Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why, oh why, is there no Walleye?

Default Why, oh why, is there no Walleye?

Wondering why in Alaska we don't have Walleye in the same lakes/ponds we have Pike? Nearly every lake in Canada that has pike, also has walleye, why not here? Walleye is by far the best tasting fresh water fish..IMO anyway. Many lakes in Canada and the misdwest support healthy populations of pike, walleye, bass, and even trout in the same body of water! We could really use a different game fish here. Walleye fishing is totally different than any fishing we do in AK, different tactics, tackle, etc. and it is available year round. Oh, did I say it tastes good? Anyone else ever give that a thought?

Nuttin' stopin' ya from movin' to Canada...

Alot of the lakes here in Ak aren't big enough to support walleye. They'd eat everything in no time.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Let's see- we've got five species of salmon, trophy rainbow trout, steelhead, arctic char, Dolly Varden, lake trout, grayling, whitefish, pike, burbot, sheefish, cutthroat trout . . . yeah, what we really need is an exotic species to give us a little variety in our fishing options. Why not largemouth bass, crappie, maybe some bluegill- sheesh. If you really want walleye that bad, go fish in Minnesota for Pete's sake and leave our native species alone.

Perhaps you should move to canada or the midwest then, I didnt come here to fish for the same crap as I did back there.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

I fish semi-professionally for walleye, and I love them.

But they would be about 20th on the list of fish I'd target in Alaska. Ranking right up with the "never" fish.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Alot of the lakes here in Ak aren't big enough to support walleye. They'd eat everything in no time.
    Even more so than pike?

why aren't there salmon in florida?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Regardless of how fun they are to catch or how great they are on the table, introducing non-native species is rarely a good idea. Exotic/invasive species are a major cause of current species extinctions. We can never know what their impact will be until they are well established, and in an area with some of the healthiest wild fisheries in the world, there is no justification for the risk involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Regardless of how fun they are to catch or how great they are on the table, introducing non-native species is rarely a good idea. Exotic/invasive species are a major cause of current species extinctions. We can never know what their impact be until they are well established, and in an area with some of the healthiest wild fisheries in the world, there is no justification for the risk involved.
    +1,000,000
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Regardless of how fun they are to catch or how great they are on the table, introducing non-native species is rarely a good idea. Exotic/invasive species are a major cause of current species extinctions. We can never know what their impact will be until they are well established, and in an area with some of the healthiest wild fisheries in the world, there is no justification for the risk involved.

Ding Ding Ding!.....muchos on the grassass Brian.

I bet they'd do fine, temps/seasons well within their range. Not sure on them eating out of house and home as I can't think of a single place in the midwest that is "overrun" with walleye. But that said, stocking and introductions are for kiddie ponds and dilapidated habitats that cannot be restored, if you begin to depend on it you get....well.....Washington State. (shiver)

Walleye are good eating, but the catching is like hooking and reeling in a wet wash cloth. Not much fight

geeze people really love jumpin to criticizing people. all he did was ask a question on why there are no walleyes up here.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    geeze people really love jumpin to criticizing people. all he did was ask a question on why there are no walleyes up here.
    Speaking personally, I wasn't criticizing him. I took his statements "We could really use a different game fish up here." and "Anybody else ever give that a thought?" to mean that he would like to see walleye planted up here. No criticism at all, but I was rather pointing out why it was not a sound idea biologically speaking.

Urggggg my boyfriend always makes off-handed comments about how the city is STUPID for killing off the lake with Pike in them. "Why can't we just have a couple lakes with Pike in them in town? Who wants to catch 10" Rainbows all day anyway?" or "Man if I was in charge I'd put bluegill, smallies, you guys need more variety."

He doesn't seem to grasp the fact that that's one of the stupidest ideas in the world....why don't we introduce RATS into anchorage so the cats have more to hunt while we're at it? That'll go over just as well!

Not directed at the OP....just a rant
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Several years ago there was a lake down on the Kenai peninsula someone had illegally introduced yellow perch. ADF&G poisoned it upon discovery. Walleyes have done incredible damage to the salmon populations in the Columbia River. Would be a shame to see them get established up here. We have enough problems with northern pike.

What do you mean? There's walleye in my freezer Right where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    OK, I will answer it - BECAUSE THEY DON"T BELONG IN ALASKA!!!

There!

Thanks,
    ClearCreek

Yeah, the current issues with Northern Pike should hopefully dissuade anyone from illegally introducing anymore species into non-native regions. For wanting other species; AK has plenty, you just have to be willing to lay down the miles to go find them.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Wondering why in Alaska we don't have Walleye in the same lakes/ponds we have Pike? Nearly every lake in Canada that has pike, also has walleye, why not here? Walleye is by far the best tasting fresh water fish..IMO anyway. Many lakes in Canada and the misdwest support healthy populations of pike, walleye, bass, and even trout in the same body of water! We could really use a different game fish here. Walleye fishing is totally different than any fishing we do in AK, different tactics, tackle, etc. and it is available year round. Oh, did I say it tastes good? Anyone else ever give that a thought?

I love Walleye as well, unfortunatley our states managers can't seem to handle the fish we already have so I wouldn't want to challenge them further....
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast