Thread: Broke the Losing Streak!

Default Broke the Losing Streak!

Man Am I glad to have bagged a moose this year. I was starting to wonder what was wrong with me. Its been the better part of a decade since my last one.

This years first hunt found me and a friend up in an area we had scouted previously and located a dandy bull in the area. We arrived 2 days before the opener. Saw a few cows in the area while we set up camp. The next morning there was moose all around. 10 cows, a couple of legal forks. All just milling about while we made breakfast. We said almost in unison "this is gonna be a gimme". I pondered maybe just holding off on the little ones and waiting for the big boy to roll out. Thats how confident I was we were getting a moose.

Opening day arrives. We can see the cows still milling around. I caught glimpse of a small bull cresting a ridge. We saw one of the forks running down another ridge into the trees.

And thats about how the rest of the week went. The moose became very nocturnal with the heat, then dissapeared for 2 days in the rain and wind. The closest that I came was when I tried intercepting a forked horn coming down the ridge. He was coming down at almost a trot, I was ready to give him a grunt to slow him when he stopped and looked back then became a blur. Then I saw the grizzly come out of the bushes...

So Last night I just kind of made a spur of the moment decision to hunt the evening magic hour. On my way It was raining, HARD. I about turned around. I got to my pullout and sat in the truck a bit, thinking about how it was gonna suck standing in that rain. And probably for nothing since I had yet to see a moose standing in it either.

But what the heck.....

So I head out to my meadows. I spot a cow and calf feeding in one. I watch them for a bit before heading to the other side of the trees to the other meadow. I stand at the other meadow for a half hour or so. I hear a snapping tree off to my right. I tense up. the sound was really close. Another 20 minutes go by. Nothing. Rain is pelting me. Its almost dark. I turn my back to walk the few steps to the other side of the trees to check the cow and calf. They are still there. And nothing new is with them.

Well, im going home. I turn around and there is a moose! already a 100 yards out in the meadow. I get the binoculars out. Spikes! Then I catch the figure of another moose. I binocular that one and its a cow. Yeah I was getting picky for a fraction of a second..... I chamber a round and crouch down.. The moose seems out there aways. There is nothing to rest on... He is walking fast..... I stand back up and he stops for a second to look ahead. I put the crosshairs on his shoulder and in an instant he is down like a sack of bricks. SWEET!

Time to start making some calls. All I have is a knife, a headlamp and mosquito dope. I had no expectations of getting a moose. This spot I got always looks good, but usually is only good for a cow and a calf if your lucky. I thought all I was going to do was get wet for a couple of hours.

Attachment 38466

I gotta extend my gratitude to my freinds and my Dad for helping me out last night. Even with 5 of us I didnt get home till 3 am.

Great story! It is a wonder sometimes how things work out when you don't expect it. Sometimes that rain isn't so bad after all. How far of a haul back to your truck? ---Tried to open the attachment but it won't open?? Thanks

lets try this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Great story! It is a wonder sometimes how things work out when you don't expect it. Sometimes that rain isn't so bad after all. How far of a haul back to your truck? ---Tried to open the attachment but it won't open?? Thanks
    It was probably less than a mile. With full packs it probably took us about half hour or so, with out stopping to get back to the road. Yeah next time Im desperate for some Harvesting im going in as Half-*****ed as possible!

Looks like a young and tender one, great eating I bet. Congrats

Congratulations!!! My losing streak also came to an end this year so I know how you felt before and after.
    Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by TalkeetnaAK View Post
    Congratulations!!! My losing streak also came to an end this year so I know how you felt before and after.
    Enjoy!!
    haha, we must have been replying to eachothers posts at the same time!

I always say thing can change in a matter of seconds when you are out moose hunting. Sit for hours or even day with nothing and then.... whammo moose on!

Congrats!!!

Smile

If it was less than a mile it was .99 or at least felt like it the next morning rolling out of bed

You can call me for help any time congrats again!

Glad to hear you connected, Matt.

After looking at your picture, though, I think I figured out your problem. You're hunting in your fishing clothes.

Well done Matt!
    Sometimes that last effort out at the tick of dark can be the deal maker for sure!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

"Yeah next time Im desperate for some Harvesting im going in as Half-*****ed as possible![/QUOTE]

Congrats on that Fine Animal,
    That's pretty funny quote above, probably did the trick. With all that scouting and prep ahead of time...... it figures, eh?

Pretty Cool to have a Solid Dad and Bunch of Friends like you've got, for sure.

So, Sounds like some nice shooting also, what did you take him down with?

Good One, enjoy your winter with all that "One last look," SUCCESS
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good eatin for sure. Nice! What was your rifle and cartridge setup?

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEAK49 View Post
    If it was less than a mile it was .99 or at least felt like it the next morning rolling out of bed

You can call me for help any time congrats again!
    Just thought id mention to everyone that you carried a hind quarter, front quarter and the "rack" out in one pack load. Again Thanks Jake.

thebear78 thanks too! He had to be to work at 4.a.m so he didnt get any sleep, and the day before he took care of his own moose.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

So, Sounds like some nice shooting also, what did you take him down with?
    I was using the old beater, the rem 700 ADL in 300 win mag. Ammo was some 150 grain Hornady GMX bullets I handloaded for my sheep hunt last year. I used the same load to get my sheep. They shoot real accurate and I got them winging out pretty fast. I dont remember how fast though. I made up 50 rounds of them and I think I will continue using them. The bullet didnt exit the moose though. Ill dig it out of the shoulder tomorrow. Shot was probaly at 200 yards. But I dont really know. the moose looked awfull small in the crosshairs at 9X. I didnt bother bringing my range finder either when I went.

Awesome job Matt. I tried to get ahold of you earlier this week, when i got the voice mail I just kew you were beating the brush. Hope to get me a black bear this weekend. PM me if you get around to it.
    Rich