Thread: Huntin pics

Default Huntin pics

I just thought I would share a few pics from a recent sheep hunt. Descriptors of the hunt would be easy access, sub-legal rams, WET, rain, fog, low clouds, poor visibility, lot's of "tent time", sheep tag remains valid.

Interestingly enough, we spotted 25 rams in a group of 45 sheep, one of which we thought MIGHT be legal. We couldn't get closer until the sheep moved so we were hunkered behind a rock face shivering in the wind, rain, and sleet! Then we hear a gunshot, I'm like, hey, that was a gunshot! Buddy says just a rock falling, I'm like whatever, but was too stinkin cold to get out of the fetal psition to look around the rock face at the rams. So about 10 mins later I get up and look around the rock face and all the rams (except one) are looking back at there dead leader! It appears an out of state outfitter (info gathered later) whacked the ram we hoped might be legal! I assume the ram was legal, hope so, but dang the luck!
    dandy bull_resized.jpgAK Range sheep hunt_2010.jpg

Default unlucky ram

the unlcuky ram
    unlucky ram_resized.jpg

Ouch! That was painful to read. Sorry man.

Great pictures, though. Thanks for sharing! That's a beautiful bear there - would have been awfully tempting to turn that into a bear hunt, especially after the largest ram was out of consideration. Beaut of a caribou as well.

Yep, would have been an easy bear to harvest. My buddy declined and my grizz tag was filled on Kodiak last April - he'll be bigger next year right!

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    My buddy declined and my grizz tag was filled on Kodiak last April - he'll be bigger next year right!
    For what it's worth, if you were hunting in a 1 every year area (such as unit 13), you would have been legal to shoot him. The regulatory year starts over in July, and you can hunt bear in a 1/year area the year after killing one in a 1/4 years area. Or...you can just send me GPS coordinates and I'll go see what I can do.

If you were in a one in one area, you could have killed that grizz....

Wow, what a caribou! Did you find out if he sealed OK?

Thanks for the tip - I feel like a dummy for forgetting the new year started July 1 for grizz!

No, I did not hear of the ram was in fact legal.

I'm impressed that you brought your dog, that's awesome. I don't think mine would be up to it...he had a short career as a water dog, now he just works as a greeter at my house.

I can't tell from the pic if that ram was legal, I always say it's better to err on the safe side and pass on those horns that are close.

Any plans to head back out for another try?

I think I'm headed north for another try.

As for the grizz, the more I think about it, I really enjoy my spring grizz hunts so a fall bear would have to be REALLY nice.

Thanks.

Me Like!

Thanx.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I don't know where you were at but the F&G Officer in Coldfoot told us that he had confiscated 3 sublegal rams this season and that was on the 24th of August. Two of them were taken by an outfitters clients. By the pictures though it looks like you had a good trip. Congrats.