Thread: Yet another hual rd success story with pics!

Default Yet another hual rd success story with pics!

Well to start out, me and 2 friends rolled out of Wasilla at midnight on 19 Aug. Got up to Coldfoot and helped out a co-worker/boss who was SOL and getting 3 flats fixed and needed a ride about 100 miles North where his truck was broke down w/ the rest of his hunting party. Anyways we gave him a ride and was told that there were Caribou everywhere just north of Atigun Pass, him and 3 other guys from work were hunting
    (2 archery and 2 rifle) for about 5 days and weren't able to connect. Well maybe when they were there but man it was slim picking from the 19th-26th. We got to the spot and set up the wall tent and laid out the cots and stove and decided to make an evening hunt which was the smartest thing we did on this trip. I put about a 400 yd stalk on what I thought was just a single bull and got within 96 yds and saw a bedded bull at 54 yds to my left, I waited till he stood up and put my 50 yd pin on his back and let it fly. My 100gr Muzzy went thru him like butter right thru the lungs and he was down in about 50 yds. I should have stayed put because after my war cry and dance and walk back to the truck where my buddies were watching from binos, the original bull walked over to the dead bull and just stood there for a spell just beggin to be next in line. Well after falling in a 32 degree ice creek up to my chest dragging the bull in a Seglin Sled we got the bull to the rd and butchered him up and had fresh camp meat for the rest of the week. We hunted for a few days w/ little luck or bou and finally one of my buddies got a monster bull at about 35 yds (big bull in pic). We broke camp the morning of the 26th and got checked in Coldfoot by a trooper and were back in Wasilla by 06:00 friday morning. I'm still amazed that we were able to pull 2 bulls w/ the lack of caribou compared to last years population when I got mine w/ a rifle. This was probably the best hunting trip ever. As pics show, we got bored on day 6 w/ no caribou to stalk, so we attempted our own version of deliverance (minus the hillbilly rape scenes and death) and only made it 1 mile down the Sag river before we flipped the canoe and had to drag it close to 1/2 a mile to the rd, then I marked that one off the to do list! yes we had life jackets and we glassed the river many times and lined the canoe several times too. I've been canoeing and kayaking most of my life and drive boats for a living so I fully know the dangers before attempting. but
    DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLOAT THE SAG RIVER IN A CANOE!!!!!
    Hope ya enjoy it.
    Billy Jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

congrats where are the bou pics?

So there's the pics of camp, the bou, deliverance and a prank we played on a friPictures-24.jpgend's meat pole. He had no luck either so we nailed old balogna to his meat pole, he found it days later under his tarp, figured it needed some meat tooPictures-38.jpg.

Default Good job

I love the meat pole. That is humor at its best. I may have to remember that one. Nice story and good photos to boot. Congrats,
    ARR

Nice work! Good story to go along with it. Several people told me the river was a lot higher before I had got there, by the looks of that canoe ride they were right. Did you guys hunt mostly on the other side of the river? Also, how'd that decoy work out for you guys? I'd talked to some other guys up there that used them on occasion just to use as cover to get closer when they ran out.

The Sag was really high on day one from the previous week's rain, but it only drizzled at best during our stay. When we launched it looked like a trickle from the binos, class I, but there was some class III stuff in there no doubt. going thru the choke point in the river at 10kts beam to (sideways) w/ volkswagon size boulders boiling up everywhere will not work! We hunted entirely on the west side of the river and brought the canoe just in case we needed to make a short crossing to hunt the east bank. We launched with our brand new Bowtech Admirals strapped to the carrying yoke since we planned to float a couple miles to where we seen some nice bulls on the other side. Plan to bring it next yr for just in case, but not for boredom. On another note the decoy seemed to work textbook on the first stalk of out hunt, where I got mine. We tried it on many other bou, cows, little bulls, mature bulls and groups. Came to the determination that it will only work on a mature bull, younger bulls shyed away and got nervous. Cows wanted nothing to do w/ it. It might work on a calf but we didn't have the heart to try it on the solo calves on the tundra. Groups seemed interested but one would always walk away early and the rest would soon follow. But a bull sometimes would run right for you for a spell, second guess himself several times and keep turning back and show lots of curiosity. When they seem stressed or too interested I'd stop and take a break behind the decoy. I'd advance when he'd begrazing or turned away or still bedded down just eyin me.
    Kinda hard to hind my 215 lb 6'2" frame w/ a bow behind that decoy but it does work, just takes lots of patience and trial and error.
    So the decoy will come on next yrs hunt aswell.

Great job, fellas. That one bull is a really nice one! Not that the other isn't, especially with a bow.

Congrat's,

Taylor

Interesting on the decoy. I watched a lone bull, a nice one, run at a pretty good clip for about a mile and a half to meet up with a herd he spotted. He was all alone and must have wanted the company, when he met up with the big bull, they just fed alongside eachother. It was kinda funny. My biggest trouble was finding enough of a break in the terrain to make a good stalk, since it's so gradual. I talked with one guy and he talked about a stalk he had where he hid behind a rock and had one come by at ten yards. I was like where the heck did you find a rock! I was just kidding, but trying to find good stalking terrain and caribou too was real tough. I am really excited about next year. Congrats again on your guys' success!