Thread: Do you boil caribou/moose bones for broth?

At the end of the cul-de-sac

Default Do you boil caribou/moose bones for broth?

This may be better suited for a different forum, but I am curious as to whether anyone boils their boils to make broth out of them? We've always done turkey and beef bones, but haven't tried big game bones before.

Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Anchorage, AK

Absolutely. However, 'boil' is not a good word in this case. Simmer is more appropriate. Best result when a bubble rarely breaks the surface.

Smear your bones with tomato paste, then roast them until deep brown. Pull the bones and put them in the deep kettle and put lots of onion, celery and carrot on the pan that held the bones. Saute those vegetables on that pan on the stove top until you can loosen up all the color from the bottom of the pan which is caused by the roasting and dripping of the bones with tomato paste. The tomato paste will carmelize (pincer - pronounced 'pin-say') and deep, rich flavor will result.

Once the vegetables have cooked slightly and the carmelization is lifted from the pan bottom to the vegetables, roast the veg for a while to develop their taste and color.

Add them to the bones.

Fill the bone kettle with cold water and put it over low heat. DO NOT COVER IT. That will produce a cloudy stock.

Add amounts of favorite herbs and spices to achieve a tasty stock tailored to your needs. Allow it to simmer slowly overnight at least and maybe up to a whole day.

Reduce it for richer flavor.

Throw away the bones and strain the veg out. Salt to taste after reducing.

Voila! Moose stock!

THROW AWAY THE BONES???? lol The dogs would hate

Mark is right, if you want to can some meat or broth this is the good stuff that you will enjoy later in a stew or dumplings or whatever.

Cook them down to the last bit.

NorthWest Alaska

Mmmmmmmmmmm..........Taylor's got me droolin'.........

There chicks have knifes ready, in case the photo op was a ploy to steal their marrow bones..

We leave alotta meat , fat and near the knees, cartalidge to slavor on.....Ya, on the Femor and Humerus bones.
    Then roast slowly if fat or slow boil if lean, and eat like corn onna cob with Salt n Pepper....
    I LOVE mine roasted.
    The dessert is a quick rap to the mid section with the back of the knife to suck or pull out the Marrows..Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!! Awsome!!!

A few times, when we had a huge surplus of "kips" we boiled, borke and simmerd the oils out and got about 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of Marrow oils and solids. That stuff was horsed down, like seal Oil with meats, very popular 'round here, like butter.....

As well, the wife will dice the brisket up, and toss in soup or just use three or four for "Kipchuks" ("meat on the bone")with meat and fat on the bones and slow cook.... eat with a free hand and a fork to keep the kids back with in the other hand.....simpley worth kickin' donky over
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....