Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ******** Review - Kotzebue

Thumbs down ******** Review - Kotzebue

*names removed* are thieves to say the least. They told us that they would fly one week in advance over the phone many times to spot the herd and make sure that the caribou were migrating. When we arrived in Kotzebue, *names removed* did not even pick us up and we had to go to the Nullagvik Hotel and spend the night as they had told us we were going to be picked up by someone upon our arrival. The next day we flew out and *names removed* was scouting the area with 2 of us (as he should have done on his own time at least a week before) and nobody saw any caribou from the plane. He landed in a place with absolutely no animals and told us to call him in 2 days to relocate us if nothing had been seen. We hunted all around for over 14 miles per person each day and no caribou were found in any direction. Two days later we called and she lied to us saying that the DFG had sent a plane to spot the herd and that they would for sure drop us into a better place when the report came in the next day. Fine. We waited another day and called back to hear her tell us that the weather was bad and she bull****ted us again (it was sunny in Kotzebue every day that week unfortunately). Everyone of us knew that we were **** out of luck with *names removed* at this point. So it was 4 days into our trip and we were to be picked up 2 days later... but seeing that even if we were to be relocated, we would have no time to hunt (since you get dropped and are not allowed to hunt the same day leaving the last day to get picked up), we called to be returned to Kotzebue. *names removed* did not pick us up as expected at this point and we called them many more times until they got out into the air to get us. Once back in Kotzebue we tried to get some of our money back from these thieves and barely got anything out of it. We then went to the DFG and asked about them sending the plane out and they said they had not done such a thing. The weather was very warm and sunny unfortunately which meant that the caribou migration was going to be a slow one, and this is an understandable fact about hunting, but after all of our efforts of trying to be relocated farther north we really understood what terrible people we were dealing with and saw that they would not help us if our lives even depended on it as it seemed. They used us as guinea pigs to tell them on the other side of the line if we found anything as well it seems. On the side note, *names removed* told us not to interact at all with the natives in Kotzebue because they were unfriendly and rude, but this was BULL****. They were all very nice people for the most part and we had absolutely no trouble. I think she said this so that the hunters don't interact and get hunting information and help from them as they were willing to share their knowledge with us. Be careful of transporters like *names removed*.

If anything else comes to mind I will keep updated.
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-02-2010 at 22:20. Reason: forum rules regarding negative comments about businesses

Might try Jim Kincaid next time. Also, Jared (msp?) is the newer guy at Hageland Aviation. Locals in Kotz are fine people, but some hunters have had bad experiences. A simple matter it is not. But like anywhere else, you get what you give. I don't think the lady was worried about you getting hunting info. The problem is a bit more complicated. Most visitors don't respect the land or it's animals enough and it is easy to understand how this would effect the opinion of folks that call that area home. Sorry to hear you had a bad trip. Contact one of the two guys up top next trip perhaps.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I wonder how long the mods will let this stay up?

To danattherock (Jim):

I spoke to Jared and he was right on with his information and he was the one to pick us up from the airport upon arrival. He seems like a straight shooter and I would definitely go with his company next time. I think the name is "Golden Eagle Aviation."

Might be someone else. The Jared I am talking about flies for Hageland Aviation right beside the AA terminal. Good guy from what I can tell. He took over when Eric Sieh got another job. Either he or Jim Kincaid is where my money will go next time I fly out of Kotz. Too many unreliable guys up in the fall making a buck. Jim and Jared live there year round.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Good to know... the Jared I met had blonde hair and was right next to the terminal... either way I that company may have changed the name. I will definitely look into Hageland for next time though.

Had to check my email to find out. His name is Jared Cummings and his email is cdm75g@gmail.com

Contact him or Jim Kincaid for your next hunt.

Jared is same guy/ kid as you speak of. Good pilot! His dad runs golden eagle out of Delta. So this might be where the name comes from and might be used by him up in Kotz as well?

That makes sense for sure.

Being Bull****ted is bull**** for sure.

I dont think Ive ever heard of ADFnG 'sending out a plane' to tell anybody where the Caribou are......I know the bio, Jim D and I dont think he does such.......nor Eric, our Brownshirt Trooper.....

Regardless, you cannot depend on a transported to find and put you on Caribou, they move too much.

