

I was out this weekend at the end of a trail and had walked back in about 1 mile and on the ground under a tree was a "Chuckee Cheese Balloon"!! Did the Moose have a B-day party! Wish I had taken a picture for this post...........about the time you think you are where no man has gone before you find???????????????? Thanks for the post.

Default make it a stickey

Maybe this should be come a stickey, so we have a place to post the unique, wierd, funny or not so funny, stuff found while "hunting where no man has hunted before". Just a thought

Default And now, the REST of the story..... ;-)

So, 4 years ago poor ***********had biffed his ATV into the river and it won't start. He'd wished that he had told someone where he was going. Cold and wet, he tried to start a fire using the only paper in his possession: $20 dollar bills....

They smoldered and smoldered, not catching. And poor *********is shaking, cold and wet, when he remembers the gas receipt that he had been saving to use as a tax deduction..... Deciding quickly between a valid tax deduction for a dead person and no tax deduction for a warmed-up **********, he chooses the latter.

But DARN those HOLIDAY people, making their receipts from burn proof, waterproof, sun-degradation proof killer-paper! The fire would not start.

And 4 years later, his bleached out 100-year old looking bones are found next to a nice shiny new HOLIDAY receipt on the ground, at a beautiful campsite that has been patiently waiting for its next victim...
    OK, every last word of this post is fiction, but the first one was 100% true. I challenge you to come up with a better way to tell, as Paul Harvey would say, "the REST of the story".
    P.S. LuJon, this thread is not it. I believe I said a month from Tuesday, so please watch closely, 4 days from now for it.
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-03-2010 at 09:30. Reason: Names removed

What's a guy gonna do?

I was hunting an area reachable only by Super Cub a couple years back. We're talking VERY remote. The airstrip was nightmarishly rough and short. One day I went down the airstrip and into a copse of 20' tall spruce mixed with alder. It looked like a junkyard in there! There were at least 20 old five-gallon fuel cans in the old wooden carry crates. There was pipe...sheet metal...all kinds of odds n' ends. I was shocked. So much for the "good" old days.

****** *******....suppose he's Irish?
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-03-2010 at 09:31.

Default disappearing ink reciepts

I wish all businesses used reciepts that held up like that....

I put a reciept in my car for an item I bought and 2 weeks later when I needed it to return the item, the ink had almost completely vanished.

Man, thats a heck of a business model: "NO Reciept, NO returns" then use disappearing ink!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I wish all businesses used reciepts that held up like that....

I put a reciept in my car for an item I bought and 2 weeks later when I needed it to return the item, the ink had almost completely vanished.

Man, thats a heck of a business model: "NO Reciept, NO returns" then use disappearing ink!!!
    me too, snapped a brand new pole in valdez. i have been saving it just for this trip. well i didnt think anything of it because for once in my life i saved the reciept. when i get home i go find it, pull it out and ill be dang if there wasnt one spec of ink on it.

F.M. Do the winds blow up there? You might have been miles away from his camp, lol, or he might have been a trucker, something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    What's a guy gonna do?

I was hunting an area reachable only by Super Cub a couple years back. We're talking VERY remote. The airstrip was nightmarishly rough and short. One day I went down the airstrip and into a copse of 20' tall spruce mixed with alder. It looked like a junkyard in there! There were at least 20 old five-gallon fuel cans in the old wooden carry crates. There was pipe...sheet metal...all kinds of odds n' ends. I was shocked. So much for the "good" old days.

************....suppose he's Irish?
    "...looked like a junkyard..." You were just a "100 years too soon". Then, rather than a dump, it would be considered a "midden", an "..archaic or dialect a dunghill or pile of refuse...". Just guessing - but would suspect that if several hand hammered copper pots ; a musket; and a couple of big bear traps had been found there would have been a different reaction.
    Hope it was cleaned up
    Joe (Ak)
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-03-2010 at 09:32.

Default Return to Sender

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    F.M. Do the winds blow up there? You might have been miles away from his camp, lol, or he might have been a trucker, something to think about.
    I sure can't say where it was before I found it, in the beautiful campsite that I was staying in. But if he was a trucker and it blew from the road, then it blew about 22 miles.

Super Sleuth forum member Danattherock has located the owners address, and suggested to me that I mail it to him. I like that idea and do plan to do exactly that, except I want to add one twist:

I think I will print off this thread, and send him this too. So if anybody here has anything they'd like to say to Mr. Killian, post it here in the next day, OK?

Mr. ***********,
    Did you get your moose?
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-03-2010 at 19:36.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

A cub pilot I know always carries a few candy bars, typically Snickers, in the cockpit, for when he may get hungry on flights. When he's done he tosses the wrapper out the side window.

So, if you ever are in the middle-of-the-middle-of-nowhere Alaska wilderness and come on a Snickers bar wrapper...well now you know how it got there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast