Thread: New To Flyfishing Alaska

Smile New To Flyfishing Alaska

My buddy and I are making a trip to Alaska in Sept. he to hunt Moose and I to tag along and fish. My question is what should I expect and what kind off equiptment should I consider taking. I want to fly fish if at all possible. I am 67 and am really looking forward to visiting and having a successful trip so any help would be greatly appreciated. wcb8692@aol.com

A 5wt, an 8wt, floating lines, a 600 grain sinking head on the 8wt a spool of 30# maxima, a spool of 25# maxima, a spool of 0x and a spool of 2x rio tippet, a bunch of eggsucking leaches, a bunch of beads, a few flash flies, and a stimulator or two and you will be golden.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

check out alaskaflyfish.net,as well. they have an entire section on common gear,flies,well done "how to" guides on tying AK type flies,ect for fly fisherman.

Here is a link to the gear page for char and 'bows but have tabs for the different salmon speices, as well. good luck.

http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/RainbowArctic.htm

Also, you may get more response if you mention your trip dates and rivers or areas you will be in. Your request is a little vague on a big state and full of rivers that can be somewhat seemingly barren one week then be full of fish the next week.

Default PM

I sent you a private message.

Default Flyfishing Alaska

I was asked to put in my request the name of the river that I will be fishing. I appreciate the request and the response to my questions. I will be fishing the Squirrel River in Kotzebue. I hope this helps. Thanks again for your responses.

Default Advice

I have floated the Kelly and Kugururok (lower tribs of the Noatak) north of Kotz. I floated them both during late August in 2004 and 2006 respectively. I had great success on the dollies with #4 Polar shrimp, babine special, battle creek (my favorite) and purple egg sucking leeches with orange heads (the only salmon on those tribs to speak of are chum who have 8 mm orange eggs). We did great in the deeper runs and holes. Most fish were concentrated in those areas. Lots of river with no fish and then ... bam!!! dozens caught in the same hole/run. The timing of your trip (Sept) should be excellent for dollies and grayling. The grayling loved a bead head olive woolly bugger in size 4-6. They also hit all the flies for dollies. Like I mentioned, my favorite was the battle creek. We drifted it with most success but wet fly swing worked as well. I dont know much about the squirrel river. I flew over it (if I am not mistaken) on the way back from the Kugururok this last Aug. I used Eric Sieh ( Hagland Aviation ) in Kotz. His website is www.alaskaonyourown.com . He was a great pilot and will be doing all my future trips out of Kotz. Very skilled pilot, knowledgable, and very cool guy in general. He can land you in places most would not. Very good pilot. I got some great info from Walt Maslen www.northwestalaska.com . He rents rafts and other gear out of Kotz and is a fantastic resource and great guy. He helped me out when planning my trip on the Kug and I will use his service when a raft is needed out of Kotz for an upcoming trip. You definately need to contact him. He would be able to tell you lots of info on the Squirrel for sure. If I am not mistaken, he mentioned fishing that river himself when I was inquiring about good rivers in the area to fly fish. Talk to him. You will be glad you did. He frequents this forum as well. Name is Northwestalaska I think. If you have any questions or want any advice on camping/gear selection, let me know. I would be happy to talk to you about it. I would be happy to send you some pics of the Kelly and Kugururok (both fantastic floats) if you email me at danattherock@hotmail.com We spent 7 days on the Kelly and 12 days on the Kugururok and never saw another person. I could not recommend them high enough. Let me know if I can be of any assistance in the planning of your trip. I remember how hard it was to get good info on these remote rivers. Be glad to help out in any way I can. Your in for a treat!