The lead Cows of the WACH have showed up from the north Slope this week, and are establishing trails right now.
    After they go by, people will be able to tell you where to intecept them, untill mid Sept, its hit and miss.

Unless they are sleeping Caribou are not were they were at 1 oclock by 1:10..........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default to strangerinastrangeland

When I called *names removed* said "The DFG has sent a biologist out in the plane to search." Now I'm at a loss for words...
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-02-2010 at 22:24.

Unfortunately I am unable to ask you this in a PM but I am heading to Kotz next week, would you mind sharing how far north you were dropped off? (not looking for the exact location, just a general amount of miles north)

Please read the forum rules again before posting information such as that included in this post. We do not allow negative comments about individuals or businesses. If you have had a negative experience, you are welcome to say so and to invite folks to send you a PM or an e-mail to inquire about the specifics.

This thread will be edited to remove identifying information.

sorry Brian... my bad

"*names removed* told us not to interact at all with the natives in Kotzebue because they were unfriendly and rude, but this was BULL****. They were all very nice people for the most part and we had absolutely no trouble."

Ive actually heard that many times. Different times over the years, not specificly about ******-*** but in general.

I wonder why? Theres no Rabies epademic or Mad cow going around...~LOL!!~Though everybody is armed......

Fact is the "Tourista" is most times dressed in cammo 'round here, and often called "Cabellas Army" with a smile,and at least in Kotzebue the Fall 'invation' was dealt with by artists such as my wife making big $$ selling a summer-in-camp's worth of carvings and gatherings of beach ivory and jewlry, trinkets, crafts and such, Hotels being full, resteraunts full, people having a good time all around.
    We used to stop in passing in Kotz in early September moving back up river from the Salmon Camp, and do just that, go home with $$$.

That all changed when a recurring problem with aircraft being used to move Caribou to clients, disrupting the migration from the established trails, an airport conex full of hanging meat went bad, Meat was found dumped at the airport trash bins, ect, ect........ and the state, in its infinite wizdom, reduced the take of Caribou from 5 to 1 for non res hunters, and there was no serious loss of Caribou to justify that, but I do understand 85% of non res Caribou hunting was taking place here in unit 23.

Anyway, hopefully you can come up again, and have another stab someday , maby late September when they have established trails.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I've had numerous conversations with 3 transporters and the fish and game in Kotzebue and they have all said the Caribou are non existent basically in GMU 23 still. It has been hot and they haven't moved. Anyone thinking a transporter can control the weather or caribou are nuts. Remember when you use a transporter that you are merely paying for transportation. It's not a guided hunt as many people think the quality should be. Did they get you in and out safely is the basics you should really be looking for. Next time tell the transporter where you want to go! Anyone going on an early hunt should know it is hit and miss! Sounds like a miss to me. We are going in a couple weeks when the temps cool down and the caribou start moving. I'm sure anyone that went early in GMU 23 will be crying the blues on here. Mod should be prepared to keep it clean on here.

to flying:

What really ticks me off is that when someone tells you ahead of time that the animals are there without having scouted an area even though you are told this weeks in advance, you really see who is the big fat liar. I'm not saying the transporter is able to control migration and weather, but they can always relocate clients (especially when they tell the client that they do this ahead of time and over satellite phone... and don't get me wrong but everyday the weather both in Kotzebue and the hunting area was warm and sunny), and then telling the clients a lie to prevent them from flying out is disgusting.

"Our job, as your transporter, is to keep track of the herds and to put you in the best place to find them. " - Right off the site.
    We had no service like this.

I did a caribou flyout last year and researched like crazy before booking a transporter. I narrowed it down to flying with Jim Kincaid or Hageland and if I couldn't fly one of them with them I would pay a little extra money and fly out of Bettles. I'd read about way to many bad experiences with other Kotz transporters and wasn't going to chance my hard earned money on getting a dud transporter.

Turned out both were booked for the dates I needed so I flew out of Bettles with Brooks Range Aviation and had an excellent experience. Well worth the little extra money assosiated with flying out of Bettles.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Well worth the little extra money assosiated with flying out of Bettles.
    I always recommend Bettles when folks ask about hunting the WACH.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast